Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2014 ENSO Mega Thread

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011 and 2012 both spiked to .8 and we barely even had +neutral. This is only slightly higher than that thus far. Yes it probably still will rise some more but we will need some WWB to sustain this.

I'd still go 30% +neutral, 30% weak, 20% mod, 20% strong. 

Except neither of those years had such a large and warm sub-surface pool of water.

CPC updated.  Not only has the large warm pool moves further East/surface bound it has grown in intensity and connected with the warmer pocket that is now reaching the surface over the far EPAC. 

It has also expanded in depth of the warmest anomalies.  That is quite a large pool of well above normal water temps. It is reflected in the OHC which is still sky rocketing.

wkteq_xz.gif

looks like it is about 1.275C+.  Do we have any historical data on what the warmest this has risen to?

vU3vOUW.gif?1?8471

nzucker - this is patently OT, but just wanted to point out - I damn near caught you on snow totals this winter, 44 inches to your 57 lmao. You almost got beaten by the tropical fall line in the mid atlantic, but late March in the mid atlantic with a lack of classic blocking and a more east track on the March 25th storm with an excruciatingly s-l-o-w phase saved your 8ss

OK, back to enso disco - I think we may see a low grade nino by late summer.

Blog entry from Paul Roundy - "Possible Major El Nino developing, and our wild winter"

http://blog.timesunion.com/weather/possible-major-el-nino-developing-and-our-wild-winter/2953/

"So, although I do not claim to be certain that a major El Niño event will develop this year, I think that the probability of a major event is substantially higher than that suggested by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center (their most recent forecast suggests a 50% chance of El Niño developing at all, while I suggest that the chances are probably closer to around 80% for a major El Niño). My motivation to assert higher confidence is that the wind patterns presently observed that favor strong El Niño growth are favored to continue to occur: these wind signals are not completely independent from the progress toward El Niño, so the present progress towards El Niño favors their continued occurrence.

Trouble is that in our lifetimes, we are not likely to ever experience a large enough number of major Kelvin wave events similar to the present event and that of March 1997 to be able to objectively assess through the historical record which of us is right, whether or not this potential event becomes major."

Here is an animation going back every three days from the DMI SSTA charts.

I put this together because it is the only "daily" site I could find.  They use 10-11 Satellites now for daily observations.  all OBS are only from nighttime scans.

The baseline is 1985-2001.

Anyways it really shows the major ENSO changes underway.  Nino may be upon us before the end of April a least in terms of weekly ONI.

bDaCda4.gif

Information about the figures

The web page shows the sea surface temperature (SST) and anomalies derived from infrared measurements from the polar orbiting satellites. One interpolated field is constructed daily. Only nighttime SST observations are used for the interpolation because these are more representative of the temperature in the upper meters of the water column. One image per day is shown for the last 30 days.

The SST anomalies have been calculated with respect to a mean, which has been derived from observations from 1985 to 2001. They are SST climatology monthly values from the Pathfinder project and temporal interpolation is used between the two nearest months to obtain this days SST climatology. For more information on the monthly climatology, see: www.nodc.noaa.gov/sog/pathfinder4km/

Interpolation method

Gaps in the observations due to clouds are filled using a 3-dimensional Optimal Interplation technique (see Høyer and She, 2007). The interpolation scheme uses statistics, which are derived locally and provides the "best possible" estimate of the SST observations, assuming steady state statistics. The mean error of the gridded SSTs is about 0.5-0.7oC.
Satellite observations

The observations of the sea surface temperature are based upon observations from up to 10 different satellites, measuring in Infrared and Microwave wavelengths. The observations are obtained from the Ocean and Sea Ice SAF project (www.osi-saf.org) and from Group on High Resolution Sea Surface Temperature (www.ghrsst.org).
The satellites products are listed below: 

Sensor Satellite Resolution (km) AATSR ENVISAT 1 AVHRR (OSI-SAF) NOAA 2 AVHRR (NAVO LAC) NOAA 1 AVHRR (NAVO GAC) NOAA 4 AVHRR METOP_A 1 Modis Aqua 1 Modis Terra 1 AMSR-E Aqua 25 TMI TRMM 25 SEVIRI MSG 5 GOES   5

*Cut*

The warmth in the ENSO regions continues to be impressive with the 30 day avg SOI at -12.00 and the MJO staying within El Nino Phases. However, I'm reluctant to push towards any strong El Nino event like some people are hyping. Atmospherically speaking, we haven't seen any huge responses towards a strong El Nino event. And climatology doesn't favour a strong El Nino. On average we see one every 8-10 years and the last time we saw one was back in 2009-10. The Sun is also key. We saw a huge spike in Sunspots/Solar Flux last month though its calmed down a bit of late. 

This is from the southern Ontario thread, I'm confused about the bolded part relating to climatology not favoring a strong El Nino because it looks great in my view. As I said before, I don't think the PDO will be a factor or as large this time in the overall peak strength. 2009-2010 wasn't a strong El Nino, just moderate so if you put climatology in the mix we are "due" for a super Nino but I don't like to go by that. We won't see any huge responses til the warmth reaches the surface which might be late next month or May if this wild trend continues.

This is from the southern Ontario thread, I'm confused about the bolded part relating to climatology not favoring a strong El Nino because it looks great in my view. As I said before, I don't think the PDO will be a factor or as large this time in the overall peak strength. 2009-2010 wasn't a strong El Nino, just moderate so if you put climatology in the mix we are "due" for a super Nino but I don't like to go by that. We won't see any huge responses til the warmth reaches the surface which might be late next month or May if this wild trend continues.

09-10 was a strong Nino, it maxed out at +1.6, which is over the +1.5 threshold needed for a strong Nino.

Archived