• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter

Reb

sad reality is many NON professional weather observers HERE, knew the storm was coming early and further north at least 24 hours in advance...........the extreme confidence expressed on tv that there would be no road problems for the northern areas was part of the reasoning used to NOT close the schools......and it was as if none of the tv guys even understood how cold the ground was and that unlike the normal snow that melts for an hour or so before the temps drop and it starts sticking, that this time the FIRST flakes stuck and the roads became treacherous within MINUTES, as cars drove over and melted a bit by pressure from the tires the cold ground and air refroze the flakes into ice.

maybe they will learn to err on the side of caution but i would not bet on it.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree BillT. In his news conference, the Superintendent of Knox County schools said something like "This wasn't forecast when I went to bed." Uh...if I can get alerts to changing weather conditions in the middle of the night, I'm fairly sure he, or one of his subordinates, can do the same. If nothing else, put the system on a delay and see how things develop. That doesn't cost a school day if nothing happens and keeps everyone safe by giving you time to call things off if it does...

Not sure if anyone's interested, but I finally heard from one of my best friends who lives in Marietta, GA. He works in Atlanta as a teacher. I asked him how he was fairing and here's his reply:

It's a disaster down here.  The worst I've ever seen.  They didn't let us out of work in time...much like most places around Atlanta.  I drove down I-575 on my way back from work when they released us at 12:45.  I had to stop 3/4 of a mile before Barrett Pkwy. and walk...yes walk....10 miles to my house in the snow.  As hard to believe as it is, I did it.  The sad things was many people did not even make it home until this morning.  The walk took me right at 2 hours.  I left work at 12:45...drove for 2 1/2 hours, then walked (and stopped to eat) for another 2 1/2 hours.  I finally got home at 6:00 P.M.  Tina left work at noon and didn't get home until 9:00 P.M.  My car is still parked on the side of the road on I-575.  It was a surreal day.  Kevin, I'm not kidding you when I say it looked like something out of the Walking Dead.  Every Interstate, highway, and side road was clogged with non-moving cars.  There were sirens everywhere as there was an accident virtually every mile or so.  I've never experienced anything like it.

His wife also works in Atlanta, btw. He's fairly athletic so I can see him walking that ten miles. That had (and still is) to be an ordeal for anyone caught unawares. Again, we see folks held too long by their employers/school systems until it becomes a true danger for the kids and employees to get home!

Just thought I'd share!

He is in good shape to walk those ten miles in two hours, that's a fast pace!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

In other news, Nation Signing Day is coming up.  Hope the Volunteers can hold onto that stellar class.

Carvers I'm very impressed with what Coach Butch Jones and staff have accomplished already this recruiting season. Those 14 Early Enrollees that are already in school seem to have more potential than any single class that Dooley brought in during his three years in Knoxville. If CBJ can hold on to what he has verbally committed now, this class will potentially be the best class the Vols have had in a decade. Of course, high school stars don't always translate to college success, but a higher ranked class is always a good indication of potential. Can't wait to see Jalen Hurd at RB for the Vols. My only worry for him is his two shoulder surgeries...

Speaking of recruiting, I think Vandy is now down to between 6 and 9 commits after defections and the commits James Franklin took with him to Penn State. Last I saw they were ranked anywhere from 88 to 93 nationally with this class.

Not just this class, right now Butch has a better jump on 2015 than any other coach/team does. Really quality guys that meet needs. This week while other coaches are scrambling after 2014 recruits, he's visiting a lot of 2015 guys. Mizzou made a hard push after Hendrix & Barnett the past few weeks, but I think we weathered that storm and right now they expect them all to sign. I'll be glad when it's over, though, and they are signed. We may go over 30 by way of some loopholes they've found which the NCAA will get rid of by next year. I think the Sawyers kid from Middle Tenn would put us over 30 for sure if he came here.

I don't want them to just take bodies because they can, but I hope they do go over 30 because the pay boards have been going crazy trying to figure out what the loopholes are. Butch said on the radio he's taking 35, but I don't think we're there yet, so maybe not.

Yep he is zippity! He's a gym rat, unlike his old friend who's 6 years older! Lol

That's an average of 5mph. I'm dubious. I'm in great shape and average 3... On the Appalachian Trail. In the Smokys.

Maybe on a flat trail I'll push 4.5.

My one day hiking record is 36 miles. Two days backpacking is 48.

That's an average of 5mph. I'm dubious. I'm in great shape and average 3... On the Appalachian Trail. In the Smokys.

Maybe on a flat trail I'll push 4.5.

My one day hiking record is 36 miles. Two days backpacking is 48.

May have taken him longer, Valkhorn. That's just what he said. I know he's a cyclist and also does 8k road races regularly. That's about all I can add...

Not just this class, right now Butch has a better jump on 2015 than any other coach/team does. Really quality guys that meet needs. This week while other coaches are scrambling after 2014 recruits, he's visiting a lot of 2015 guys. Mizzou made a hard push after Hendrix & Barnett the past few weeks, but I think we weathered that storm and right now they expect them all to sign. I'll be glad when it's over, though, and they are signed. We may go over 30 by way of some loopholes they've found which the NCAA will get rid of by next year. I think the Sawyers kid from Middle Tenn would put us over 30 for sure if he came here.

I don't want them to just take bodies because they can, but I hope they do go over 30 because the pay boards have been going crazy trying to figure out what the loopholes are. Butch said on the radio he's taking 35, but I don't think we're there yet, so maybe not.

Agreed Tabbycat. I think we grayshirt one or two of these guys. Paulk comes to mind for certain as he's coming off his injury. There may also be a blueshirt or two in there as well. I think we may lose Thomas...especially if we pick up Sawyers, though some analysts are saying we get both. Looks like we're out of the running with Adoree Jackson, who narrowed the field to four and UT was not in the list. But who knows with these kids? Mizzou did make a big push and I hope we keep both Hendrix and Barnett. I also saw that 247 Sports had UT at #3 in their "Best DB Class of 2014" list. Talk about a position of need!

Great first recruiting class effort for CBJ! And you're right, he has a good jump on the 2015 class already!

euro and gfs have the storm #2....its massive and has a historic track

Wow, no joke.  Here's the 0z Euro total snow through hour 240:

03cjDFv.png

It shows 3 systems bringing snow to the area.

#1 around hour 102 puts down a dusting to 2 inches mostly in the central part of the state.  Half inch Memphis to Jackson, 1-1.5 in Nashville, A little over two in the Upper Cumberland area.

#2 around hour 162 fairly minor, dusting Paris, Nashville, and TRI

#3 begins around 204 and by 240 the 24 hour snowfall map is still lit up.  Whole state gets a foot except for the areas you can see above that only get a measly half foot.

kv, I agree on a "blueshirt" or two. I know that's one loophole that Penn St has been using to get through their sanctions.

Re: Weather - a Birmingham TV station tweeted this about 4:30 and lit up my football twitter and I follow mostly TN people, but it's got people talking all over the SE. I'm kind of surprised they'd tweet that 9 days out. They did say it's just a model.

BfQeREpCAAE4FaY.png

kv, I agree on a "blueshirt" or two. I know that's one loophole that Penn St has been using to get through their sanctions.

Re: Weather - a Birmingham TV station tweeted this about 4:30 and lit up my football twitter and I follow mostly TN people, but it's got people talking all over the SE. I'm kind of surprised they'd tweet that 9 days out. They did say it's just a model.

BfQeREpCAAE4FaY.png

They was talking about snow for next weekend on our sports show here in Nashville on the radio,it was rather comical listening to them saying we were gonna get 10",i'm going to the store and buy all the bread tonight..lol

Yep, Jax, people I follow on twitter took it literally. I know better because of you guys, but if not, I'd probably be as excited as all get out. Reading here, I've learned to wait until it's really really close to get excited. But it's fun to read about potential storms. I'm crossing my fingers, though!

Yep, Jax, people I follow on twitter took it literally. I know better because of you guys, but if not, I'd probably be as excited as all get out. Reading here, I've learned to wait until it's really really close to get excited. But it's fun to read about potential storms. I'm crossing my fingers, though!

Yesterday at work my boss happened to look at the extended forecast on Weather Underground (his preferred weather site). It was calling for 5-12 inches on snow for the 7-8 FEB period. He immediately started spreading the alarm among co-workers and family. I tried to explain it was too far out to get ramped up just quite yet but that didn't slow him down any.

In any event, this one will be fun to track!

If we have the kind of model agreement we had last time the night before and Knox County schools are not closed Monday, I'm keeping my kids home.  We have a school superintendent that bases closings on Matt Hinkin's forecast (literally, he said he watched the local news the night before and they didn't show anything), gotta take matters into our own hands.  The last one cost me $500 in bumper cars deductible, I'm not risking the school pickup chaos again.

If we have the kind of model agreement we had last time the night before and Knox County schools are not closed Monday, I'm keeping my kids home.  We have a school superintendent that bases closings on Matt Hinkin's forecast (literally, he said he watched the local news the night before and they didn't show anything), gotta take matters into our own hands.  The last one cost me $500 in bumper cars deductible, I'm not risking the school pickup chaos again.

I don't understand how they did not know that MRX had issued a WWA at 4am that started at 10am....why would you not check again when you got up in the morning. I hope he won't make that mistake again. My 16 YO daughter is still traumatized by her 2 mile drive home. 

I'd take it, but it's backed way off from the prior 3-4 runs. The next few storms will have to sort that one out.

It didn't back off necessarily it just moved the heavier precip north instead of over TN.  This is expected that far out.  The solution will waffle back and forth a bit.  What has been comforting is, the Euro hasn't(or hasn't yet) lost the storm completely or had dramatic swings in solution. 

Archived