joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models didn't really have things increasing around MKE until later this evening so the bust calls might be premature.

"OVER THE LAKE...AND PUSH INLAND BY EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON. THE

LATE AFTERNOON RUSH HOUR SHOULD PROBABLY BE OKAY...WITH JUST SOME

INITIAL LIGHT SNOW. BY 6 PM...WE SHOULD SEE THE SNOWS BEGIN TO

INCREASE IN INTENSITY FAIRLY RAPIDLY...WITH THINGS GOING STRONG

THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. "

And yes it's too early to say bust.

Looks like northward progression of the precipitation shield has slowed/stopped. Wondering if the recent trends for slightly higher totals in Chicago may bust. Oh by the way, first time poster and long time follower. Can't wait to see what the rest of the year has in store. Thanks for all the info and fun thus far :)

"OVER THE LAKE...AND PUSH INLAND BY EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON. THE

LATE AFTERNOON RUSH HOUR SHOULD PROBABLY BE OKAY...WITH JUST SOME

INITIAL LIGHT SNOW. BY 6 PM...WE SHOULD SEE THE SNOWS BEGIN TO

INCREASE IN INTENSITY FAIRLY RAPIDLY...WITH THINGS GOING STRONG

THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. "

And yes it's too early to say bust.

Maybe they thought it would ramp up quicker but models verbatim didn't really increase the intensity more substantially until a bit later.  In any case, the signal for enhancement has been very consistent but it'll be more of a red flag if it doesn't get going within the next few hours.

Maybe they thought it would ramp up quicker but models verbatim didn't really increase the intensity more substantially until a bit later.  In any case, the signal for enhancement has been very consistent but it'll be more of a red flag if it doesn't get going within the next few hours.

I thought the signal has been pretty lackluster all day, especially on hi-res models like the NNM which I would expect to be bullish. The upgrade to a warning was a surprise to me.

I thought the signal has been pretty lackluster all day, especially on hi-res models like the NNM which I would expect to be bullish. The upgrade to a warning was a surprise to me.

NMM has a pocket of .5 liquid over there, but I see what you're saying as sim radar doesn't look that good.

That oncoming first wave is quite the snow producer west of Peoria.

NWUS53 KDVN 140138LSRDVNPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL738 PM CST FRI DEC 13 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0738 PM     SNOW             NE GOOD HOPE            40.56N 90.67W12/13/2013  M4.0 INCH        MCDONOUGH          IL   TRAINED SPOTTER            STILL SNOWING

watching the returns move northward towards Chicagoland is painful. I said it last night....I just don't see much happening here. The precip is moving more to the east than to the north. And the northern fringe is being eaten away as it tries to go north of I-80. So close, yet so far on this one...

This has been my thinking all day and I gotta agree. I think the GFS is about to pull a fast one on all of the other models.

Archived