• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Radio said the Smugglers' Notch Road is closed due to snow accumulation. There was some light snow falling in Danville while I was stuck at the construction site on my way in this morning. Quite a crisp feel to the air in Peacham this morning but there was no sign of snow at 1300'

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can pass along a few observations from my transit out of the land of upslope into the Champlain Valley this morning. It was pouring rain at the house (495’) in Waterbury when I left, and temperatures were in the upper 30s F through the Winooski Valley, but there were crystals in the drops of rain hitting the car’s windshield. The heavy rainfall continued until the center of Jonesville (320’), and then it began to taper off. The intensity of the precipitation was just showery in Richmond (300’), but cold air was definitely working in, because it was actually snowing at times. That intermittent rain or snow continued up toward the high point of I-89 there in Williston (620’), and then that gradually tapered away as I approached Burlington. In Burlington it’s actually partly cloudy with a pleasant strip of blue off to the west across the lake, but even here (380’) there have been a few spits of frozen precipitation. Not surprisingly, the view from here at UVM is one of a wall of precipitation hiding the Green Mountains off to the east.

Radio said the Smugglers' Notch Road is closed due to snow accumulation. There was some light snow falling in Danville while I was stuck at the construction site on my way in this morning. Quite a crisp feel to the air in Peacham this morning but there was no sign of snow at 1300'

Now sticking better down here...amazing what two hundred feet does. 900ft at the driveway enterence it's mostly just wet still, up at 1100ft all the condo decks are white as are the shrubs.

A co-worker just came in from Trapp Family Lodge area and her car was covered with almost an inch. That's up at 1400ft.

burts of sideways snow up here, nothing sticking here by the lake, accum all the way down to the Missisquoi river in Troy though, blowing like it means it, should be a fun hike/ski later

Yeah it is blowing that's for sure...I think I'm right on the accum line at 950ft. We have that patchy white on the forest floor: moss, logs,some leaves have accumulation while any depression or wet area doesn't. It's interesting because some evergreens are really turning white while others arent at all.

Light snow continues at 34F. Vis has come up though...more like 2-4 miles now instead of the earlier burst under a mile.

Light snow not accumulating over this way. Looks good on Burke as it is white down to maybe 2000ft

Wow surprised it's not accumulating below that...

A buddy just sent me a pic from the Stowe parking lot at 1600ft and it looks like a couple inches, at least everything is caked in snow. 3pm can't come soon enough.

CTsnowstorm...

As we talked about, its snowing on the west side of town where I am closer to the mountain, and the sun is coming out from the village center eastward, lol.

Good stuff!! Pretty much a typical event lol sun popped out near st j but per LSC webcam it's still cloudy and my buddy said its spitting snow.

My buddy just went up to Newark (2100') and he said its accumulating on the grass but not the roads and they got about 1".

Orographic lift is helping you guys out big time! Classic late season event. Wicked cold aloft though.... -8C at 850!

Here are a few shots from today's snow from the lower elevations (1,100ft or less)...

Early this morning when the only snow visible was above 2,000ft on the neighboring hillside.

IMG_5053_edited-1.jpg

When it first changed over this morning at 950ft on the Mountain Road.

IMG_5038_edited-1.jpg

RT 108 closed at the ski resort due to snow through Smugglers Notch.

IMG_5070_edited-2.jpg

Snowy scene right around 1,000ft in elevation.

IMG_5055_edited-2.jpg

Sweet last day to enjoy flakes in the air as I suspect we are done after this.

Here are a few shots from today's snow from the lower elevations (1,100ft or less)...

Early this morning when the only snow visible was above 2,000ft on the neighboring hillside.

IMG_5053_edited-1.jpg

When it first changed over this morning at 950ft on the Mountain Road.

IMG_5038_edited-1.jpg

RT 108 closed at the ski resort due to snow through Smugglers Notch.

IMG_5070_edited-2.jpg

Snowy scene right around 1,000ft in elevation.

IMG_5055_edited-2.jpg

Sweet last day to enjoy flakes in the air as I suspect we are done after this.

Good stuff as usual PF. You guys got a lot of oro help as usual. Areas out here didn't have the accumulation you had at 1000ft even at 2000 ft haha. Atleast through this evening per my wx buddies l

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.68” L.E.

It was in the upper 30s F when I left Burlington this afternoon, and while we’d seen some spits of frozen precipitation there earlier today, nothing was falling when I left. Temperatures remained in that upper 30s F range through the Winooski Valley and into Waterbury Center; and it snowed continuously in the mountain valleys, although it wasn’t accumulating. Finally, as I headed through the Moscow area near Stowe, I saw that the temperature had dropped into the mid 30s F, but there was still no visible snow accumulation. It was right around 1,000’ near the Matterhorn that I first started seeing accumulations of snow, and by the time I’d reached the base of Mt. Mansfield at around 1,500’, the temperature was near freezing and the snow was accumulating easily. I found an inch or two of new snow outside the Mansfield Base Lodge, and even down at that elevation it was quite dry. I skinned up to near 3,500’ just a bit below the top of the Fourrunner Quad, and it was a little tough to get an accurate measurement of the snow depth due to drifting, but I’ll go with 5 inches as my best guess. I did find areas where accumulations were as deep as 7 inches, but those seemed to be spots where snow had collected efficiently with help from the wind. As of 5:20 P.M., the depth of snow at the Mt. Mansfield Stake had gone up by 4 inches, so that certainly seems to be in the range of what I found up in the higher elevations. Anyway, the snow was nice medium-weight powder, and although this storm hasn’t delivered as much as that last one a couple weeks ago, the powder is of much higher quality. It’s not totally bottomless powder skiing everywhere, but in many areas it is, and with the nice base snow below, it makes for some smooth and effortless turns. I added a couple of shots from today below:

27APR12D.jpg

27APR12C.jpg

It snowed the whole time I was on the mountain, and it was definitely accumulating, but the snowfall was generally light in intensity. Temperatures were dropping when I left the resort around 6:30 P.M. or so, and I saw accumulating snow all the way down to The Gables Inn on the Mountain Road, which is around 750’. I had dinner with the family at Frida’s, and when we were done, snow was accumulating right in the center of Stowe at around 700’ as the temperatures continued to drop. It snowed on and off all the way back to our house in Waterbury (495’), and I found a couple of tenths of accumulation on the snowboard as of 8:00 P.M. It’s continued to snow all evening, it’s still been light, but there’s another tenth of an inch or two on the board now.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Light Snow/Graupel

Snow at the stake: Trace

A quality upslope dusting last night across town... this is the stuff we see in January. Huge, fluffy, cotton ball flakes.

I'm surprised at how fluffy this stuff is, it will evaporate when the sun comes out. MVL reported -SN for like 7 hours last night so there's been flurries in the air probably all night long.

28F here at 800ft... but 23F at 1,600ft (from base of ski resort) and 14F at 4,000ft... BRRRRR

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.69” L.E.

It was snowing last night when I headed off to bed, and it’s still snowing this morning, but there’s only been an additional tenth of an inch of snow beyond what was down last night because it’s been so light in intensity here in the valley. The precipitation was just flurries when I made my morning CoCoRaHS report at 6:00 A.M., but it’s over to a steadier light snow now, and the radar still shows the precipitation coming in from the northwest and crashing into the spine of the Northern Greens. Mt. Mansfield has certainly picked up at least a bit of additional accumulation if the radar has been like that all night:

28APR12A.gif

28APR12B.gif

I’m not sure if we’ll see any additional accumulation down at this elevation, but it’s been nice to get another event into the books, and this falls in as the 45th accumulating storm of the season for this location. Prior to this, the last accumulating snow here was at the beginning of the month, so this could have gone down as the earliest end to the accumulating snowfall in my six seasons of records, but it’s not going to claim that record. The accumulating snowfall season now stands at 182 days with this event, so that’s in the half-year range, which is at least falls into the average zone. It’s still been the least snowy April in that span though with just 0.4 inches so far, and 2011-2012 is still the least snowy season by over a foot, so those dubious honors are still out there.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.6 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

I added a couple of shots from today below:

27APR12D.jpg

It snowed the whole time I was on the mountain, and it was definitely accumulating, but the snowfall was generally light in intensity. Temperatures were dropping when I left the resort around 6:30 P.M. or so, and I saw accumulating snow all the way down to The Gables Inn on the Mountain Road, which is around 750’.

Love the story. Thanks for posting all this! I'm thinking of hiking Algonquin again next week. Hoping to see some white stuff but not expecting it though.

Archived