joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2012/10/29/nrc-continues-to-monitor-sandy-including-alert-at-oyster-creek-plant/

The NRC continues to monitor impacts of Sandy on nuclear power plants in the Northeastern U.S., including an Alert declared at the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in New Jersey. The plant, currently in a regularly scheduled outage, declared the Alert at approximately 8:45 p.m. EDT due to water exceeding certain high water level criteria in the plant’s water intake structure.

Simply amazing, cirrus shield reaches all the way to the Iowa/Illinois border. Incredible size.

ft.jpg

To get a better idea of the immensity of Sandy, consider the following: a buoy just northeast of Cleveland was reporting sustained winds of 55 mph, and gusts to 67 mph, shortly after 10 PM. This thing is massive.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=cndo1

To get a better idea of the immensity of Sandy, consider the following: a buoy just northeast of Cleveland was reporting sustained winds of 55 mph, and gusts to 67 mph, shortly after 10 PM. This thing is massive.

http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=cndo1

We are getting easily 40-50MPH gusts here in NE GA. Winds have picked up significantly in the past hour.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you!

What does this mean?? Also can some whO has some knowledge about where the storm is etc care to comment?? I'm hanging in by a thread here w/ my iPhone..

With high tide over an hour away on the LI Sound, that's a bad sign. I'm thinking despite the more southeasterly winds now, the water rising so quick might force more water back toward the East River and prolong the flooding threat there.

With high tide over an hour away on the LI Sound, that's a bad sign. I'm thinking despite the more southeasterly winds now, the water rising so quick might force more water back toward the East River and prolong the flooding threat there.

Storm Tides are actually beginning to drop throughout LI Sound - looks like they won't come close to the Upton Forecast. Connecticut TV has reporters out where the water is falling.

breakingstorm

City officials confirm that an evacuation is underway at New York University Langone Medical Center - @eyewitnessnyc

10/29/12 11:10 PM

Claims that Coney Island Hospital is on fire and FDNY can't get there.

http://www.sheepshea..._medium=twitter

FDNY

#FDNY units are on scene at Coney Island Hospital. No confirmed fire or reports of injuries at this time.

10/29/12 11:14 PM

Storm Tides are actually beginning to drop throughout LI Sound - looks like they won't come close to the Upton Forecast. Connecticut TV has reporters out where the water is falling.

Looks like they did start to drop, so that's good news. Interesting because from reading the tide tables, it looked like the time of high tide was around 12am edt.

Friend on Upper East Side says there was an electrical fire in my building, the smoke has funneled into her apartment.

The NYFD/PD has asked 4 buildings to leave, taped them off and are not letting people back into their apartments until deemed safe even though none of them have power. The storm still has not hit there. She had to abandon my apartment, taken what she could and her friend came to the rescue.

Archived