joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake Effect Snow Potential 1/30- 2/06

Jonger

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though the Lakes have been in a bit of a lake effect rut the last few years, when given the choice to live in a lake snow belt or the most prime spot for a monster noreaster in new england, Id take a lake zone every day. Just amazing looking at what cold over the lakes (with the right conditions) can do.

Looking like a disturbance passing just south of MI may once again fire up the lake machine for us in southern MI tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Though the Lakes have been in a bit of a lake effect rut the last few years, when given the choice to live in a lake snow belt or the most prime spot for a monster noreaster in new england, Id take a lake zone every day. Just amazing looking at what cold over the lakes (with the right conditions) can do.

Looking like a disturbance passing just south of MI may once again fire up the lake machine for us in southern MI tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Recent winters notwithstanding, you have a good chance (or at least much higher than we do) of seeing both "a monster Nor'Easter" and heavy lake effect snow living on the west side of the state or in the UP, since for one they're further away from the influence of the Apps. Mountains.

Recent winters notwithstanding, you have a good chance(or at least much higher than we do) of seeing both "a monster Nor'Easter" and heavy lake effect snow living on the west side of the state or in the UP, since for one they're further away from the influence of the Apps. Mountains.

Even more reason to pick the MI snowbelt!

Big fail in SE Ottawa County also. We were supposed to have 4" by now and we might have 2" if I slant stick it a little bit. Our 6 - 10" has been downgraded to 2 - 4" with the zone forecast saying 3 - 6". Maybe Blackrock cashed in, I don't know.
Based upon the radar all night, I am betting he will be on in full rage mode with maybe a dusting at best.
I was wondering why snow had fallen early today!

---

Wintry in Gaylord, MI. Looks like someone left the fountain on too long though!

current.jpg?1358796761

Looks pretty nice in Grand Rapids right now. Would think Blackrock got more then an inch.

[img=[url=http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/k/a/Kaytu/3/current.jpg?1358796853%5D%5B/quote%5D]http://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/k/a/Kaytu/3/current.jpg?1358796853][/quote[/url]

Hey Guys! As you can tell, I sort of took a break from the board for a couple days. Here is the scoop on this event. It has sort of been a so so event.

Sunday: nice, pretty fluffy flakes fell much of the day, but not heavy... 2 inches

Sunday night: disappointing :) 1.5 inches

Monday: disappointing... 1.5 inches (Grand Rapids and even Jackson had more snow)

Monday evening/night: great! Strong winds died down and allowed bands to set up closer to the lakeshore. White outs throughout the night... 4 to 5 inches

Snowing on and off today...

Cons: poor DGZ has caused small flake size, thus even though we have had many bursts of heavy snow..it has not piled up easily; lots of compaction-probably 6 inch snow depth out there.

Pros: it looks beautiful! The snow has clung to everything! The DGZ looks to become more favorable for better flake size tonight and tomorrow, so there is still more hope for fluffy flakes and good snow amounts. There is more snow to come over the next week. Perhaps we can be the center of action. :)

Oh, and this is about what it looks like here...the webcam is about five minutes away from me:

http://www.trafficland.com/city/GRR/camera/13088/

nice little ORD hole gives it credibility.

GFS also tries to back the LE band

Looks like winds turn NE above the surface on Thursday so the westward backing of LES toward Chicago seems possible.

FWIW, and it may not be much, but the 12z GGEM hints at a meso low at 48 hours.

EDIT: also does this at 96 hours.

Glad you did well blackrock. As I told Harry yesterday, for the first time all season I can say I am jealous of SW MI. We have snowcover (and in the full sun you won't find a drip anywhere...LOVE this cold lol)...but you can see all the grasstips.

Meanwhile attention now turns to tomorrow. 12z HiRes NAM looks sweet tomorrow afternoon/evening for the southern 3 counties in lower MI.

Glad you did well blackrock. As I told Harry yesterday, for the first time all season I can say I am jealous of SW MI. We have snowcover (and in the full sun you won't find a drip anywhere...LOVE this cold lol)...but you can see all the grasstips.

Meanwhile attention now turns to tomorrow. 12z HiRes NAM looks sweet tomorrow afternoon/evening for the southern 3 counties in lower MI.

Thanks, I am so happy to finally see the grass gone for the first time this winter! Crazy. What are you looking at for your area tomorrow? I could see us getting a couple inches from that system, especially if the lake is involved.

Thanks, I am so happy to finally see the grass gone for the first time this winter! Crazy. What are you looking at for your area tomorrow? I could see us getting a couple inches from that system, especially if the lake is involved.

Sounds like you have a little more than me, but we have both done well this time around.  Like you said earlier the flake size is miniscule or else the total snow accumulation would have been much higher.  Maybe the better flake size later in the day can help both of us.

Thats crazy about the grass. Didn't see any grass tips here from Dec 26th until Jan 9th.

It appears that once that little disturbance passes to our south, a west to east band of (lake?) snow looks to develop sometime from mid-afternoon through late evening stretching across the state. Its basically shown on all models, which is a good sign as the models arent the best with lake snow (other than the hi-res, which as said, to my knowledge the only hi-res model that has this in its timeframe so far, the NAM, looks good).

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a quick 1-3" in parts of LaPorte/Porter/Lake with that lake effect band as it swings west on Thursday morning, perhaps part of the IL shore region as well. Swings being the key word as it looks pretty transitory so snow shouldn't last very long in any one spot. Inversion heights aren't great but 850 mb temps are pretty cold so delta T looks good.

Thats crazy about the grass. Didn't see any grass tips here from Dec 26th until Jan 9th.

It appears that once that little disturbance passes to our south, a west to east band of (lake?) snow looks to develop sometime from mid-afternoon through late evening stretching across the state. Its basically shown on all models, which is a good sign as the models arent the best with lake snow (other than the hi-res, which as said, to my knowledge the only hi-res model that has this in its timeframe so far, the NAM, looks good).

Yeah...explains why I was so miserable. :P

With several more inches tonight and tomorrow...and the 3 to 4 inches Friday into Saturday...and a couple more on Monday before the "mini thaw" I think we will be able to maintain snowcover for a while. As long as we get more moisture-filled snow to pile up on and protect this lake effect snow.

Flake size is getting bigger this afternoon.

Band looks like it's re-intensifying over west Toronto. Even getting snow now in eastern Mississauga.

What's your best guess for % of season snowfall that is LES for downtown Toronto? Just curious.

Also, if I recall correctly, didn't like 50% of your snowfall in Dec 2010 come via LES?

Good to hear you did pretty good with LES. I can adjust my 3" snowfall map sometime soon. I take it most of MI is now out of that category.

The RGEM shows the Huron-Ontario connection nicely.

I_nw_r1_EST_2013012212_003.png

Archived