Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a day 6 threat , so I am not gona smash my keyboard after that run , but If I see that Tues I will not be happy . Thats not an exciting run for me  , If you send a surface feature to PITT , you easily warm the BL . Then with a new  trailing Vortex on its heels , by the time the secondary  gets in motion , you can  push the energy east and away from the coast and not up .

If you dont bring the primary under the PV the outcome isnt favorable for the coast . but its 6  days out , so not worried  " yet " .

There's nothing wrong with what he posted. Cold air is meaningless if a low tracks up through Pittsburgh. Interior could stay snow or have an ice storm but the coast will easily turn to rain. Will it happen? who knows. Could it happen? Of course

The NYC forum covers more than just the coast. The low is never going to push a PV out of the way. It's moving out and needs blocking.

That first event will be very snowy initially even for the coast if it does happen, that sort of air mass is not going to be in a hurry to get kicked out and we'd have massive overrunning with that sort of high exiting.

I agree , I just didnt like the idea  of a secondary having to come to the rescue , I would tend to think you run  the surface feature from  the Ohio valley East and under .

This situations sometimes show up as ice storms in places because  that the low level cold air is so dense and doesnt get displaced easily  .

Looking at the GFS at 500mb that setup appears funny, I know the NOGAPS and one other model also hinted at this being a 2 part event but I have a feeling this may just be one storm...either a weak overrunning wave or a big monster redeveloper...I'm not so sure I believe the 2 part event.

I thought about that, but it seems like the first wave is moving to fast and sort of 'separates' from the moisture down South.  If they were to combine into one storm, that could be something else...

Interested in seeing the euro after seeing the foreign models cut it (The first wave atleast). CMC at this range is unreliable, as well as the nogaps, they can sometimes not even be in the same ballpark as to what will happen eventually. The UKMET looking bad worries me at this range though so let's see what the euro does

Archived