Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2013-2014 Winter Outlook Thread

WilkesboroDude

I saw this posted on the new Euro Monthlies:

December: A healthy Alaskan Vortex/+EPO..zonal flow over the US, despite a -NAO.

January: A huge ridge over the west, strong -EPO type pattern with ridging from the NW US into Alaska... a significant -AO.

February: Ridge apparently retrogrades offshore, just as strong as in January. Strong -EPO/-AO/-NAO. Entire US would be cold.

Check please.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially thats the same pattern we've been in all summer. Ridge out west troughiness in the east. I'd have to agree with this...

December: A healthy Alaskan Vortex/+EPO..zonal flow over the US, despite a -NAO.
January: A huge ridge over the west, strong -EPO type pattern with ridging from the NW US into Alaska... a significant -AO.
February: Ridge apparently retrogrades offshore, just as strong as in January. Strong -EPO/-AO/-NAO. Entire US would be cold.

Yep, those little guys are really getting fat here too. Maybe it's a sign of a bad winter or maybe it's just the abundance of things to eat with the increase in rainfall this summer. Time will tell. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to a good winter. According to some SST's graphs I have seen recently, Enso is showing some signs of warming. Could we possibly sneak in a weak El-Nino this season?

Maybe the squirrels are just lazy welfare queens and are telling us nothing.

I'm waiting for juncos and pine siskins to appear at the bird feeder.  These guys are usually a pretty good sign of cold weather on the way here.  As for the squirrels, I think they eat more so they can watch people get excited about the possibility of a cold winter.  Squirrels can be very cruel.

I'm waiting for juncos and pine siskins to appear at the bird feeder.  These guys are usually a pretty good sign of cold weather on the way here.  As for the squirrels, I think they eat more so they can watch people get excited about the possibility of a cold winter.  Squirrels can be very cruel.

Lol, this is a good day for humor.  Good one!

Those mean, mean squirrels.  T

For KATL since 1980: Summers (JJA) averaging under 78 F were 1982, 84, 85, 92, 97, 01, 03, and 04. 2013 averaged 77.5

Following 8 winters (DJF for temp.'s/precip.; DJFM for S/IP):

1.  Temp.'s: 6 near normal; 2 above normal

2.  Precip.: 1 above normal, 4 near normal, 3 below normal

3.  S/IP: 4 above normal (3 of 4 with a major snowfall: 3/83, 3/93, 1/02), 1 near normal, 3 below normal; total 25.5" or 3.2"/winter vs. average of only ~2"/winter; 5 of the 8 above the median

4.  Major ZR: only 1 of the 8 winters (1/04) vs. ~1 of 5 that have had at least one major ZR

So, 4 of the 8 or 50% of the winters had a major wintry precip. event (not bad for KATL since only ~40% of them have at least one major).

Ok, time for more ice cream lol.

December: A healthy Alaskan Vortex/+EPO..zonal flow over the US, despite a -NAO.January: A huge ridge over the west, strong -EPO type pattern with ridging from the NW US into Alaska... a significant -AO.February: Ridge apparently retrogrades offshore, just as strong as in January. Strong -EPO/-AO/-NAO. Entire US would be cold.

Brett Anderson's interpretation doesn't really match

• 2 weeks later...

The Climate Prediction Center updated their long range forecast today and they have backed off of the warmer than normal signal for the northern planes to the NE. There is now a large area of equal chances for the eastern US. Bad news, the maps still show a higher chance of below normal precip for much of the SE.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions//multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php

Brick mentioned this in the September thread, but Robert has an early look at winter out on his website:  www.wxsouth.com.

It's in his Public section.  As long as you have registered (for free), you can view this post.  It's an early look at winter, but Robert likes the patterns he's seeing.  He says many parameters are much different than the last two winters.  Check it out.  His official winter forecast will be out in later October.

Im really interested in his opinion. So ya making me sign up then?! lol jk. I probably know one of the factors though. Something that has been a thorn in the side more than the last two winters.... a very eager pac jet.

Brick mentioned this in the September thread, but Robert has an early look at winter out on his web site:  www.wxsouth.com.

It's in his Public section.  As long as you have registered (for free), you can view this post.  It's an early look at winter, but Robert likes the patterns he's seeing.  He says many parameters are much different than the last two winters.  Check it out.  His official winter forecast will be out in later October.

Im really interested in his opinion. So ya making me sign up then?! lol jk. I probably know one of the factors though. Something that has been a thorn in the side more than the last two winters.... a very eager pac jet.

Signing up doesn't cost anything.  There are different degrees of membership on his site.  If you want to see all his posts, you have to pay a monthly fee, but Robert occasionally posts things in the public folder, and all that is required is a free membership to read those posts.

Signing up doesn't cost anything.  There are different degrees of membership on his site.  If you want to see all his posts, you have to pay a monthly fee, but Robert occasionally posts things in the public folder, and all that is required is a free membership to read those posts.

just wondering why he needs my email spam?

just wondering why he needs my email spam?

A higher registered user count makes you more attractive to advertisers (anonymous hits are meaningless, getting someone to register shows engagement, etc). If you're worried about it, you can make a disposable email account and never check it.

Brick mentioned this in the September thread, but Robert has an early look at winter out on his website:  www.wxsouth.com.

:weenie:

:weenie:

Yeah, I like how it sounds, but the last two winters were supposed to look good leading up to them, and central NC didn't really see anything. Always seems to be something that pops up to change things. But I guess if we get any measurable snow at all it would be better.

Yeah, I like how it sounds, but the last two winters were supposed to look good leading up to them, and central NC didn't really see anything. Always seems to be something that pops up to change things. But I guess if we get any measurable snow at all it would be better.

Last winter was not horrible. Definitely not good but there have been worse.

Our area received around 4-5" of snow:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20130117.gif

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.freezing.20130127.gif

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20130216/accum.20130216.gif

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20130222.gif

Well here in Asheville NC the last two winters were a no show.  Lived here 61 years and the last two winters must be the worst I have ever seen. :axe:  I mean for the lack of cold and snow.  I'll have to say the two winters before the last two were really good.  :snowing:

meh  There are 8 types of herpes.  They pretty much all suck.

Don't forget the biggest snow of the season last winter that occured on 28OCT12 - 31OCT12!

BagkLSt.png

Our wonderful state is so large with so many varying climate zones that things are always location dependent as usual.

Hoping for a great winter this year. As long as the ground stays mostly white in areas above 5000' from early December through late February I am usually satisfied. (I know greedy ain't I?)

You're kidding right? In Carrboro it was worse than 2011-2012. The only upside for me was catching thundersnow near GSO (It didn't really stick in Carrboro and actually ended as rain).

The only things I'm hanging on to are:

• Cooler than normal summer
  • Wetter than normal summer
  • Neutral ENSO (so no bad signals, per se)
  • Much more ice coverage over the summer than previous years
  • Early start to NHem snow cover that requires going back a decade or more to find a similar year
  • Warm waters near the Gulf of Alaska, a signal that's been lacking for quite some time
  • Continued below normal temperature pattern, with no sign of change

I think all this says is that we won't have a blowtorch winter. Whether that translates to anything more than a few borderline events and only moderate cold at the worst remains to be seen.

You're kidding right? In Carrboro it was worse than 2011-2012. The only upside for me was catching thundersnow near GSO (It didn't really stick in Carrboro and actually ended as rain).

Basically I got lucky and fell within the right bands for both events. I think Wake Forest up to into Franklin County did ok as well. And again it was not a good year but some got more lucky than others.

Archived