Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if the higher end estimates were too generous. I guess we'll see.  Need lots more drones stat.

It's difficult to judge based on the spot the video was taken.  We don't know their exact location, the exact time this video was actually taken, and keep in mind that the city has a lot of wind blocks and the city as a whole was protected by the initial landfall from the peninsula Guiuan is on.

That would put it around 146 mph sustained at landfall by their account.

They have been conservative throughout the day relative to the other estimates. Was really hoping that Josh would get directly in the eye to get at least a good pressure reading.

We have a hard enough time in our own basin matching up recon data to actual landfall obs....

A little generous?  Maybe.  Not as generous as PAGASA would like.

I mean a little generous could still be huge but we've seen cases in the Atlantic where sat and actual obs are not too close. Jeff Masters declaring it the strongest storm ever to make landfall seems awful premature... then again TWC owns him now I guess.

They have been conservative throughout the day relative to the other estimates. Was really hoping that Josh would get directly in the eye to get at least a good pressure reading.

We have a hard enough time in our own basin matching up recon data to actual landfall obs....

Do you know if PAGASA's sus wind values are 1-min, 2-min, 5-min, or 10-min?

I mean a little generous could still be huge but we've seen cases in the Atlantic where sat and actual obs are not too close. Jeff Masters declaring it the strongest storm ever to make landfall seems awful premature... then again TWC owns him now I guess.

Yeah but even just looking at radar ref presentation...it's clear that this was as perfect of a structure you'll ever get near/at landfall...probably a "textbook" wind profile in it...and with the symmetry of the CDO and the cloud top temps...almost def not a cat 4 at max (and likely not now yet).

Also too keep in mind...we may be forgetting this... that the NW side of the eyewall would not have had the intensity that the NE side of the eyewall will have.  In fact, I imagine that if Josh, etc. are clipping the eye as we speak...the next side of the eyewall will feature the strongest winds yet (especially since those winds are coming off the bay and didn't have the hindering influence of the Guiuan peninsula)

Yeah but even just looking at radar ref presentation...it's clear that this was as perfect of a structure you'll ever get near/at landfall...probably a "textbook" wind profile in it...and with the symmetry of the CDO and the cloud top temps...almost def not a cat 4 at max (and likely not now yet).

True. It's in elite company one way or another.

Archived