SnowHabit
The 2013-2014 Winter Outlook Thread

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And once again much below average stops in a neat line right at the Ga. border.  I think these map makers need to take some art courses.  They'd learn real quick nature doesn't work in straight lines either with borders or freakin' Inter State Hwys.  The freakin' battle zone, and MetalMan's bellow zone don't have no stinkin' straight lines, but the below average screams to a halt all across the border, lol. Dang simpletons .  Can't even make a map that will never happen, that I could believe in :)  T

Not great news from this long range model but I put little value in these. That said it is a model and worth posting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/very-warm-and-humid-start-to-the-week-in-the-east/15176236

I'd weight this higher than any cold/snowy-showing model, just based on persistence. When the Pacific shows its hand, we'll know the likely outcome.

I'd weight this higher than any cold/snowy-showing model, just based on persistence. When the Pacific shows its hand, we'll know the likely outcome.

Apparently @ Weather Advance on twitter says there is a correlation with the AAO. So now we have a new factor along with the GWO, October, Siberia, and all that other stuff listed in that thread we had back in winter.

Just to clarify, this isn't an accuweather forecast. It is a computer model so there is no bias. If I misread your post I apologize.

The forecast seems to be based on La-Nina conditions. I realize it is computer generated. A southeast ridge and a cool Pacific northwest is typical La-Nina. Hope that clarifies my statement.

• 3 weeks later...

From Aug 6th update of the MEI (Multivariate ENSO Index)...

"The updated (June-July) MEI has drifted further down to -.47, for the first time dropping into weak La Niña rankings since January-February 2012, at present 17th lowest out of 64 cases. Of the 10 nearest ranked June-July cases since 1950, fully seven recovered (or remained in) ENSO-neutral status by the end of the calendar year, while the other three ended up classified as La Niña by that time. While the current MEI ranking is lower than last month's, the odds for La Niña are comparatively lower. Furthermore, recent circulation anomalies are clearly not as indicative of La Niña conditions as one would expect from almost -0.5 sigma for the MEI.

We have now reached the time of year when drastic transitions are much less common than during boreal spring, and the MEI has indeed dropped back into weak La Niña territory. Thus, either continued weak La Niña or ENSO-neutral conditions are much more likely for the remainder of 2013 than a return of El Niño."

Hey, Michelle!  Can a banished person even have a thread?  Why not  give it to Griteater, if he wants it.  Not taking your Ritalin shouldn't qualify you for  a big thread with winter coming on.  T

For some reason I can't find what I'm looking for from my phone to change it :(     If someone would like to start a thread I'll lock this one away :)

I picked out 7 summers that matched this summers precipitaion patterns and anomalies the best.  Most of these summers had one thing in common right off the bat! They were mostly neutral to positive NAO summers like this one. Im starting to believe more and more in the theory that a pos NAO during summer means cooler and wetter conditions here. Anyways.. here are the years where the summer precip patterns best match the current one.

1967 1971 1989 1992 1994 2003 2004

Here are those years averaged out into one for summer precip anomalies and you can see that a clear pattern emerges

91jn1x.jpg

Here are the following winter temp anomalies averaged out into one from the same years. A clear pattern also emerges and its not a good one for winter weather lovers especially with the expected +phase of the QBO which also statistically favors a neutral to positive winter AO/NAO phase. Likewise.. a positive QBO typically favors a +NAO/AO. The majority of these analogs also feature a +QBO. Just some data for you..dont shoot the messenger  :yikes:

28btn5f.jpg

I picked out 7 summers that matched this summers precipitaion patterns and anomalies the best.  Most of these summers had one thing in common right off the bat! They were mostly neutral to positive NAO summers like this one. Im starting to believe more and more in the theory that a pos NAO during summer means cooler and wetter conditions here. Anyways.. here are the years where the summer precip patterns best match the current one.

1967 1971 1989 1992 1994 2003 2004

Here are those years averaged out into one for summer precip anomalies and you can see that a clear pattern emerges

91jn1x.jpg

Here are the following winter temp anomalies averaged out into one from the same years. A clear pattern also emerges and its not a good one for winter weather lovers especially with the expected +phase of the QBO which also statistically favors a neutral to positive winter AO/NAO phase. Likewise.. a positive QBO typically favors a +NAO/AO. The majority of these analogs also feature a +QBO. Just some data for you..dont shoot the messenger  :yikes:

28btn5f.jpg

From everything I've read, your dead on. All we can hope for is something not easily forecasted like the NAO. I agree with the higher chances of a positive NAO but this has been the wild card (for good or bad) in most of our past winters.

Archived