joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter axesmiley.pngaxesmiley.png

From a public awareness standpoint, this is a bad decision.

In fact, if Sandy winds up having a very destructive impact, the public could well argue that the NHC blew the forecast by failing to issue hurricane watches/warnings. Public perceptions matter and exact scientific details won't be an adequate counterargument. Even some politicians--namely the anti-NWS ones--might exploit that situation e.g., when it comes to finding spending reductions for dealing with the "fiscal cliff" or subsequent efforts at deficit reduction.

For years afterward, it might be commonly argued that the NHC failed to forecast the biggest storm in perhaps decades in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. Such claims can still be heard from some about Ernesto. This will almost certainly be much worse than Ernesto.

In the end, the sad thing will be that such public perceptions had been entirely avoidable and that the outcome was wholly self-inflicted.

The word is out and this town is prepared . Excellent staging area set up at one of the commuter lots filled with various vehicles and town trucks. Excellent website with alert system sent to all devices. Surge expected to surpass 92, we shall see.... Sandymonium in full effect this morning!

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter :axe: :axe:

Agree 110% Ryan! Relying on a HWW when the potential exists for hurricane force winds from a transitioning tropical system just doesn't make sense. I imagine most of the public will perceive a HWW as less of a threat than a Hurricane or Hurricane force wind warning. If CT ends up with 800k without power again, the public will be wondering what the hell happened. But I trust you guys in the media will be hammering this hard reminding viewers we can and likely will have tropical storm or even hurricane force winds without a warning from the NHC.

I'm speaking of imby. No power loss during Irene or the Halloween storm here. I doubt we lose it with a track into NJ from the sse either. Sans the big loop underneath...this will be impressive but I've seen just as ba in April 06 etc.

For a lot of you different story. Good luck

I disagree Scott. I'd expect to get whacked

I'm speaking of imby. No power loss during Irene or the Halloween storm here. I doubt we lose it with a track into NJ from the sse either. Sans the big loop underneath...this will be impressive but I've seen just as ba in April 06 etc.

For a lot of you different story. Good luck

I lost power for 6 days and I'm only 35-40 miles from you. I'm hoping not to live through that again.

Archived