• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

Take this with a grain of salt, but at least the CFSv2 and Euro seasonal models have ridging over the AK area this winter. CFS further east and euro further west near the Aleutians, but it beats seeing a vortex of death there. It may change, but I don't see any real scary yellow flags just yet.

I see some signals for cold this year...doesn't necessarily mean snowy, but weak ENSO and +PDO is often quite cold for us..as mentioned earlier, a good chance for some arctic outbreaks. I'm not convinced we see a +PDO yet, but that water is getting awfully warm in the GOA.

If the PDO goes negative and we get a +NAO, then we're probably in hell like '90-'91...but I'm confident that NAO era won't return just yet .

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see some signals for cold this year...doesn't necessarily mean snowy, but weak ENSO and +PDO is often quite cold for us..as mentioned earlier, a good chance for some arctic outbreaks. I'm not convinced we see a +PDO yet, but that water is getting awfully warm in the GOA.

If the PDO goes negative and we get a +NAO, then we're probably in hell like '90-'91...but I'm confident that NAO era won't return just yet .

Well lets hope the signs continue. After this past month, Fall can't some soon enough.

Sounds promising, though the boldface is certainly true.  However, I'd take another oxymoronic winter like 02-03, when Farmington ran -5.5 for a 10-week period from early Jan to mid-March.  Easily my coldest of 15 winters, but only 12th of 15 for snow, 20" below avg.  OTOH, it kept 1"+ snow for 146 days, tops for my place, 4 days more than mega-snow 07-08.  We were below avg for temps eight straight months, from Oct 02 thru May 03.

I'm as confident of a big winter as I've ever been. Brutal cold with snow. If I can avoid turning my oil burner on and use the ductless working for ac now, it's a huge $$ win and I think that's probable. I'll then dump the tank and the burner next summer.

I'm as confident of a big winter as I've ever been. Brutal cold with snow. If I can avoid turning my oil burner on and use the ductless working for ac now, it's a huge $$ win and I think that's probable. I'll then dump the tank and the burner next summer.

hows the ductless work, throw me a link

Steve it works like what you see in hotel rooms. Hot in winter, cold in summer. Air inverter. This is standard in Japan and increasingly in Europe.

Thanks for the link Jerry, you will be my Guinea pig this winter. Let me know how well it handles cold and if the rooms feel warm to the floor and also energy savings. I am interested, next year I will decide .

Pretty much a heat exchanger, I have a similar setup in my outdoor electronics cabinets for work. I wonder how much electricity it uses?

Jerrys link showed substantial savings versus gas ,oil,propane.

I'm told it uses less electricity vs gas, oil. Also, no burner to maintain.

Jerry--how're your squirrels doing?  Since Dave mentioned he has had few of them, I've noticed that we don't have a single one.  I've never paid them much heed since they really don't spend much time here, but it does seem to be a dearth of them.  No squirrels is akin to losing a weather satellite for forecasting the winter. :)

I've been getting a 2002-'03 vibe regarding this season......save for the Nino, but with regard to the Pacific and sensible weather impact. Obviously the Pacific would be watered down because that season was nuts, but I think that we see a lot of cold and above avg. snow.

Prob. won't be as good for the mid atl. as that season was, either, but should be s ome similarities across the boards.

I nailed last winter, so....lol

We are def. predisposed to a neg NAO in this regime, as well as an unfavorable Pacific; however that does not mean that we can't have interludes of the unfavored with respect to any one index.

The QBO also is very westerly right now. Hopefully that starts to switch during winter, but that's a wild card. We've had a -NAO before with a westerly QBO, but just noting what the QBO is doing right now.

Thanks for the link Jerry, you will be my Guinea pig this winter. Let me know how well it handles cold and if the rooms feel warm to the floor and also energy savings. I am interested, next year I will decide .

I don't know if it's the same thing but I lived in a condo for a few years with an electric forced hot air heat exchanger and I remember it had problems with really cold mornings.  The outside unit would ice up and put out steam or something.  I thought it was going to blow-up!  It's a little different than a mini-split but the heat exchanger is the same idea I think.

I don't know if it's the same thing but I lived in a condo for a few years with an electric forced hot air heat exchanger and I remember it had problems with really cold mornings. The outside unit would ice up and put out steam or something. I thought it was going to blow-up! It's a little different than a mini-split but the heat exchanger is the same idea I think.

My neighbor said if anything it's too hot and you have to set the thermostat lower. This unit guarantees 75 indoors with outdoor as cold as -13F.

I asked the guy...what about -30F. He said you'd still be able to maintain AOA 60 in the house. Considering it hasn't happened in modern history I'm confident my house will be warm.

I was looking at some data for winters past and ran across this 1933/34 Bos Dec ave temps of 26.9 Jan 29.5 and Feb 17.5 with 62 inches and that was with a basically snowless .8 Jan. what a winter!

There was virtually no snow in Jan 1934 in any of the SNE climo sites yet temps ave was 29 or so. Feb made up for the winter with region wide max/min averages 7-8 degrees colder than any month ever recorded. 4.45 inches of precip fell. Amazing winter. Can you  imagine coming off a cold Dec with 16 inches of snow to a completely dry cold Jan with less than an inch? Baffling then an absolute winter pounding with 30-40 inches of snow in Feb with wind and cold to the max

There was virtually no snow in Jan 1934 in any of the SNE climo sites yet temps ave was 29 or so. Feb made up for the winter with region wide max/min averages 7-8 degrees colder than any month ever recorded. 4.45 inches of precip fell. Amazing winter. Can you  imagine coming off a cold Dec with 16 inches of snow to a completely dry cold Jan with less than an inch? Baffling then an absolute winter pounding with 30-40 inches of snow in Feb with wind and cold to the max

Reminds me of 66-67 in NNJ (though we weren't nearly as cold as 2/34.)  I recorded just over 100" that season, but only 2" in January.  Dec, Feb, Mar each had a bit over 30".

Archived