• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid November Pretend Snowstorm

Wonderdog

I don't think anyone is dismissing any of the solutions out of hand.  The Euro seems to be on one extreme end of the envelope of possible solutions.  The 06Z GFS may be towards the other end but none are out of play yet.  My own feeling is that the euro is probably an outlier but it has had an amped solution for several runs now so you can't completely dismiss it.  Nothing really has changed since yesterday's CWG discussion. 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WxMan1...very helpful info on the Euro ensembles!  Thanks!

There's really no reason to put stock in the Euro solution right now.  It has little support, from it's own Ensembles or any other major model, and it's a hard to expect a slow/deep system with this fast progressive flow.  I think if we want snow, we should be hoping for some lift after the frontal passage aided by the vorticity rotating through.  It seems like the cold air is a lock, so I think hoping for moisture is the way to go.  

And once again we find ourselves in this position.  It will be interesting to see by the end of winter just how many times this will have been the case.

And once again we find ourselves in this position.  It will be interesting to see by the end of winter just how many times this will have been the case.

I think having a cold air column and struggling for moisture is not the scenario I'd expect with a possible snowfall in November.  I'd expect the reverse more often...ample moisture and a very marginal column.  Similar to our March events this year.  

Whoa are u from the future? What's the stock market do next week?

I think the support for amped up Euro solution is pretty low.  If the ensembles were more on board, I think this place would be rocking.  The GFS does tend to have it's hiccups between 84-148 hours with winter storms, but right now it's progressive solution tends to have more support from the Euro ens, GFS, and Canadian.

I'd be happy with some conversational flakes down here.

6z on left / 12z on right. Very minute differences. Still way too progressive but slightly better on both sides of the trough. Euro closes off a bowling ball in the same location at the base. I don't think we stand a chance at anything unless 5h closes off. Flow out in front is too progressive otherwise. 

6z on left / 12z on right. Very minute differences. Still way too progressive but slightly better on both sides of the trough. Euro closes off a bowling ball in the same location at the base. I don't think we stand a chance at anything unless 5h closes off. Flow out in front is too progressive otherwise. 

attachicon.gif6z12z.JPG

Those aren't the same height lines either.  The trough on the 12 z is a good bit deeper, sharper.  Still looks too little too late.

Was the Euro a good storm?  I haven't seen any maps for it.

Those aren't the same height lines either.  The trough on the 12 z is a good bit deeper, sharper.  Still looks too little too late.

Was the Euro a good storm?  I haven't seen any maps for it.

It's worlds apart;

The panel before it shows a much less progressive pattern on the front too allowing h5 to get all wrapped up. It's a possible solution but I wouldn't put any chips on it. 

It's worlds apart;

attachicon.gif0zeuro.JPG

The panel before it shows a much less progressive pattern on the front too allowing h5 to get all wrapped up. It's a possible solution but I wouldn't put any chips on it. 

Appears to be worlds apart in the northern plains as well.  That looks like it plays a role in what's happening in our neck of the woods.

Appears to be worlds apart in the northern plains as well.  That looks like it plays a role in what's happening in our neck of the woods.

It's more than just that though. There is a significant difference in handling the closed low in SE canada as it heads to the maritimes. The euro is further W and slower allowing heights to push further northward on the front of the trough. GFS has moved far away from that idea and seems pretty set on a progressive flow out in front giving little chance at anything happening until well out to sea. 

I'm not feeling this one. I want to believe but I probably won't buy in until my grass is covered. 

Doors closing on whatever chance this threat has left... GGEM/UKIE say no thanks... so 12z EURO will prob lose it and we can then wait till December for real snow chances

Just as well.  Still have plenty of leaves to mow, some other outdoor stuff that needs to be finalized.  Really wish it would stay warm until Thanksgiving.  Still have to wait a day or two on the snow part I guess, but it sure looks like the cold is a done deal.

Just as well.  Still have plenty of leaves to mow, some other outdoor stuff that needs to be finalized.  Really wish it would stay warm until Thanksgiving.  Still have to wait a day or two on the snow part I guess, but it sure looks like the cold is a done deal.

Yeah, before today I was considering the possibility of having to hang my outdoor Christmas lights this weekend in advance of a potential snow (if there is a chance to see my decorations in the snow, then I must take advantage).  I don't care what the Euro continues to show, I see the date on the calendar, the state of the indices, and have read enough skilled analysis on here to know this thing is dead.

OK - Now save this thread and have it on repeat this year? I HOPE NOT, but last 2 years this is the story!

Now you see it, now you don't!

Queue Charlie brown trying to kick a foot ball!

Charlie Brown football thing doesn't apply here at all-- that's for the day-of type misses that we're pretty good at. Having a storm disappear off a model 4-5 days out is nothing out of the ordinary nor distressing.

Archived