• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you probably know this, but the Euro looks much colder for you. If it comes in cold again tonight you should be ok.

DCA isn't Manchester. You guys get .25 and you squeeze out 3.5 inches. DCA gets .25 and maybe a slushy dusting. It's been marginal for every event for a couple of years now. I can see why snow. would be skeptical.

The boundary layer is pretty warm pretty late, I think DCA is 37 at 03Z. That would waste a lot of precip as rain.

Nam has been warmer than the euro/gfs. It could be right for sure though. We have a history of being on the warmer side of guidance. With that said, I'm happy with the run. The rug is still under us. As discussed yesterday, ne md will prob win the accum title. I could squeeze 2 or maybe a tad more.

I know you probably know this, but the Euro looks much colder for you. If it comes in cold again tonight you should be ok.

I'd like to see it have more support...esp since the NAM has a wet bias and the GFS has been dry...If the GFS holds, I have to imagine the euro had a kooky run and will come into line with the other models in the 0.15 - 0.25" range for DC

DCA isn't Manchester. You guys get .25 and you squeeze out 3.5 inches. DCA gets .25 and maybe a slushy dusting. It's been marginal for every event for a couple of years now. I can see why snow. would be skeptical.

True for the most part but this isn't a typical event. Most storm don't see a 20 degree drop in 8 hours. If they can get into a decent band when temps crash,  even if it's just for an hour or two before the good precip. cuts off they can get 1.5-2.0. I'm certainly not guaranteeing it.

I'd like to see it have more support...esp since the NAM has a wet bias and the GFS has been dry...If the GFS holds, I have to imagine the euro had a kooky run and will come into line with the other models in the 0.15 - 0.25" range for DC

We'll see. I'll be up as usual. Nam looked about the best it has at h5 so far. Euro was pretty juiced sw of us during the afternoon tomorrow. It could hold but will likely trim a bit if I had to guess.

I guess you don't count the SREF and RGEM/GGEM?  Both seem inline with  the Euro on precip.

JB just posted on the WxBell site that the 12km QPF on their site was screwed up.  Said the 4km was good.  RE: The NAM

ETA: "I am not a QPF fan but it appears the NAM 12KM is 2 to 3 times above what is actually printed out on our site, and its counterweight is to decrease snow by 2 to 3 times. The HIRES looks good."

LWX is being disciplined about not issuing winter weather advisories because they don't

think anything of consequence will stick till after sunset.   They have another model cycle or two

before needing to up any advisories.   Anyone know the rules on lead time for issuing advisories?

In their AFD, they talk about trimming DC and points south and east.   The new DC snow climatology seems to be

coating to an inch.  Wisconsin Avenue out to Rockville is a different world.

Just checked the guidance and it seems like many are more focused on the QPF total and not so much on the warm temps and how much QPF will be wasted at the start.  I live near DC and am expecting a light slushy coating of the taller blades of grass. The 2" streak will not be broken, I'm nearly 100% certain of that.

Archived