• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

What the heck is LWX seeing? They keep raising snowfall, both likely and max. I'm having a hard time finding positives at this stage.

If you're referring to their snowfall map, it is computer generated.

Ok, I can go along with that, but what's the computer basing it on?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I can go along with that, but what's the computer basing it on?

No idea. But they change constantly, and are never consistent with point and click or the zone forecasts. During one if the last events, my point and click, the zone forecast, that snow map AND the advisory were not the same in regards to snow amounts. Some were computer generated while others were human entered.

I'd take that snow map with a grain of salt, at least with how often it changes. Especially the min/max potential.

meh, those forecasts rise and fall with each model run and are 2-3 hours behind them to boot so that by the time they update them the next suite of model runs begins in an hour

Lwx computer generated stuff is useless imo and the only time I'm forced to look at it is when it's posted here. Even a good weenie is a better forecaster than that output. Although I'm pretty sure the dc proper forecast is accurate. Ian might want to rent a car and head to Elkton.

Vinyl, I recall your post from earlier today and I have been watching the pressure falls, but did not believe they were that large, and this hour is less than the previous 2 hours

the importance is location and separation from the main low...the main low is also taking on a very strange appearance, very strung out... not sure what to think of that yet... precip is breaking out in W TN which is kinda strange... still haven't analyzed that closely yet

No idea. But they change constantly, and are never consistent with point and click or the zone forecasts. During one if the last events, my point and click, the zone forecast, that snow map AND the advisory were not the same in regards to snow amounts. Some were computer generated while others were human entered.

I'd take that snow map with a grain of salt, at least with how often it changes. Especially the min/max potential.

It's funny we are talking about this. Dec 8 and 10 I exceeded their max and Dec 14 I missed it by 1".

I could see you guys get a big surprise out of this but I don't see any way I could exceed 2", probably not 1".

It's funny we are talking about this. Dec 8 and 10 I exceeded their max and Dec 14 I missed it by 1".

I could see you guys get a big surprise out of this but I don't see any way I could exceed 2", probably not 1".

I'm not expecting anything over 2" here. I think areas east of me will do better. Can see someone getting 4-5" in Cecil

What the heck is LWX seeing? They keep raising snowfall, both likely and max. I'm having a hard time finding positives at this stage.

Our biggest hope is that the northern vort can get some front end moisture to us. Once the transfer starts we are screwed out here. I hope DCA breaks the streak. But I agree with some of the earlier posts. This storm is for BWI and north east of there.

*shrugs* both max and likely went down for me with the latest afternoon update.

For the most part those maps seem meaningless. The 90th percentile wording seems misleading. There should be some sort of alert that the max potential is for extremely rare boom potentials, imo.

Wow, pretty bullish for APG. Looks like mean snow is a bit less than 6 inches. Good cluster between 2-4 which is about what I expect.

Yeah...I don't buy the estimated snow accumulation.  Looks like it's going for >10:1 ratios.  I could see 12:1 near the end of the storm, but we'll probably lose a bit of precip to rain/mixing at the onset.  Still, the estimated precip is looking good...if we want to trust the SREF.  Huge amount of spread for something <24hrs away from start though. 

Archived