• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Predict/Guess the number of tornadoes and the first High Risk of 2013.

andyhb

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

SPC numbers for June are out. 121 tornadoes for the month... 603 tornadoes thru the end of June.

In other words, an average year is going to seem like 2008 or 2011 after these last two years...

Although comparing to other low activity periods, there have been more high impact events between last year and this year than say, 1986-88.

In other words, an average year is going to seem like 2008 or 2011 after these last two years...

Although comparing to other low activity periods, there have been more high impact events between last year and this year than say, 1986-88.

Yeah, we're only 1-2 violent tornadoes short of the 1980-2012 average number of violent tornadoes (7.6 per year).

Yeah, we're only 1-2 violent tornadoes short of the 1980-2012 average number of violent tornadoes (7.6 per year).

Yep, multiple high-profile events this year... Hattiesburg, Granbury, Rozel, Shawnee, Moore, Wayne. And Bennington and El Reno almost made the list if it weren't for the last-minute change in NWS rating policy.

I also can't help thinking the April 11 Noxubee County, MS long-track wedge ought to have been on that list if there had been any substantial structures in its path near peak intensity. Same thing for the violent-looking Carney, OK wedge on May 19.

I also can't help thinking the April 11 Noxubee County, MS long-track wedge ought to have been on that list if there had been any substantial structures in its path near peak intensity. Same thing for the violent-looking Carney, OK wedge on May 19.

Agreed for both, particularly the latter.

I'm not sure about nationwide, but for the Plains, this year had easily the largest number of visible daytime wedges (from different days, anyway) in as long as I can remember. Carney/Shawnee, Moore, Smith Center, Bennington, El Reno, Wayne/Moville... just off the top of my head. Just another indication that despite the pitiful yearly tornado count, this year was quite efficient with what it did produce.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If some of the high res models are on the right track, potentially >50.

Well, preliminary unfiltered count is approaching 80 right now.  Obviously some duplicate reports but then there will likely be things that were initially reported as wind damage that end up being confirmed as tornadoes so >50 may not be a bad guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived