joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was once thought to be a slight warm-up is becoming much more...it's now above freezing (34) in INL...which is about 25 degrees above normal.

I thought the rain was bad enough here...but even Green Bay got heavy rain within 36 hours after having temps in the -20's.  Mother Nature can be cruel. :)

Everyone made such a big deal of the arctic outbreak earlier this week...but at least in the Upper Midwest, the current warm-up is just as anomalous in the other direction. 

Parking lot is an ice rink

That's exactly what my 700' driveway looks like and many dirt roads around here ... I have been adding sand and salt daily but I need a truck load.  No worries it will eventually get better as there is one thing about snow and ice in this area it will melt before too long.

What was once thought to be a slight warm-up is becoming much more...it's now above freezing (34) in INL...which is about 25 degrees above normal.

I thought the rain was bad enough here...but even Green Bay got heavy rain within 36 hours after having temps in the -20's.  Mother Nature can be cruel. :)

Everyone made such a big deal of the arctic outbreak earlier this week...but at least in the Upper Midwest, the current warm-up is just as anomalous in the other direction. 

Green Bay is certainly a candidate for the ****tiest luck since Christmas. They have had a total of 0.2" since December 26th (and no measurable snow since December 30th), suffered through prolonged brutal cold, then get rain.

Interesting pics hm. Calling snow depth 5" here. Certainly spots with more but also certainly spots with less. Of course the sun was out today too. January thaw. Hopefully we salvage enough snow after tomorrow. 
Interesting pics hm. Calling snow depth 5" here. Certainly spots with more but also certainly spots with less. Of course the sun was out today too. January thaw. Hopefully we salvage enough snow after tomorrow. 
That snow is only worth something with a couple inches covering it up, as it is now..... Worthless and ugly.

Interesting tidbit I found on DTX facebook.

Through Jan 11th, snowfall at DTW of 39.2" is SECOND SNOWIEST to-date since records began in 1880. The only season with more snow having fallen thru Jan 11th is 1974-75 (44.4"). Flint is 3rd snowiest thru Jan 11th, behind only 1951-52 & 2008-09, though their records do not go quite as far back.

Absolutely anything could happen the rest of this winter (good OR bad), but when you add this to the record snow seasons of 2004-05, 2007-08, 2008-09, & 2010-11 its really mind boggling to think of the kind of snow stuff that has occurred here since this young century began.

Amazing the difference between 5 nights ago and tonight. Feels like a March evening out there. 42° currently. 44° at ORD.

Thinking it may stay above guidance tonight.

A push for 45° tomorrow?

Calling for a high of 47 here tomorrow, I bet we hit 50 easy. Hopefully we can get some sun to make it feel even nicer out.

I just went for a walk. We actually still have about a foot of snow left in many places around here. The new snow melted rapidly, while the older snow is not going anywhere fast. It will make a good base. I'm ready for this overachieving thaw to be done.

Stebo, I too noticed the black ice. I wasn't expecting it with temps in the upper 30s and nearly went sliding down the hill while walking. Interesting, as the top of the snowpack is not really frozen, yet the water running from it is.

At 37° here. No ice to be seen on my driveway at least.

EDIT: Snow depth at home down to 5". More bare spots opening up.

Snow cover really thin in Kenosha and becoming thin in Racine. Only a couple inches left north of the border.

Archived