SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dsnowx53 question for you.. This run isn't to much different than the last one qpf wise is it. Just shaved some off of eastern pa but if a band setup there it's back to the 0z no?

Well it shaved a decent amount off of E PA. The cutoff was pretty sharp to begin with, and it seemed pretty clear to me that the 00z NAM was too far west. The NAM seemed to shift to the other guidance where most of the banding stays east of E PA, though E PA still does okay. 

The heavy QPF was just as heavy, but it just shifted it east and expanded it northward. 

It would be unprecedented to have a driving rainstorm followed by Blizzard conditions.  The Lindsay Storm in 69 was forecast to be mostly a rain event, but after just a couple of hours of rain/mix it quickly went over to snow and amassed almost 20" IMBY in Brooklyn.  The XMAS 2002 storm was mostly light rain and drizzle during the day that went over to  a 5 hour wind driven onslaught of snow that accumulated around 8"...........But what is being depicted on the NAM would be historic...It will be fun to see how it all turns out.

I have seen only one model map from the 1978 Blizzard, but I would imagine it would look something like the NAM the last couple of days if it were around then.

The Blizzard of 78 had Arctic Air in place.  We had 12" on the front end and another 12" that Monday night as the storm stalled between Montauk and the Benchmark

Question, 

How much do SST's really effect a system like this at this time of the year? Been looking into current SST's and it is -quite- warm still all the way through the southern tip of VA. Been follow current obvs and we're closing in on a 1000mb low that hasn't climbed past NC in latitude yet. 6 hour forecast has this sub 995 and not even at the Delmarva yet. If the storm ends undergoing a small dose of rapid cyclogenisis wouldn't we see a track closer to the coast? 

Question, 

How much do SST's really effect a system like this at this time of the year? Been looking into current SST's and it is -quite- warm still all the way through the southern tip of VA. Been follow current obvs and we're closing in on a 1000mb low that hasn't climbed past NC in latitude yet. 6 hour forecast has this sub 995 and not even at the Delmarva yet. If the storm ends undergoing a small dose of rapid cyclogenisis wouldn't we see a track closer to the coast? 

Take a look at the radar, I think we might already be seeing it go under cyclogenesis, and it didn't even phase. I think you may be right, and right now a 00z NAM solution may turn out to be correct. Just look how strong it is already. The spin is starting to take shape and we're down to 1000mb about. When this thing phases...............KABOOM

Archived