• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

Just heard 7 subway tunnels are flooded. Most of those are the ones that pass under bodies of water - like the East River. A transportation official said it might take 4 days to pump out the subways!

6.5 million customers without power, not including Ontario, Ohio or Michigan!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd never know watching the news out of NYC. Lots of reporters talking on quiet streets and newsroom drama recapping minor weather-related events of the day.

Watching this situation unfold from Texas, I would have to totally agree with this assessment. With respect to life-threatening situations, surfing the internet things appear much, much worse right now as compared to watching some of the live news coverage on TV and online. You have to imagine all of these news stations have some of the same tools, such as live emergency police/fire scanners, to their disposable as we do.

6 alarm now.

NYC ARECS @nycarecs

#NYC Breezy Point (220 St) fire is now a 6 Alarm with 50 homes destroyed, 10 more burning. No hydrants, flooding restricting trucks. 2 DOA

14405_288426951268410_1855570512_n.jpg

Watching CNN right now with live coverage of this. You can see the fire blazing violently with the high winds. The road leading up to the fire is completely flooded and fireman are unable to even get close to it. Also most fire companies seem to be low on gas as well....

Some of the pictures I have seen of NYC are unreal. The nearly-black-out skyline was something, but the most incredible to me was the wave-rippled flooded streets of NYC. Its day-after-tomorrow type of stuff you never think youre going to see. We have thrashing wind, rain, sleet, and snow here in Michigan, and actually the sleet/wind smashing into the house woke me up in the middle of the night (Im a deep sleeper). The cloud shield from this storm extended to Iowa. Even though it was seen a week+ out, to actually see a hurricane this size is incredible. Hopefully the death toll is minimal..and stay safe all!

I'm sure this isn't exclusive to just here but Staten Island is in bad shape around me. Roofs destroyed, trees on cars/houses, shingles everywhere. On top of that my roommate in Hoboken called me hysterical last night because the Hudson River began coming in under our front door. The amount of flooded apartments and businesses in downtown jersey city and Hoboken is mind boggling. Bloomberg, the mayor of Hoboken, and everyone who didnt take this storm seriously should have to do a lot of answering when all is said and done. There was more than enough notice to get more people out.

Archived