SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next two days look AWESOME if you want to get on piste. Spring conditions with a deep snowpack at several resorts will make for some damn fun afternoons. Empty too.

Next week looks warm, damp and generally crappy. After that I think we see cool temps rule the roost in the last 10 days of march.

Next two days look AWESOME if you want to get on piste. Spring conditions with a deep snowpack at several resorts will make for some damn fun afternoons. Empty too.

Next week looks warm, damp and generally crappy. After that I think we see cool temps rule the roost in the last 10 days of march.

I think most summits remain below 40F each day less the very mild days which will be few up top.

There is a crevasse opening up on the top of the final pitch on Slalom Hill at Stowe. Goes down about 5 feet and about 5 inches wide. Never seen that before, wish I had my camera with me.

lol our mutual friend brought that up at daily meeting today. We are waiting for a slab to release and take out the Sunny base terminal like that avalanche in France (joking, for the record) ;) Did you stop and look at during your run through the gates today?

MMSC said they'll lose a kid in it if it gets any bigger, haha. I'll have to grab a photo of it. It is no danger to anyone right now, Ginx. I've seen it on Liftline's 13th Pitch in the spring, too. Downhill creep of the snowpack on steep pitches.

lol our mutual friend brought that up at daily meeting today. We are waiting for a slab to release and take out the Sunny base terminal like that avalanche in France (joking, for the record) ;) Did you stop and look at during your run through the gates today?

MMSC said they'll lose a kid in it if it gets any bigger, haha. I'll have to grab a photo of it. It is no danger to anyone right now, Ginx. I've seen it on Liftline's 13th Pitch in the spring, too. Downhill creep of the snowpack on steep pitches.

We were at SR 2001 when a loud crack echoed across the Aurora Mtn area. They closed the top of a steep which developed one of those crevices, we got a good look at it from the lift, pretty cool.

39F at 11AM...heading up to 45-48F today...I still have 10-12" in the shade near our snow stake, but bare spots are emerging now under bigger pine trees in the sun. We'll see how today goes in terms of melting. I think valley region in VT could surpass 60F if they can melt their snow enough...haven't been down to St. J since Sunday so I don't know their snow situation, granted their webcam on 91 shows some bare spots on the sides of the roads already.

Classic situation where east of the greens is having trouble shooting upward with temperatures early on here as some of the warm advection from the SW is getting bloacked by the greens.

As of 11:15pm, it is 40F at St. J, 39F here at LSC, and meanwhile on the other side of the greens, it is 44F at MPV, 48 at MVL, 47 at BTV and 50 at RUT.

Even VSF on the east side of the greens in southern VT is only 42F. Cool stuff. Classic.

Classic situation where east of the greens is having trouble shooting upward with temperatures early on here as some of the warm advection from the SW is getting bloacked by the greens.

As of 11:15pm, it is 40F at St. J, 39F here at LSC, and meanwhile on the other side of the greens, it is 44F at MPV, 48 at MVL, 47 at BTV and 50 at RUT.

Even VSF on the east side of the greens in southern VT is only 42F. Cool stuff. Classic.

Well I think the difference also has to do with the starting points. At 7am it was 37 at BTV and but only 20 in St. J. Plus we have that whole snowcover cooling aid while in Burlington their snow is only in the long distance views.

Well I think the difference also has to do with the starting points. At 7am it was 37 at BTV and but only 20 in St. J. Plus we have that whole snowcover cooling aid while in Burlington their snow is only in the long distance views.

That is true, but the amount of incoming solar radiation we have today would be enough to level out the playing field so to speak montpelier is usually just as cold as st. J and they were a solid 5F higher at 11am than we were out this way (with snowcover I might add)...

but they were 25F while St. J was 20F at 7am(At the college we were 23F so that's weird)....Rutland has jumped to 55F at 12pm...and they started equal with Montpelier at 25F this morning...one difference is they have literally no snow..not even snow banks.

I think it'll level off for everyone that has cover up in N VT except in the Champlain Valley once the advection takes over this afternoon...already up to 46F here now..as I write this, the temp seems to be going up 0.2F even 5 minute observation period.

Archived