SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This looks a bit more wintery this morning... granted its for 3,000ft but nice not to see back-to-back rain icons.

Yeah, even our valley point and click has frozen in every precipitation panel through Tuesday, and snow somewhere in most of them, so that’s much more encouraging than panels of rain. For the mountains it would certainly be nice to set down some frozen liquid equivalent into the snow pack, even if it’s rather dense and cruddy in texture, before the snows kick in. There’s a decent amount of QPF anticipated, so that could be a nice base.

AWUS81 KGYX 072008

RWSGYX

WEATHER SUMMARY FOR MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY MAINE

0307 PM EST FRI DEC 7 2012

A WEAK WARM FRONT IS APPROACHING THE AREA FROM THE SOUTH. THERE

WILL BE SOME VERY LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS OR MIXED PRECIPITATION

OVERSPREADING THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE FORECAST AREA THIS EVENING.

A COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH FROM THE GREAT LAKES EARLY TOMORROW

MORNING, AND THEN CROSS THE AREA ON TOMORROW EVENING. THIS WILL

GIVE US ANOTHER SLIGHT CHANCE FOR SOME LIGHT RAIN...AND MAYBE

TURNING OVER TO FREEZING RAIN FOR SOME AREAS TOMORROW NIGHT.

THE NEXT SYSTEM WILL APPROACH THE AREA FROM SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY

BRINGING A MIX OF SNOW, SLEET, AND RAIN THROUGH THE START OF NEXT

WEEK. MOST OF THE AREA SHOULD SEE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW OVERNIGHT

ON SUNDAY BEFORE TURNING OVER TO RAIN ON MONDAY MORNING.

Sunday's event looks like it'll have a better chance up this way to get some frozen precip before the change to rain... although it looks really good for the ME foothills/mtns. They may be able to add up several inches of snow prior to any change over.

BTV mentioning an advisory level event with possible 1" snow then freezing rain before all rain Monday morning. I'd imagine after Sunday afternoon's packages, both BTV and GYX will have advisories out from the Green Mtn Spine east through NH/ME.

SUNDAY WILL BE MAINLY DRY WITH ONLY INCREASING HIGH CLOUDS AS LOW

PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES TOWARDS THE REGION. PRECIPITATION WILL BREAK

OUT SUNDAY EVENING AND SUNDAY NIGHT AS STRONG WARM AIR ADVECTION

AFFECTS THE AREA. EXPECTING PRECIP TO START AS SNOW...AND

TRANSITION OVER TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN ON

MONDAY. MAY SEE A QUICK INCH OF SNOW BEFORE THE CHANGEOVER TO

FREEZING RAIN WITH THE GREATEST THREAT OF ANY ICE ACCUMULATIONS

EAST OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT. WILL LIKELY BE AN

ADVISORY-LEVEL EVENT FOR THESE LOCATIONS.

Haven't looked too closely at Maine, but any chance for warning criteria mixed precip in GYX's furthest north zones? I'd imagine its one of those deals where both snow and ice falls short of warning criteria but could get a decent shot of QPF as frozen/freezing.

Sunday's event looks like it'll have a better chance up this way to get some frozen precip before the change to rain... although it looks really good for the ME foothills/mtns. They may be able to add up several inches of snow prior to any change over.

BTV mentioning an advisory level event with possible 1" snow then freezing rain before all rain Monday morning. I'd imagine after Sunday afternoon's packages, both BTV and GYX will have advisories out from the Green Mtn Spine east through NH/ME.

SUNDAY WILL BE MAINLY DRY WITH ONLY INCREASING HIGH CLOUDS AS LOW

PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES TOWARDS THE REGION. PRECIPITATION WILL BREAK

OUT SUNDAY EVENING AND SUNDAY NIGHT AS STRONG WARM AIR ADVECTION

AFFECTS THE AREA. EXPECTING PRECIP TO START AS SNOW...AND

TRANSITION OVER TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN ON

MONDAY. MAY SEE A QUICK INCH OF SNOW BEFORE THE CHANGEOVER TO

FREEZING RAIN WITH THE GREATEST THREAT OF ANY ICE ACCUMULATIONS

EAST OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT. WILL LIKELY BE AN

ADVISORY-LEVEL EVENT FOR THESE LOCATIONS.

Haven't looked too closely at ME, but any chance for warning criteria mixed precip in GYX's furthest north zones? I'd imagine its one of those deals where both snow and ice falls short of warning criteria but could get a decent shot of QPF as frozen/freezing.

We are going to get ourselves some on the front end it seems right now before we flip

Was just talking to my gf and she said it was all rain at exit 17. Looks like a mix at the Canterbury RWIS, but from here-northward it's all snow.

Looks like the best estimate for the line via model guidance (even METAR objective analysis) is the wet bulb temp of 33. Matches pretty well with obs coming in.

Yeah just south of Tilton is the mix line. It's a mix now at exit 19 after 100% snow, starting to change at the hill going into Tilton (exit 20).

Looks like the best estimate for the line via model guidance (even METAR objective analysis) is the wet bulb temp of 33. Matches pretty well with obs coming in.

My gf just got home....she was a little shaken up after losing control briefly on the highway. She said the snow/slippery roads line was somewhere between exit 18 and 19. I'll go out and measure in a bit, but it can't be much more than 1/4".

Archived