Newest Member
    joxey
Florida ?

smog strangler

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anybody from Florida ?

As you could see from the wet season thread, I used to be the top poster from FL.  After a while I became the only poster, and gradually began to lose interest in mostly talking to myself.  That combined with the fact that we've had back-to-back-to-back boring tropical seasons despite all of them looking promising early on resulted in me needing a break from the board!

This dry season has also been pretty lame.  The only excitement we normally get during the dry season is either:

- squall lines from vigorous cold fronts which can produce tornadoes / widespread damaging winds, but those are more common during El Ninos and we haven't really had any this year

- crisp cold mornings with frost down to Lake O, but with the persistent -PNA pumping up the southeast ridge and a lack of a -NAO we haven't had any cold weather to discuss (besides the transient "cool down", which really just means a couple days near normal before back to above normal)

- wild fires, but those mostly come near the end of dry season once the vegetation has had several months to dry out and the sun starts becoming strong again; but before the rains

So I believe my hiatus since before thanksgiving has been well justified. :)

Wow this really sucks.....what is going on here, I don't get it, how absolutely no cooler (meaning more normal) air is filtering in here at all?? In the next 10 days, the lowest low we will eek out in Orlando is one lousy 61. Not even one day on the next 10 to even drop below 60!! The normal low temperature is around 53, yet these temps just keep rising! Wtf? And the coolest high in the next 10 days will be 75, that's it--once--when the normal is around 72. And that's with the last week way above normal (and even way before that).....

Out in Phoenix where my family is, they have had below normal temps, its been on the cold side the past week. But there, just like here, when you consider that you have most of the year to be hot, its not a big deal. Cold in Phoenix, SoCal, or Florida is still a joke compared to 90% of the country....I'd much rather be having below normal temps for a change of pace than this never ending pattern of crap never achieving the nice temps we should be having this time of year. I'm sure people in PHX are ok with it--it doesn't last forever & people realize before you know it, the hot season comes back soon enough!

I am watching football, 3 different games all in heavy snow. Yet we cant seem to get even one day here where we can open the windows & not run A/C--some normal temps--some low/mid 70s??? That's not asking too much!

Before you know it, one week runs into the next, and it'll be March, and the 7 months of humid sticky hell will be around until October. Lovely. Thankfully I am finally moving out of Orlando in March after being here for enough years to realize I am over it, back to the dry heat, and mountains where you can always go on the weekend for some cooler temps & scenery. But it would be nice to have my last winter here be a decent one. 10-15 degrees above normal is ok here & there (it happens).....but practically every freaking day since the beginning of November?? It cant be "global warming" (I'm kidding btw) because pretty much everywhere else but here is below normal!

And for those coming here on vacation from some northern spot, yeah if you came from 35 degrees, you might say 85 feels ok. But trust me, 70 or 75 would feel just as nice to you, maybe even nicer. Because if I had been in a frigid place & suddenly 3 hours later I was here, 70 would feel like 80 anyway!

Ridging stretching from off the coast of British Columbia through Alaska and the Aleutians has been extremely persistent all season.  The magnitude and exact position of the ridge axis has fluctuated, but has one ridge breaks down a new one forms in its place.  Cold air advection downstream the east side of the ridge has provided strong synoptic forcing for a persistent trough over most of North America, and southerlies ahead of that trough promote warm air advection which builds in a downstream ridge over us!  Here in FL, we happen to be too far east to get in on any of the cold air spilling in from Canada, and nothing changes for us until changes occur upstream.  A ridge over Alaska can be favorable for very cold air making its way all the way to south FL, but only when working in conjunction with a PNA ridge or a Greenland block. 

Such a pattern can be very stable and long-lived, but being that it developed in late Oct / early Nov, it would be almost unprecedented for such a pattern to last through Feb.  I'm sure we'll get some cold weather, just give it time. :snowman:

Mostly in Florida these days.

Orlando sucks because you don't benefit from the sea breeze.

Wet season is hot and humid, but daily storms and spouts often make for fun times.

Dry season temps drop, and sunsets are awesome.

If you're a Floridian, learn to embrace the evening/nightime.

GET TO THE BEACH. You'll be much more happy! In fact, the above is why most likely don't bother posting....too busy at the beach, playing with gators and snakes (ha), enjoying a boat, and loving life versus dreading the cold.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing is pretty certain - we don't have to worry about citrus damage this year; hardly even any concern about what even folks in Fla might consider coldm at all.

Earlier, I was looking at sfc temps when the GFS was off it's rocker already thinking "well, there goes the orange juice price.".

Becoming more interested in weather in Florida! 3 weeks from today I'll be headed down to lake toho for the week...hopefully it will be somewhat stable and no brutal cold fronts...sorry for being selfish!

Going back to 1960 when I was 5 and can trust my recollections, this has got to be one of the top 4 warmest winters in the northern part of the state (at least that I can remember). In either 1964 or 1965 (can't recall which) we never even turned on the heater - that was the worst; had some warm ones in the 1990's - but nothing other than that mid-1960's winter when it didn't at least freeze a few times has been like this (only had 3 so far this year and they were light). Usually by now we've had a dozen or so nights in the 20s and at least a few days that never saw 50. You'll probably get your wish, but I wish your wish was for April! We need to kill the dadgum bugs!

Of course, if you are going south of Ocala, you never really have any true cold to worry about (except 1983, 1985 and 1989 - just to be precise).

Enjoy your trip! And please - bring some Gamecock Cold and leave it north of I-4!

oconeexman,

Don't know where in Florida you're traveling to, but there is a rough line that separates "real" Florida from Georgia - both climate and topo wise.

Panhandle and north of Perry to Cross City to Micannopy to east of Starke to South of Jacksonville are really more Georgia.

Here's a rough map.

Massive temp differences from Oct - April, and year-round vegetation differences.

post-180-0-88480700-1388286801_thumb.gif

oconeexman,

Don't know where in Florida you're traveling to, but there is a rough line that separates "real" Florida from Georgia - both climate and topo wise.

Panhandle and north of Perry to Cross City to Micannopy to east of Starke to South of Jacksonville are really more Georgia.

Here's a rough map.

Massive temp differences from Oct - April, and year-round vegetation differences.

I've always said north of I-4 for the sake of being lazy. ;) But yeah, this map is a good one. Winters are quite a bit different in Tallahassee than Tampa, or even Jacksonville for that matter.

I've always said north of I-4 for the sake of being lazy. ;) But yeah, this map is a good one. Winters are quite a bit different in Tallahassee than Tampa, or even Jacksonville for that matter.

I'll agree with you except on the Jax thing - depends which side of the river you're on - believe me, I grew up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty incredible rainfall totals from last night in Palm Beach county. Even more impressive, these were all in less than 24 hours... with most of that rain falling in a matter of only 6 hours!

On radar, it looked like some sort of small-scale meso-low developed along the tail edge of a stationary front. No movement plus lift in a high moisture environment, and this is what you get.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

1155 AM EST FRI JAN 10 2014

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

RAINFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

FLORIDA

...PALM BEACH COUNTY...

1 WSW HYPOLUXO 22.21 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

1 SW PALM BEACH 16.03 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

LANTANA 15.04 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

1 ESE LANTANA 14.79 700 AM 1/10 COCORAHS

BOYNTON BEACH 13.13 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

1 E LANTANA 12.46 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

2 NW BOYNTON BEACH 11.00 800 AM 1/10 COCORAHS

PALM BEACH 10.75 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

1 SW PALM BEACH SHOR 9.35 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

1 NNW LAKE WORTH 8.72 800 AM 1/10 COCORAHS

1 N LAKE WORTH 8.58 800 AM 1/10 COCORAHS

LAKE WORTH 7.98 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

JUNO BEACH 7.94 800 AM 1/10 CO-OP OBSERVER

JUPITER FARMS 6.29 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

9 WNW PALM BEACH GAR 6.15 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

NORTH PALM BEACH 5.86 800 AM 1/10 MESONET

$$

KONARIK

finally a prolonged cool off in sight for sofla

Yup!  Really looking forward to this one.  Unlike the last couple weak-sauce cold fronts, this one will actually come with a substantial drop in dewpoints and will stick around for a while.  Boundary layer temps on the warm side, but perhaps somewhere in the northern half of the state could squeeze out some sleet or even a few wet flakes Wed night / early Thu morning?  My bet would still be against anyone getting anything, but if someone does, it would most likely be somewhere around Ocala. (nothing accumulating obviously).  I believe the last real snow event in the state was Dec 27, 2010, which had slightly colder T850s. 

post-378-0-60558500-1389722903_thumb.gif

That said, check out T850 anomalies from the GEFS for 18Z Thurs - approaching 4 SD below normal!  Unless we can get the AO and NAO to go highly negative in Feb a la 2010, this might be the cold event of the year for us. 

post-378-0-98629300-1389722346_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So I know this thread doesn't get much activity, but I thought I would share this unusual occurrence with you guys. I had to actually scrape FROST off my windshield this morning in West Melbourne, FL! Thank goodness I had the ice scraper I keep in my car when I'm living up north! Didn't think I'd ever need to use it here!

post-207-0-66178800-1390497344_thumb.jpg

So I know this thread doesn't get much activity, but I thought I would share this unusual occurrence with you guys. I had to actually scrape FROST off my windshield this morning in West Melbourne, FL! Thank goodness I had the ice scraper I keep in my car when I'm living up north! Didn't think I'd ever need to use it here!

Cool! (literally)

Anybody been paying attention to the NAM/RAP. It slowly drys the moisture up that is currently over LA,MS,AL. But thermal profiles look supportive of frozen precip today Tallahassee west and east.

That is if the moisture maintains itself and doesn't dry completely by the time it arrives.

But may not be impossible for snow/sleet today for some FL residents.

You were all over it -- numerous reports of light snow and sleet from Pensacola east to Ft. Walton Beach. Nice call!

Anybody been paying attention to the NAM/RAP. It slowly drys the moisture up that is currently over LA,MS,AL. But thermal profiles look supportive of frozen precip today Tallahassee west and east.

That is if the moisture maintains itself and doesn't dry completely by the time it arrives.

But may not be impossible for snow/sleet today for some FL residents.

You were all over it -- numerous reports of light snow and sleet from Pensacola east to Ft. Walton Beach. Nice call!

Thanks. If you want to call this a surprise snow event of the year this may be it atm. Florida of all places.  :snowing:  :maphot:

If fact some people might not believe what they see later.

This disturbance is maintaining its self good. But I do find it interesting looking at the 700mb it maintains and expand as it near the Atlantic Ocean. Which would be supportive of light snow/flurries further east over AL,GA,  east FL. There is a steady flow from the n/nw so the cold will be there.

As strange as this sounds. It may snow later tonight around Lake City, N of Gainesville, Jacksonville, and even Waycross. :huh:

Thanks. If you want to call this a surprise snow event of the year this may be it atm. Florida of all places.  :snowing:  :maphot:

If fact some people might not believe what they see later.

This disturbance is maintaining its self good. But I do find it interesting looking at the 700mb it maintains and expand as it near the Atlantic Ocean. Which would be supportive of light snow/flurries further east over AL,GA,  east FL. There is a steady flow from the n/nw so the cold will be there.

As strange as this sounds. It may snow later tonight around Lake City, N of Gainesville, Jacksonville, and even Waycross. :huh:

That would indeed be something.

Not seeing anything much now; seems hung up west of P'cola for the most part - but maybe it will scoot east and not dissipate.

Are you looking at any particular radar?

Archived