SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAM really isn't that impressive for Thursday or Friday, maybe somewhere near a high-end slight risk for both days FWIW.

I'd consider what it's showing near the warm front and triple point Thursday to be pretty impressive. Moderate instability, LCLs <= 1000 m, strong LLJ, and large looping hodographs with convective initiation between 21-00z. Highest threat looks near or just north of the I-70 corridor in NW KS.

On both days, moisture seems like something of an issue along the dryline. However, it's possible the WRF is being too aggressive in mixing out moisture. The ECMWF looks much more optimistic in that regard for both days. We'll have to watch the trends carefully, because the kinematics for Friday are borderline-classic.

Wish we had the old C/W thread, considering it is looking increasingly possible we could see some impressive warm frontal action on one or more days in the GL/OV sub-forum's coverage area. Very strong wind profiles in this area as well, with adequate moisture/instability for supercells.

I'd consider what it's showing near the warm front and triple point Thursday to be pretty impressive. Moderate instability, LCLs <= 1000 m, strong LLJ, and large looping hodographs with convective initiation between 21-00z. Highest threat looks near or just north of the I-70 corridor in NW KS.

On both days, moisture seems like something of an issue along the dryline. However, it's possible the WRF is being too aggressive in mixing out moisture. The ECMWF looks much more optimistic in that regard for both days. We'll have to watch the trends carefully, because the kinematics for Friday are borderline-classic.

Yeah around HLC looked pretty darn impressive, really nice moisture/instability pool in that area with a gorgeous hodo at 0z.

Wish we had the old C/W thread, considering it is looking increasingly possible we could see some impressive warm frontal action on one or more days in the GL/OV sub-forum's coverage area. Very strong wind profiles in this area as well, with adequate moisture/instability for supercells.

Maybe if things develop into a significant event as we get closer the mods might merge the thread into one on the main forum page. This has happened before. Simultaneous warm and cold front action in a larger geograhic area that overlaps subregions in this forum looks quite probable. And with the trough hanging back west of the Mississippi until Tuesday we definitely could be looking at multi day concerns.

GFS keeps it strong further east as well, perhaps into the OH Valley/SE later. This combined with the things that Indy just mentioned and the high to the east being in a very conducive position for prolonged moisture return out of the Gulf and Caribbean definitely suggests this may not just be done at all once this initial vort max ejects on Saturday/Sunday.

For lack of a better word, wow...I'll be damned if that isn't a classic looking hodograph for significant tornadic action.

If you could add another 10-20 kts of storm-relative flow at H3-H2 for ventilation, I'd say that's simply textbook for supercells producing strong to violent tornadoes. Doubt that weakness will be a dealbreaker if it verifies verbatim, though. Guessing we'll probably see a 30% hatched along the WF on the new SWODY2. (Though, another caveat is that the GFS, and to a lesser extent EC, do show a narrower warm sector and more southward-sloping WF).

If you could add another 10-20 kts of storm-relative flow at H3-H2 for ventilation, I'd say that's simply textbook for supercells producing strong to violent tornadoes. Doubt that weakness will be a dealbreaker if it verifies verbatim, though. Guessing we'll probably see a 30% hatched along the WF on the new SWODY2. (Though, another caveat is that the GFS, and to a lesser extent EC, do show a narrower warm sector and more southward-sloping WF).

Scary part is we could see stuff like that over much, much larger areas on Friday and Saturday.

I can already tell the UL/mid level jet looks more poised to eject on Saturday than the 12z run.

BTW, the GFS precip maps for Friday looks to have a cluster of supercells around the Red River west of DFW Friday evening, Wichita Falls special.

Focusing on Thursday, only day it looks like we can chase, the NAM and GFS agree on cyclogenisis in SW NE. GFS is a bit farther north, but both hodos near the tp are stout with nice curving and SE surface flow. Both place hints of supercells along the dryline and in prime location to interact with the warm front. In this region the tornado threat will be greatly enhanced. Should be an interesting day in south central NE and north central KS.

Chip

Not really. Flow becomes weak/meridional.

For what day Tony? I see there being good wind shear both directional/speed for Monday in the Lower MS Valley and for Tuesday In the Mid MS Valley/Ohio Valley/Great Lakes with good LL moisture as far north as SW MI on Tuesday

SPC maintains 15% sig-hatched on Thursday:

22jdxc.jpg

ELEVATED CONVECTION/TSTMS MAY BE ONGOING AT THE START OF D2 ACROSS

PARTS OF THE CENTRAL/SRN PLAINS WITHIN A CORRIDOR OF WAA ALONG A

SSWLY LLJ. THIS ACTIVITY COULD PERSIST THROUGH THE DAY AS IT SPREADS

ENEWD. THE GREATEST THREAT FOR SEVERE STORMS REMAINS ALONG AND JUST

E OF THE GENERALLY N-S ORIENTED DRY LINE...WITH STORM INITIATION

EXPECTED BETWEEN 21-00Z. SLY LOW LEVEL FLOW ACROSS WRN PORTIONS OF

THE CENTRAL/SRN PLAINS WILL MAINTAIN NWD MOISTURE ADVECTION WITH A

NARROW CORRIDOR OF SURFACE DEWPOINTS IN THE LOWER 60S REACHING

CENTRAL KS /E OF DRY LINE/. THIS COMBINED WITH STRONG SURFACE

HEATING AND STEEP MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES SHIFTING EWD ATOP THE DRY