joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Beryl: landfall 70 mph Jax Bch 12:10 AM 5/28 TS warnings lifted S SC to N FL

GaWx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She sorta looks annular this morning, doesn't she? Definitely not looking like the skeleton it once was...

Not a hurricane. Subtropical features look different. It's tropical now, watch the center become less cloud free. West side may always look a bit eroded as Beryl enters the shelf waters of Florida. Dry air was also a player keeping it tight and compact on the sides of Beryl.

If we were 4-6 weeks later into the summer, we would be talking about Beryl being a Hurricane. This storm is quickly getting its act together in <80 degree water.

Actually, the Gulf Stream, which is in the vicinity of the center, has 80+

SST's and up to ~28 C or 82.4 F. Also, upper atmospheric conditions are favorable. It cools to the upper 70's to the west of the Gulf Stream, which is still warm enough to maintain a pretty strong tropical storm under these conditions.

Nice radar shot out of JAX. Thing seems to be winding up a bit right before the center comes onshore. Not sure if that is because of land interaction though.

http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

Quick update, as of 8:00 pm TS Beryl is now up to 70 mph.

http://www.nhc.noaa....ml/272348.shtml

AT 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM BERYL WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 30.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 80.5 WEST. BERYL IS

MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/H. A WESTWARD MOTION

IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH LANDFALL. AFTER LANDFALL...BERYL

IS EXPECTED TO MOVE SLOWLY WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AND THEN TURN

NORTHWARD OVER PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERN FLORIDA AND SOUTHEASTERN

GEORGIA ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT.

AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AND DOPPLER RADAR DATA INDICATE THE BERYL

IS JUST BELOW HURRICANE STRENGTH WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR

70 MPH...110 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS

EXPECTED PRIOR TO LANDFALL...BUT ANY ADDITIONAL INCREASE IN

STRENGTH WOULD MAKE BERYL A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE. STEADY

WEAKENING IS FORECAST AFTER LANDFALL...AND BERYL IS EXPECTED

TO WEAKEN TO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION BY MONDAY NIGHT.

TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115 MILES...

185 KM FROM THE CENTER. JACKSONVILLE BEACH PIER RECENTLY REPORTED

SUSTAINED WINDS OF 50 MPH...80 KM/H...WITH A GUST TO 58 MPH...95

KM/H.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE

RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WAS 992 MB...29.29 INCHES.

Beryl is coming ashore as we speak...70 mph tropical storm. It's amazing that we already have had 2 named storms before June 1st...

Interesting tidbit, on TWC. they said this was only the 2nd US land falling tropical system before the start of the season. The last one was "decades ago" (he didn't specify the year while I was watching.) Not only that, land falling tropical systems are pretty rare in north/northeast florida. So this system, even though wasn't a cane, has historical value.

Interesting tidbit, on TWC. they said this was only the 2nd US land falling tropical system before the start of the season. The last one was "decades ago" (he didn't specify the year while I was watching.) Not only that, land falling tropical systems are pretty rare in north/northeast florida. So this system, even though wasn't a cane, has historical value.

Per Accuweather on FB:

Beryl is the 1st tropical storm to make landfall in the U.S. in May since Arlene in 1959.

One of Beryl's bands is less than 100mi away from my area. I am holding onto some slim hope it holds together for a while longer. :)

Don't hold your breath! I've seen 24 1/2 drops from two, count 'em, two clouds that got in the way of the continuous sun. Oops..it worked, my beginning to rant worked. I can hear rain...well, I could hear rain...got to be 300 drops or more.....and the suns back out. Sorry, Mayretta, don't hold your breath, lol. Oops....it's back. I can hear rain again, lordy, lordy, it's tropical now. I bet I've gotten 2000 drops..shoot I can even see them...after 15 days of waiting I can see Rain!! Ha, ha, it's alive!!! T

Beryl was a mostly non-event for some folks I know in Jacksonville who were directly in the center's path, about 15 miles inland. It was described as "light rain, which quit and started up again sometimes heavier, then a couple of hours of heavier rain and blustery winds". No power issues and no drainage or flooding. The latter surprised me given they're directly on the Pottsburgh less than a mile from the St Johns.

This kind of storm I can get behind. Springs up, pretty spiraling radar pattern, doesn't go nuts with damage at landfall, and brings some much-needed rain to lots of people!

*hoping the band survives another 2 counties to drop some on us*

Dang, you know you are in a drought when it takes an extremely unusual tropical landfall to bring you .1 of tropical rain. It is almost impossible to believe it happened, but the pavement is wet so I'm not dreaming. Could there be more? We are entering the Twilight Zone on that one, lol. T

Oddly enough, we had a pretty strong gust of wind come out of nowhere with no rain very closeby about 1:15 AM here in Savannah...clearly due to Beryl. Beryl plans a visit here tomorrow into maybe Wed AM.

Oddly enough, we had a pretty strong gust of wind come out of nowhere with no rain very closeby about 1:15 AM here in Savannah...clearly due to Beryl. Beryl plans a visit here tomorrow into maybe Wed AM.

For once, I got lucky yesterday larry. I had two bands come through. The first one provided the most rain, around 0.60...much more than ffc's radar estimation which only showed something like a 1/3rd or less. It was the heavist rain i have had in i dont' know when, with rates around 2 inches per hour for a time. It was wonderful.

Then a couple hours later, another band came through and got another 0.25 before it fell apart literally miutes after passing by...but it privided a lot of wind. Had a top gust of 33mph. So I'm already happy.

And this morning, some more rain looks to be making it's way here..only a county or two away and is alighned a way that if it holds together, I should get a decent amount. (but I've seen so many bands/storms disappear before getting here, I'm not going to be happy until it happens)

I never would have thought I could possibly get over an inch with this system and if I do it would be great. (although I need much much more). Still though, this is a great thing to see for my back yard....and god knows the rainall amounts over southeast/south Ga is great news there. They needed it even worse.

Nam also developeds a " back band" later today, as the system turns east. Hopefully that happens over me (hehe) because although narrow, it's likely to provide some decent rainfall.

Combined that with the upcoming system, which hopefully gives me a bit more (though since this isn't a tropical system, and given my screwjob history of late with predicted good rain makers with fronts, I'll believe it when I see it. Still I'm liking this week so far. Just too bad this system could not have traveled just 50 to 75 miles further northwest.

Per Accuweather on FB:

Beryl is the 1st tropical storm to make landfall in the U.S. in May since Arlene in 1959.

Thanks for the info. When you go over a half century between certain weather events, you know it's special.

Odd. I woke up in the middle of the night (2-3am) to strong gusts of wind that I hadn't seen since Sunday. Only lasted a little while and not much happening since. I wonder what it was.

Well the line made it here and it's pouring...gauge says it's about 2.60 inches per hour. Shame it won't last long (although there is some lighter rain behind it which hopefully is also heavier than the radar shows) but it took just a minute for runoff to happen. Man I love tropical rainfall.

Well the line made it here and it's pouring...gauge says it's about 2.60 inches per hour. Shame it won't last long (although there is some lighter rain behind it which hopefully is also heavier than the radar shows) but it took just a minute for runoff to happen. Man I love tropical rainfall.

I picked up 0.50 inches in about 15 minutes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Heaviest has past but even the ligh to moderate green is giving me about 0.30 an hour and am up to 0.57.

I know this isn't terribly exciting weather wise but after it being so dry here and being missed for so long, it is such a welcomed sight. Plus I didn't really expect to pick up this much from this system so excuse my happiness :)

Heaviest has past but even the ligh to moderate green is giving me about 0.30 an hour and am up to 0.57.

I know this isn't terribly exciting weather wise but after it being so dry here and being missed for so long, it is such a welcomed sight. Plus I didn't really expect to pick up this much from this system so excuse my happiness :)

Awesomeness! :thumbsup:

It's s l o w l y inching it's way here :lol:

Haha, Lookout...

This is most def exciting for your area!!! I bet you were just starring at the rain with the biggest smile, maybe even thinking it wasnt real, lol. Thats a chunk in 15min for sure.

At this noon hour...the remnants of Beryl is currently moving slowly NNE to NE across South Central Georgia...it continues to spiral plenty of moisture north and northwest towards the Western Carolinas and Northeast GA. I'm not sure the models are handling it very well. Seems like this feature may not be cutting eastward as quick as previously thought. That will be good news for the Eastern Carolinas as rain bands should cover a large area. I also believe the Western part of the Carolinas will also benefit from that and the approaching trough that is push Beryl out.

20120529_1545_CLT_vis.jpg

She looks to be moving more NNE than NE right now. So, it looks to me like she's tracking a bit west of the projected track for the time being. If that continues, she would stay inland longer through the Carolinas. However, she is projected to turn more ENEward shortly. Let's see if that occurs.

Here in Savannah, we just had a quick heavy squall-like feeder band come through from the south.

Just had one of those tropical downpours that only lasted 5 minutes but really put down a bunch of water very quickly. As she comes by us tomorrow and we feel the influence of that trough it could get really wet here. Flood and flash flood watches up already and with showers everyday for the last 7-8 days the ground can't handle alot real fast.

I did notice the city going around today clearing drains that had been clogged by last weeks storm that dropped 6 inches of rain and flooded many city streets.

Any chance some severe storms and/or tornados could be spawned from Beryl? I know that is sometimes a threat with these tropical systems.

Most definitely...I haven't seen a great number tornado warnings today but there is some dry air at the mid levels which would help in quick spin-up's as the circulation comes up the costal plain.

Tomorrow may actually be the higher threat for Eastern North Carolina...

Archived