SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's hoping for an historic cold and snowy January 2014 for the entire subforum. Drumbeats are that it will begin in an exciting fashion.

The drumbeats could very well be off-key though.

We'll see.

(I'll pass on the historic cold. Just give me the major/historic snowstorm)

I was in the REU at the National Weather Center in summer 2011 and spent the summer in Norman.  The REUers were housed with the Hollings scholars.  Best summer ever ...

Good deal! Yep, it's a fantastic program. I spent the summer at the Huntsville WFO for my Hollings internship. It was definitely a great experience!

lol, January 1994. It's rarified territory for Indiana cold. 

It featured Indy's coldest (-27º) and fourth coldest (-22º) temperatures in recorded history. And has the second longest streak of below zero min temps, with eight days in a row (#1 is Dec 1963 with nine days).

It's just...no, it ain't happening.

It featured Indy's coldest (-27º) and fourth coldest (-22º) temperatures in recorded history. And has the second longest streak of below zero min temps, with eight days in a row (#1 is Dec 1963 with nine days).

JB is full of it, I don't know what he is looking at but the models in the mid and long range show nothing even remotely like Jan 94, hell most of them show near to slightly above average especially the further south you go.

Maybe JB is talking about monthly anomalies ending up similar but he should be clear.  

Latest esrl ensembles tank the EPO again in early January and the recent daily runs of the CFS for January have been very cold for the subforum. Weeklies are very cold through mid month. Likely to not be as cold as 1994 but that winter may end up being a decent analog for this one when it's all said and done.

Archived