SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went 77/50/14/0

Competition went 77/51/14/0. Seeing as though I'll have at least a 3 point lead after today, if not more if the wind gets any higher, I'm through to the "sweet 16!" So of more importance to me for tomorrow, we're having our tourny at Ohio U and it's down to me and one other...we tied today (exact same forecast), and are exactly the same for tomorrow except for the low...he went 45 and I went 50. I certainly want to win the OU tourny so hopefully the low stays 48+!

Took another gamble on the low. Probably shouldn't have gone quite as low, seeing as btangy is 48.

76/44/13/0

It's almost like you have to guess what the other person will forecast and try to forecast differently if you're down a little bit, which makes it harder. We'll see what the low does...I wasn't sure if the winds would try to decouple at some point or if they'd stay up at 5-10 knots out of the SE all night.

Went 77/50/14/0

Competition went 77/51/14/0. Seeing as though I'll have at least a 3 point lead after today, if not more if the wind gets any higher, I'm through to the "sweet 16!" So of more importance to me for tomorrow, we're having our tourny at Ohio U and it's down to me and one other...we tied today (exact same forecast), and are exactly the same for tomorrow except for the low...he went 45 and I went 50. I certainly want to win the OU tourny so hopefully the low stays 48+!

Interesting there's a trophy for in-school tournament at OU. In North Carolina, universities with WxChallenge forecasters try to win Tobacco Cup for the best team score after 10 forecast cities. UNCA had the trophy the past few years, but NC State took it away from us this time around by few points (Cup usually come down to the last city with UNCA and NC State trying to win). It's always fun trying to beat other students from NC State and UNC Charlotte :)

Interesting there's a trophy for in-school tournament at OU. In North Carolina, universities with WxChallenge forecasters try to win Tobacco Cup for the best team score after 10 forecast cities. UNCA had the trophy the past few years, but NC State took it away from us this time around by few points (Cup usually come down to the last city with UNCA and NC State trying to win). It's always fun trying to beat other students from NC State and UNC Charlotte :)

We don't get a trohpy for our in-school tournament, but we do get our name engraved on a plaque in our meteorology lab which is pretty cool. The statewide competition between schools sounds interesting...unfortunately, I believe there's only two schools in Ohio in the tourny unless someone like Kent State is involved too.

It's too bad you couldn't make it through Mallow. I beat my round 1 competition by 5 points and my round 2 competition by 6 points...something tells me it may be a bit closer vs. btangy! I would've beat him round 1, but he would've edged me by 0.5 points this round. I'm hoping I can at least make it interesting against him, we'll see. Even if I get past btangy, my "elite 8" matchup may be against mpfinn who was a wild card, but has been on fire for the whole city, so it's still not an easy road...we'll see how I do.

We don't get a trohpy for our in-school tournament, but we do get our name engraved on a plaque in our meteorology lab which is pretty cool. The statewide competition between schools sounds interesting...unfortunately, I believe there's only two schools in Ohio in the tourny unless someone like Kent State is involved too.

It's too bad you couldn't make it through Mallow. I beat my round 1 competition by 5 points and my round 2 competition by 6 points...something tells me it may be a bit closer vs. btangy! I would've beat him round 1, but he would've edged me by 0.5 points this round. I'm hoping I can at least make it interesting against him, we'll see. Even if I get past btangy, my "elite 8" matchup may be against mpfinn who was a wild card, but has been on fire for the whole city, so it's still not an easy road...we'll see how I do.

Rooting for ya! :P

Good luck! Seem like you're the last one remaining in WU on here.

Btw, I got my trophy today... and it's beautiful :)

Thanks! One of our professors here has a couple of trophies, they are definitely pretty nice!

For tomorrow...went 72/49/16/0

btangy went 70/49/16/0

For the low/wind, btangy said it so it must be true :P ...for the high, I spent some time looking at model performance vs. reality today over the northern Plains/Midwest in the airmass that will be over SGF tomorrow. Last night's 0z NAM seemed to underdo mixing heights over the northern Plains/Midwest by a few hundred meters in a lot of cases, and I actually got a high of 74 using HYSPLIT with mixing to around 1300m at SGF (which the NAM and GFS both showed)...so I think there's some support for the warmer high. This will definitely be an interesting two day matchup!

70 thus far, so btangy would be up by 2 points on me. I'm hoping they squeeze out another degree between 21-23z, they've done it a few times over the last two weeks...would much rather be tied than down 2 heading into tomorrow.

Rooting for 71F, because it ties for you and it gives the only Penn Stater left in the competition a 1-pt lead. :P

So today did 71. Tied heading into tomorrow.

I went 75/48/23/0

btangy went 77/46/21/0

I'm not sure I like this :lol: ...I had trouble getting anything warmer than 75-76 for the high...and temperatures have really had trouble falling to guidance at night after the ridge axis shifts east here, so I went warm tonight. Winds could go either way.

So today did 71. Tied heading into tomorrow.

I went 75/48/23/0

btangy went 77/46/21/0

I'm not sure I like this :lol: ...I had trouble getting anything warmer than 75-76 for the high...and temperatures have really had trouble falling to guidance at night after the ridge axis shifts east here, so I went warm tonight. Winds could go either way.

I'm worried for you on the high. I'm thinking 76-77. I like your low, maybe 47-48. Wind, as you said, could go either way.

I'm worried for you on the high. I'm thinking 76-77. I like your low, maybe 47-48. Wind, as you said, could go either way.

I was gonna bump up to 76 but the clock hit 8:01 before I could. Low will be 46> so the high will need to work. If not final exams are next week and it was fun while it lasted.

Archived