Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dangerous Water Levels at Nuclear Plant

Rising water threatened the cooling system at the Oyster Creek nuclear plant, in Toms River, N.J., on Monday night. The plant declared an alert at 8:45 PM, which is the second-lowest level of the four-tier emergency scale established by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The water level was more than six feet above normal. At seven feet, the plant would lose the ability to cool its spent fuel pool in the normal fashion, according to Neil Sheehan, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The plant would probably have to switch to using fire hoses to pump in extra water to make up for evaporation, Mr. Sheehan said, because it could no longer pull water out of Barnegat Bay and circulate it through a heat exchanger, to cool the water in the pool.

If ordinary cooling ceased, the pool would take 25 hours to reach the boiling point, he said, giving the operators ample time to take corrective steps. The reactor itself has been shut since Oct. 22 for refueling, so it is relatively cool.

Alerts are declared a handful of times every year among the 104 power reactors around the country.

via here

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html

I am hearing, from friends, houses are almost submerged in North Woodmere. Water has crossed Peninsula Blvd on Woodmere Blvd. Thanks fully I live at one of the highest points in Woodmere so water is having a hard time getting to me...SICK STUFF GOING ON!

Was out driving trying to rescue a friend and his family, first floor is completely flooded, they are holed up on the second floor of their house but i cant get anywhere near their house because roads are completely flooded...

Cars are floating onto the Woodmere Golf Course....

I am hearing, from friends, houses are almost submerged in North Woodmere. Water has crossed Peninsula Blvd on Woodmere Blvd. Thanks fully I live at one of the highest points in Woodmere so water is having a hard time getting to me...SICK STUFF GOING ON!

Was out driving trying to rescue a friend and his family, first floor is completely flooded, they are holed up on the second floor of their house but i cant get anywhere near their house because roads are completely flooded...

Cars are floating onto the Woodmere Golf Course....

Wow I have friends that live on Barnard ave off branch blvd.

How's Hewlett doing peninsula near mill road ?

Archived