Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
West Coast Thread

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I reading the 18z GFS right.....snow to the valley floor in Sacramento at 72 hrs......certainly Mt. Diablo and Mt. Tam will get snow and the surrounding hills would get it to what 500' or so.....I'm a native from the East Bay and am jealous that I'll miss a snow chance at home.....lol if the Bay Area gets snow before West Hartford does.....:lol:

We were supposed to get around half an inch of snow on Thursday Night/Friday... but the low looks like it is coming in farther south.  Grrr...

...and the system early next week looks like it's going to be warm.  What a tease.  lol

I didn't know you were in the Portland area, now!

Granted I'm not that good at reading models but the 12z NAM looks like it brings snow right down to the valley floor in the northern Central Valley Fri night.....Chico, Sacramento, Stockton......Bay Area may be more iffy but theres plenty of elevated areas that would get it.....delayed timing into the overnight hours helps......cold surface temps already in place will help too....see how this plays out but certainly surrounding areas above 500' could get whacked.....2' up in the mountains.....

Granted I'm not that good at reading models but the 12z NAM looks like it brings snow right down to the valley floor in the northern Central Valley Fri night.....Chico, Sacramento, Stockton......Bay Area may be more iffy but theres plenty of elevated areas that would get it.....delayed timing into the overnight hours helps......cold surface temps already in place will help too....see how this plays out but certainly surrounding areas above 500' could get whacked.....2' up in the mountains.....

NAM is forecasting snow in Fresno...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4US_12z/snow60.gif

I didn't know you were in the Portland area, now!

Yes sir... I work in the Pearl and live out at Tanasbourne/Hillsboro side.  :D

Wow, Portland managed 19F this morning already, and it's not even the coldest morning to come.

15 out in HB.  NWS is saying we should hit at least 10 Saturday night out there (15 in downtown PDX).  I'm very tempted to drive to find snow this weekend, but I'm worried there wouldn't be appropriately cleared roads.

Yes sir... I work in the Pearl and live out at Tanasbourne/Hillsboro side.   :D

15 out in HB.  NWS is saying we should hit at least 10 Saturday night out there (15 in downtown PDX).  I'm very tempted to drive to find snow this weekend, but I'm worried there wouldn't be appropriately cleared roads.

There probably wouldn't be. :P

And you're not the Adam who I recently friended on FB, are you? :o

• 1 month later...

This must be one of the driest winters on record for the Portland/Oregon area ever.  I'm truly amazed at the lack of rainfall that has occurred this winter after the bombardment of "IT RAINS ALL THE TIME!" propaganda (I never bought into that anyways, but regardless of that, this is pretty bad).  I know this is certainly no El Niño winter with pineapple express events...but I would expect to see at least a few more storms hitting the coast...

This must be one of the driest winters on record for the Portland/Oregon area ever.  I'm truly amazed at the lack of rainfall that has occurred this winter after the bombardment of "IT RAINS ALL THE TIME!" propaganda (I never bought into that anyways, but regardless of that, this is pretty bad).  I know this is certainly no El Niño winter with pineapple express events...but I would expect to see at least a few more storms hitting the coast...

Its the second driest water year to date with 7.82" of precipitation.  Only 1976-77 beats it with 4.44" at this point, while third place goes to 1978-79 with 8.55" of precip through this date.

Its the second driest water year to date with 7.82" of precipitation.  Only 1976-77 beats it with 4.44" at this point, while third place goes to 1978-79 with 8.55" of precip through this date.

What are the odds of a turn around? If not then water restrictions and a record fire season will hurt all of the west. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived