SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the disjointed/suppressed look of earlier runs on both the GFS and the EURO fit the pattern pretty nicely. It's been the MO around these parts the last 5-6 weeks. I'd be dumbfounded if this ends up being a completely phased western Lakes cutter. 

The latest runs are now showing a bit more ridging over B.C with should help the flow amplify a bit but not to the point that this thing tracks to Duluth.

I think this event has the potential to be a good snow for a lot of the subforum. There is only one main concern I have that I'd like to see worked out in future model runs:

If you look at the 126 hour time frame at 850, you'll see that the 850 low is just to the south of the region, which probably accounts for the spike in temperatures just before the onset of precip. 

post-9209-0-81650200-1386616239_thumb.gi

It's good where it is right now, but any further north and we could be dealing with a warm tongue in the upper layers = sleet :( But these types of events make for excellent tracking, so I'm excited about that.

Yeah the spot the storm is in is good for some synoptic snow here, but also LES.

Looks to start Saturday, so 5 days out. Will feel better if models hold steady through Wednesday AM.

EURO brings the 4" line from here back to Hannibal, MO. @ 10:1

Heaviest axis from Quincy to Berrien County to over where SnowFreak is.

The latest runs are now showing a bit more ridging over B.C with should help the flow amplify a bit but not to the point that this thing tracks to Duluth.

If you look at the H5 EURO at 120, we could actually afford a bit more interaction between the streams without things getting warm. Famous last words but I'm not really worried about rain with this.

If you look at the H5 EURO at 120, we could actually afford a bit more interaction between the streams without things getting warm. Famous last words but I'm not really worried about rain with this.

Are you back in Toronto for the holidays? Yao think rain isn't likely but makes you wonder if the GFS is on to something being the farthest north model. It actually looks like the 00z eURo

I think this event has the potential to be a good snow for a lot of the subforum. There is only one main concern I have that I'd like to see worked out in future model runs:

If you look at the 126 hour time frame at 850, you'll see that the 850 low is just to the south of the region, which probably accounts for the spike in temperatures just before the onset of precip. 

It's good where it is right now, but any further north and we could be dealing with a warm tongue in the upper layers = sleet :( But these types of events make for excellent tracking, so I'm excited about that.

I was taking a look at this. The ECMWF and GFS have a 850mb low around Springfield IL, surface low in TN/KY at 120 hours. I suppose there could be some heavy snow around I-80. The ECMWF keeps those 850mb temps around 0C for I-70, Indianapolis area, so that would mean rain for people in the river valleys (Ohio Valley, Tennessee Valley.) 500mb doesn't look very deep.

12Z GFS December dream run for YYZ, 12"+ verbatim. Nowhere to go but down... we'll see where the models trend.

Obviously too early to talk accums but track looks good for YYZ with coastal transfer strengthening the system and feeding moisture into the storm as it would affect the province.

This has classic mutliprecip type major winter storm for the STL metro.

I expect 2-5" snow with either rain, ZR, or Sleet.  If we get really lucky it will be mostly or all snow/sleet. 

This will be our third winter storm.  If you count the over-runner as one.

Expecting 2"+ tonight so yeah.  Lucky us down here so far.

12Z GFS December dream run for YYZ, 12"+ verbatim. Nowhere to go but down... we'll see where the models trend.

Obviously too early to talk accums but track looks good for YYZ with coastal transfer strengthening the system and feeding moisture into the storm as it would affect the province.

I asked Santa for a two footer for Christmas, so maybe not.

I asked Santa for a two footer for Christmas, so maybe not.

Your one hilarious guy Canuck ;) Your back on the 20th, no?

A few things on this. The HP up across Northern Ontario should help enforce more CAD thus keeping temperatures below freezing across the Great Lakes area. The strength and positioning is key with this HP as well, since it will determine how much cold air is available and snow ratios.

Secondly, the phasing. Models show a wave of moisture from the Gulf phasing with the clipper coming from the west. When and where they phase is the key point. If the phasing occurs early like the 12z GFS or a bit later like the GGEM; will determine how much snow falls.

Very interesting set-up. The ridge out west like TOBLIZZARD mentioned could be a key element for us. And I'd expect another cold outbreak and a clipper following this.

Looks similar to the Jan 99 storm? No?

Your one hilarious guy Canuck ;) Your back on the 20th, no?

A few things on this. The HP up across Northern Ontario should help enforce more CAD thus keeping temperatures below freezing across the Great Lakes area. The strength and positioning is key with this HP as well, since it will determine how much cold air is available and snow ratios.

Secondly, the phasing. Models show a wave of moisture from the Gulf phasing with the clipper coming from the west. When and where they phase is the key point. If the phasing occurs early like the 12z GFS or a bit later like the GGEM; will determine how much snow falls.

Very interesting set-up. The ridge out west like TOBLIZZARD mentioned could be a key element for us. And I'd expect another cold outbreak and a clipper following this.

Looks similar to the Jan 99 storm? No?

Might wanna go back and look at the maps from 1999.  The upper level setup as depicted now looks nothing like that.

Archived