SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a weird, sick feeling here. I hope to get outside for a walk today, but here where I am, damage is nothing worse than - dare I say it - a typical fall noreaster: leaves and some branches. My biggest personal problem is getting completely stir crazy and trying to work while we entertain our son. So it's surreal knowing all this damage we are seeing on TV and hearing first hand is so close. I know I am lucky and have to remember that in the coming weeks when things will be far from normal.

This is absolutely the most remarkable weather event I've seen especially in terms of impact. There are 10 or more trees down on my block alone...on houses, cars. Roads are blocked.

We had a huge tree fall and miss our home by less than 5 feet.

Cannot believe the extent of damage around here.

Agreed. This storm had incredible power, i never though i could get hurricane force winds in my area until yesterday

In terms of damage, it's the worst storm in Northeast US history and will be the most expensive natural disaster in US History. I don't think that point will really be debatable.

We are lucky we had the freak blizzard last Halloween and Irene to take down large amounts of weak trees and limbs already. I can only imagine all of that coming down in one storm.

This is absolutely the most remarkable weather event I've seen especially in terms of impact. There are 10 or more trees down on my block alone...on houses, cars. Roads are blocked.

We had a huge tree fall and miss our home by less than 5 feet.

Cannot believe the extent of damage around here.

I tried to leave my house in Edison by St Joes High School. Main street metuchen blocked before route 1, amboy blocked, 27 blocked,grove blocked, oak tree blocked, inman blocked...its all bad....

Not even close there fella.

Katrina was $41B insured loss (46.5B inlation adjusted).

Sandy might get to 15B insured. "might".

I think you're grossly underestimating Sandy's impact when all is said and done. Every town along coastal Jersey, including AC, were under water at some point yesterday. That's tens of thousands of homes and businesses with water and wind damage. You do the math. Then add on infrastructure damage in metro areas. Then visit CT, PA, MD, NYS, RI, MA, VA, WV, and add all that up. Not to mention MI, OH, IL, and IN.

From my parents in south Merrick returning to check on the house...complete destruction. Boats strewn all about. Surge made it to within 1 ft of my parents front door. Unbelievably lucky. Sorry to hear about the damage some of you guys experienced. It is truly scary to see what has occurred on such a large scale. I wish the best of luck to people who are/were in harms way

has anyone heard from Anthony?

Noreaster, sorry to hear about your home..

happy to see those of you who have posted and are ok, hoping for the best and good luck to you all..

amazing and surreal scenes..

sometime last night, someone posted that he had text them that he had lost power. thats the last i heard and i didn't see anything this am on facebook from him either.

Archived