Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

It was snowing on and off in Burlington with no accumulation when I left around 5:30 P.M., and although it was difficult to see in the dark outside the bus, on I-89 through the mountains I could tell that the driver was taking his time and I was able to make out that the road was white. At the Waterbury Park and Ride I found ~¼” of snow on my car, and then at the house I found 0.5” on the snowboard comprised of 0.02” liquid. There was a touch of refrozen material on the board, and 0.03” worth of material in the rain gauge, so there was presumably a touch of non-frozen precipitation or snow that melted on contact at the start of this event. The very light snow continues with another tenth or two on the board as of 8:00 P.M., and there’s similar stuff upstream based on the radar, so there may be a bit more to report in the morning.

05DEC12A.gif

It is nice to have everything white again. We’re actually right at the average date of the start to the winter snowpack here based my data, but I’m not sure this snow will hold unless the forecast cools a bit.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

When you ski you don't press up and down, you need endurance strength doofus.

you should absolutely do leg press type exercise if you want to recover muscle mass in your legs (quads esp) thou with high and wider stance u will hit some hammys. If you wanna have skinny long distance runner legs :), do wall sits,yes they will build endurance , but btw increasing leg press strength will carry over to wall sits (static hold)to a considerable degree. You should do some of the wall sits on a slightly unstable surface like the bottom of bosu ball.also lunges would be a solid idea.(Again if ud like to recover lost muscle mass in glutes, thighs, hammys)..and again this will carry over considerably to wall sit strength/endurance, esp bc the leg press and lunges will also activate the slow twitch muscle fibres that are primarily used in wall sits and skiing. Esp if you work in a medium-high rep range (15-20) assuming ur working to near failure on sets

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

There was a touch of refrozen material on the board, and 0.03” worth of material in the rain gauge, so there was presumably a touch of non-frozen precipitation or snow that melted on contact at the start of this event.

I doubt you had any non-frozen precip... it was probably like I saw here that first round of snow/graupel that was melting on contact and then promptly refroze a little while later creating that lovely minor slick base layer. The parking lots around here are pretty slick, lol.

And it looks like you may get to 1"... you're area has been seeing much better snow shower activity this evening while its been mostly flurries here. I was just down in the village center (rt 100 with rt 108 intersection) at the ATM, and I'm not even sure if the CoCoRAHS guy "Stowe 0.2SW" will even be able to measure in the morning. I'm 2 miles up Mountain Road and its only 0.1-0.2" but even a mile or two further towards RT 100 there's even less.

There's actually a band developing now south of I-89 in the Starksboro area that looks like a combination of upslope and even some lake enhancement off Lake Champlain. That happens sometimes and MRG/Sugarbush area often benefits from it. The flow right now is just about perfect for it and with high delta-Ts as this -10C H85 air moves over the lake, they might get a little surprise of a few fluffy inches overnight.

you should absolutely do leg press type exercise if you want to recover muscle mass in your legs (quads esp) thou with high and wider stance u will hit some hammys. If you wanna have skinny long distance runner legs :), do wall sits,yes they will build endurance , but btw increasing leg press strength will carry over to wall sits (static hold)to a considerable degree. You should do some of the wall sits on a slightly unstable surface like the bottom of bosu ball.also lunges would be a solid idea.(Again if ud like to recover lost muscle mass in glutes, thighs, hammys)..and again this will carry over considerably to wall sit strength/endurance, esp bc the leg press and lunges will also activate the slow twitch muscle fibres that are primarily used in wall sits and skiing. Esp if you work in a medium-high rep range (15-20) assuming ur working to near failure on sets

Thank you sir! Haha got to it before I could.

I was thinking leg press for that reason essentially and then some agility for having your legs get used to quickly sharp turns haha.

And maybe some running too haha

Pickles, I was squatting over 400 lbs and pressing ~700 before I had surgery at ~180lbs. I know how to strengthen my legs.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.03” L.E.

A couple of additional tenths of an inch is as much as I saw for snow accumulation beyond last night’s 6:00 P.M. observations; the snow was so light that it was difficult for it to collect on some surfaces as PF indicated yesterday evening, and that was the case even in our location with just a little wind. I didn’t see much for accumulations reported at the local ski resorts, but presumably snowmaking can be fired up with the current temperatures. The next chances for snow appear to be tomorrow night into Saturday, and then again on Monday, but neither of those is very clean in terms of snow vs. mixed precipitation.

With this event complete, I did a quick assessment on where things stand around here at this point in the snow season. We’re on the early side, so variability will of course be high, but the 8.0” of snow we’ve had at the house thus far is well within one S.D. of the mean (16.0 ± 12.8”). One could say snowfall is at half the average level, or 8 inches behind; probably the latter is more appropriate at this early stage. The average snowpack on Mt. Mansfield for this date looks like it’s ~16”, so the 5” there is again below average, but only one good storm away from catching up since the numbers are relatively small. We’ve had 1.11” of liquid equivalent at the house through just the first six days of the month, so availability of precipitation doesn’t appear to be an issue. That’s typically the biggest concern I have around here, so as long as the moisture keeps coming (and it seems like precipitation is in the pipeline), the mountains will start building snowpack. Actually, even with these upcoming mixed events, anything frozen can beef up the liquid equivalent in terms of snowpack, it’s just that sleet and freezing rain (or even liquid rain that gets into the snow) makes for poor ski surfaces.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 25.4 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Concern this weekend is for light icing on the mountain....chairlifts don't like ice although they are just about a darn near perfect surface for it to accumulate: elevated metal surfaces.

Luckily QPF looks to remain less than 0.15"... hopefully less than a tenth and its mixed with snow and sleet.

Concern this weekend is for light icing on the mountain....chairlifts don't like ice although they are just about a darn near perfect surface for it to accumulate: elevated metal surfaces.

Luckily QPF looks to remain less than 0.15"... hopefully less than a tenth and its mixed with snow and sleet.

Honestly, there may be a period of IP/ZR/SN Saturday morning, but by 18z Saturday, 850 and surface are well above freezing...probably like a 35F DZ type day. Meh.

My P&C has a lot of wintery weather in it, The trend has been colder the last couple days.....AWT......... :snowing:

• Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 16. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Friday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
  • Friday Night A slight chance of rain and sleet before midnight, then a chance of sleet between midnight and 1am, then a chance of freezing rain after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Saturday Rain likely, mainly between 8am and 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 41. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Saturday Night A chance of rain, possibly mixing with snow after 10pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 7 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
  • Sunday Night Snow likely before 5am, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Monday Rain and snow. High near 45. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Monday Night Rain. Low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Tuesday Rain and snow. High near 34. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Tuesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Wednesday A chance of snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

My snowstake (err aluminum pole) is depressed to be back to <1".... picked up 0.5" of snow last night to at least whiten the ground again, but we had a good run there at the end of November with over 10 days of 1" or greater depth here at 1,550ft. It maxed out at 11.5" after that arctic front/upslope event last Friday, then slowly melted away this week. I saw the Jay Peak co-op at 1,800ft (I think that's the elevation) maxed at a 12" depth on the morning I had 11.5", so we were pretty similar for the lower elevations of Jay/Mansfield.

The snow measuring plot... elevated flat basin at the base of Mansfield right adjacent to the RT 108 closure gate. You can see the mountain on the left side of the photo to give an idea of proximity. There's also a bog/swamp right about 100 feet ahead where you can see the dead grasses. I'd love to stick a thermometer out there in that bog as I'm sure I could get some pretty freakin' cold readings on radiational nights, being a flat basin at the mouth of Smugglers Notch with towering mountains on both sides. Cold air just settles down into here and I see a lot of surface hoar on the snow in this area and not elsewhere on the mountain. A solid frost pocket.

Archived