Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

<p>

You can just see how energy ( vorticity) dropped down from Canada again. Pretty cool. There is more than just pure upslope going on. What an epic event.

Yeah dude... this is the benefits of having the deep cut-offs and cyclonic flow because it just pin-wheels vorticity around the upper level low. This is a great case study for looking for all these features for future events. Just incredible snow. I've got another 1" in the last 90 minutes from this burst.

You can see another burst developing upstream of the Spine....another wave of heavy snow should move through in the next 15-20 minutes.

Its funny it lightens up to like 1/4-1/2" per hour, and then comes down in bursts that are like fog.

Just look at the difference between 12pm and 5pm on this village web cam... that fence was almost completely showing yesterday morning after the rain (snow above 1,800ft) from that first storm on Wednesday night. LOL at how hard it was snowing around noon.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah dude... this is the benefits of having the deep cut-offs and cyclonic flow because it just pin-wheels vorticity around the upper level low.  This is a great case study for looking for all these features for future events.  Just incredible snow.  I've got another 1" in the last 90 minutes from this burst.

I can not imagine what your summit totals will be, catching up to some good numbers at the stake.

Nice pics PF. I'd weenie out as well if u had that. Jay peak must be epic too.

Yeah I'm getting the upslope thing out of my system. I'm just in heaven right now.

It is still absolutely ripping out. I haven't seen it snow like this for this duration in a very long time.

This one will be remember by folks around here for quite some time. The storm that made the winter.

And it just will not stop dumping. These 30dbz+ areas that don't look like they are making it past the ridgeline, are. The fast flow aloft is carrying that stuff down into town here. I mean we are going to have yet another powder day tomorrow at this rate. Can we hit 3 feet up high?

Yeah I'm getting the upslope thing out of my system.  I'm just in heaven right now.

It is still absolutely ripping out.  I haven't seen it snow like this for this duration in a very long time.

This one will be remember by folks around here for quite some time.  The storm that made the winter.

And it just will not stop dumping.  These 30dbz+ areas that don't look like they are making it past the ridgeline, are.  The fast flow aloft is carrying that stuff down into town here.  I mean we are going to have yet another powder day tomorrow at this rate.  Can we hit 3 feet up high?

Was all that snow skied off today? I mean the woods have to be loaded.

Holy crap... Jay Peak posted 28"-33" total!!

Yeah I'd believe... given that we had 23" at 1:30pm, and estimating 26" at 4pm may have actually been low given the 2"/hr rates we've sustained all day long. They are in a perfect spot for this and may have gotten a bit more snow from the front end synoptic portion being up closer to Canada where the best forcing was last night.

From here to Jay may have a shot at 40"+... actually I have no doubt Jay reports at least 40" storm total tomorrow morning. If this doesn't shut off till like 10pm, that's another 4-8" at 1-2"/hr and 30+dbz. Heck there's specks of 35-40dbz over Mansfield right now. I mean that's like snow fog up at 3,000ft+... that's like clumps of snow falling out of the sky.

Was all that snow skied off today? I mean the woods have to be loaded.

No not even close, it snowed like 10-14" on the mountain during the day. It was snowing faster than you could ever ski it. Last run for me at 2pm was thigh deep on the sides of trails.

Plus it was so deep that where it flattened out, people were all staying in the same path because you'd get stuck if you went off the beaten path. Just wild stuff dude.

Heading up to Stowe Mt. tomorrow until Wednesday. I knew if I waited long enough, New England skiing would make a wonderful comeback. Looking forward to seeing 60"+ depths at the summit.

You've made a good choice. It looks like we'll have another powder day tomorrow as these bands of very heavy snow just keep developing upstream of the mountain.

This is the equivalent of a lake effect band, essentially. 1-3"/hr quarter sized dendrites just pouring from the sky. I was thinking this must be like what it feels like to be on the Tug Hill during one of those events.

Lower level radar scan can't see this side of the mountains too well but this is like what Pete and those guys saw during the October storm. Just 30+dbz that just sits and pours snow for hour after hour.

Debating on a trip to Stowe from here Sunday am. We loved Bretton Woods and my 3yr old loved the full day class - which makes it tough. But skiing in the 40" that PF is talking about is interesting too.

Enjoyed Bretton Woods much more this time. Lots of time on the West Mountain, and then all the way on the east side skiing the short "diamonds" away from the crowds. Awesome apres ski, nice rock wall for the kids. Good times. At the base I'm guessing maybe 5-7" or thereabouts total. At the top it was at least 10, probably 12/13". They haven't updated in a bit and are talking about 5-6" there...apparently the web guy doesn't get to the top much.

Posted the photos over there with the snow squalls in the hills. Cannon was awesome...whiteout at the top, halfway down the trails not a flake. Cool to see on the ride back.

Debating on a trip to Stowe from here Sunday am. We loved Bretton Woods and my 3yr old loved the full day class - which makes it tough. But skiing in the 40" that PF is talking about is interesting too.

Enjoyed Bretton Woods much more this time. Lots of time on the West Mountain, and then all the way on the east side skiing the short "diamonds" away from the crowds. Awesome apres ski, nice rock wall for the kids. Good times. At the base I'm guessing maybe 5-7" or thereabouts total. At the top it was at least 10, probably 12/13". They haven't updated in a bit and are talking about 5-6" there...apparently the web guy doesn't get to the top much.

Posted the photos over there with the snow squalls in the hills. Cannon was awesome...whiteout at the top, halfway down the trails not a flake. Cool to see on the ride back.

Ditch BW for Stowe.

doin attitash tommorrow....uncle's wife call's says "ya ...broker messed up on our attitash time share weekend....and made it this week (they are at cranmore sorta slopeside this week) .......so you and a friend can go up...ski side ski in ski out for sun/mon.....yipeee.....will bring gifts of thanks

looks like that had some mild upslope most of the day there still goin like 3-5 of fluff on top of 5-10 of heavy wet snow. should be fun

WOW! So good today. Hey Freak! I'm Freaking freaking out. Best way to christen a new pair of skis. Love the new Volkl's. A few new inches down on the east slope as well. Too bad I forgot my snorkel!!!!!!!

Dude... another inch in the last 45 minutes or so. 17" storm total at 800ft on the Mountain Road since yesterday afternoon.

The Mansfield Co-Op is a joke... haha. Collecting snow in an 8-inch rain gage on a wind-swept rocky ridge is not the way to do it.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
606 PM EST SAT FEB 25 2012
STATION			PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 0.98	25   9   9			   13.0  67

You do it on a snow board with a stake attached to it in a relatively flat (for 3,000ft) opening in the woods.

13"... yeah and I'm 3 feet tall.

Archived