Preferable Winter

phlwx

If you could choose how you had winter  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How?

• Cold & snowy Dec & Jan, early & persistent Spring
    • Delayed winter (mild into January), late & delayed Spring
    • Pure climo, nothing more & nothing less

In the interest of gauging opinion given how this year and last year have been vastly different after mid January, how do you prefer your winters?

Do you prefer winters where the vast majority of cold and snow are in December and January, with March being relatively mild and snowless?

or...

Do you prefer a mild Christmas and a late winter that results in a delayed and slow to warm spring?

or...

Would you rather have climo and spend hours wishing for snow when you end up getting 33 and rain in January and 34 and light snow in March?

(you can't choose no snow or all snow in this case...sorry)

#2 was the best of the 3 listed. Snow is always a priority. After that I prefer a warm early winter to extend the fall fishing season and wet conditions particularly from late winter thru spring for fishing, grass, and garden. I don't like the current pattern which is non-snowy and on the dry side. If we can't have snow I'd love to see one or two good soaking rains this month. 

Option 1.  Late season snow is subject to a powerful sun angle.  This time of year with the increasing solar energy I just start thinking of spring anyway.  If we were in Canada/Siberia latitude or in Rockies/Alps class mountains I'd go with climo because they still have a good chance to add to snow pack, we don't. 

I always prefer a cold Christmas and January. There's just something about tracking a blizzard around Christmas time that makes it so awesome. Nothing like the Dec 19 2000 miracle I wlll never forget that 12z euro run 2 days before that brought it right up the coast and buried everyone then the 18z nam came in and gave phl 4"+ qpf. Just something about it being around Christmas and since January is our coldest month it's nice getting storms then instead of feb and march when we have to start worrying about the stupid sun angle.

I always prefer a cold Christmas and January. There's just something about tracking a blizzard around Christmas time that makes it so awesome. Nothing like the Dec 19 2000 miracle I wlll never forget that 12z euro run 2 days before that brought it right up the coast and buried everyone then the 18z nam came in and gave phl 4"+ qpf. Just something about it being around Christmas and since January is our coldest month it's nice getting storms then instead of feb and march when we have to start worrying about the stupid sun angle.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  Maybe it's because of the epic snows depicted in A Charlie Brown Christmas, but that's when I want my snow & cold.

My true choice wasn't on the list which would be a blend of the first and thrid choices. For me, I'd go with pure climo for Jan-Feb, and then a warm mild March and beyond. The one thing I truely hate is a backloaded winter, where spring is delayed. I'd rather get the cold and snow over with by mid February.

Archived