• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

HM & Ray, the last few runs of the NAM and 4km NAM continue to show an epic convective line of precip that forms around Southern DE around 1-4pm tomorrow...

18z NAM

post-8091-0-15080400-1362514843_thumb.gi

4km 12z

post-8091-0-66997400-1362514851_thumb.gi

1) Do you think its real?

2) If so, could this drastically improve snowfall chances for Southern NJ? 

Is this like a gravity wave?

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HM & Ray, the last few runs of the NAM and 4km NAM continue to show an epic convective line of precip that forms around Southern DE around 1-4pm tomorrow...

18z NAM

attachicon.gifnam.gif

4km 12z

attachicon.gifnam2.gif

1) Do you think its real?

2) If so, could this drastically improve snowfall chances for Southern NJ? 

Is this like a gravity wave?

I posted this in the banter thread by mistake. Here:

The placement, expansive-nature and amounts on the NAM from the banding feature (no it is not a gravity wave) are most likely wrong. The only thing you should take from it is the potential for a nasty band.

The band is simply convection in this case (yes you heard me, lol).

1. The occluded front produces deep layer convergence in this area.

2. Influx of moisture is still available

3. Cold air aloft with mid-upper level low / cold air overhead underneath a low-level warm anomaly/warm seclusion trying to form.

The combination will produce convective banding along this feature. A surprise or two is possible in the southern portions of our area with this but I'm not sure how far north it can get. The global models say, "not far."

The 18z GFS has pushed the front end snow a little further east. Clown map gets 2" into delco, 1" into W NJ.and a good portion of De

Overall its a little further north and doesn't dry out the CCB as much.  Its really gonna be interesting to see what happens with this one.  I'm holding my ground but the NAM and SREFs don't make me feel great about it, all the same.

Overall its a little further north and doesn't dry out the CCB as much.  Its really gonna be interesting to see what happens with this one.  I'm holding my ground but the NAM and SREFs don't make me feel great about it, all the same.

Tricky forecast here along M/D line with that initial band, Could be zip if band falls apart and precip is light or several inches  if the band holds together. 

I would love to hear a Mount Holly met's reasoning for not including Northampton, Carbon, Monroe in the WWA... not disagreeing in any way, but just curious.  Perhaps due to later start time there (my guess)?

I am guessing forecaster confidence on the actual amounts. But I think I see what you are getting at based on the forecast amounts right now.

I'm still unenthusiastic.  NBC10 going with 3-5" in the city, as is the WSW product from Mount Holly.

I'm thinking 1-2" on the grass, essentially nothing on roads.  Any trend north that has happened today has been exaggerated. The SREFs even shrunk back south.

When has backlash snow ever over-performed?  I sure hope I end up being wrong, of course.

I went through my archive and could not find a case where the 500 low tracked along the NC/VA border and then due east from there, and central NJ got into good CCB action.  Can someone else find one?

Edit:  Note the point is to find a 500 mb track that was so far away.  There was one or two that started down there but got closer.

I went through my archive and could not find a case where the 500 low tracked along the NC/VA border and then due east from there, and central NJ got into good CCB action.  Can someone else find one?

Edit:  Note the point is to find a 500 mb track that was so far away.  There was one or two that started down there but got closer.

I'm not sure you can go by the past. What i mean, the storm is so spread out almost like tropical in nature. Find me a storm that is 400 miles se of sne that dumps 1-3 inches of qpf on them from the storm?

I'm not sure you can go by the past. What i mean, the storm is so spread out almost like tropical in nature. Find me a storm that is 400 miles se of sne that dumps 1-3 inches of qpf on them from the storm?

The 500 low curves north towards them, missing this region.  They get closer than you do.

i only have access to the h5 mslp on the euro for 500mb maps but it shows the center of the ull well south of sne by 400 miles atleast. Unless i need the vorticity for that.

Eh, nah you're right, its not as close as I thought.  The closed contours at least get over SNE though, something that wont' happen in this region until that "second round" Thursday night.

I remember it being a rain-->snow event that over-performed because of intense banding, but not so much because of wrap-around.  I dunno though, I suppose the definition of wrap-around is vague.

Well, wraparound or CCB, they're kinda the same. 

With that conversation in mind when was the last time a tropical system made a hard left turn and hit NJ from the sea?

Archived