joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/29-3/2 Storm Threat

Grothar

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of blogs like this from professional meteorologists and a somewhat dependable weather model. There is no weenie here. Just because there is no teleconnection does not mean it MIGHT happen. I tell you this, last week, many posters were following every single model run like it was a life or death situation. First the GFS 10 days out, then Euro, then back to the GFS and even the JMA and NAM and it ended up the Euro was right 5-10 days out. Now I start a topic on the potential of a storm event from the most reliable weather model we have this winter and from a blog of a pro met http://www.occupyit.us/bobby.php and suddenly I am labeled a weenie and compared to Ji? Come on guys, you must do better than this. Can I say blackballing, ignorance or just p'ode that we did get a biggie snowstorm last week?

No disrespect to Bobby, but Ray's completely right...he's not a pro met and shouldn't be advertised as one unless he has a full blown degree.

You might want to delete your comment on Facebook about it since Ray's 100% right...jus' sayin'

For the record, I don't think he ever graduated from Penn State... otherwise I'm sure it would be mentioned here:

http://www.occupyit....es/BobbyBio.pdf

solely looking at teleconnections this potential has everything stacked against it and i would be shocked if by 12z thurs the euro still has the same solution. Time to troll the weenie group on fb and bring them down to reality.

Too bad the ensembles have the low scooting out at Hatteras otherwise I'd give you that ammo. :lol:

No disrespect to Bobby, but Ray's completely right...he's not a pro met and shouldn't be advertised as one unless he has a full blown degree.

You might want to delete your comment on Facebook about it since Ray's 100% right...jus' sayin'

Done. Thanks Ray is right. Sorry for doubting you. By the way cannot teleconnections change as much as models and aren't models based on those teleconnections? I am having a real problem digesting the fact the Euro can shown HECS yet everyone is claiming the teleconnections are not there? I really thought the Euro has been pretty accurate this far out especially this year. Why are so many doubting the Euro now? Have we been burned too many times?

Done. Thanks Ray is right. Sorry for doubting you. By the way cannot teleconnections change as much as models and aren't models based on those teleconnections? I am having a real problem digesting the fact the Euro can shown HECS yet everyone is claiming the teleconnections are not there? I really thought the Euro has been pretty accurate this far out especially this year. Why are so many doubting the Euro now? Have we been burned too many times?

There is more accuracy in teleconnection outlooks because they are based on 500mb where model skill is more accurate farther out in time than at the surface. There are hot spots where the models are more accurate globally and can be used to corroborate model outlooks elsewhere which are not as skillful. You'll see e.g.pmdepd/hmd(s) say how the forecast over the conus does/does not "teleconnect" well with the closed low over.... An outlooked 500mb low over Baffin Island does not teleconnect well with a hecs in our area. Plus look at the wavelengths even on today's Euro prog, its awfully short and the pattern is pretty progressive (kind of like last weekend's non-event) which would lean toward a lighter event. The history of the Euro this winter beyond 120 hrs beside this past weekend, as been well not heads and tails above the rest. How much snow did we get on Thanksgiving, Christmas, early January, etc? Even today with the Friday low, its way slower than any other model and a couple of days ago it was land bombing the low through New England (go look at the start of Typhoon Tip's thread) and gave us about 1.5 to 2.5 inches water equivalent. If its still inaccurate with the Friday system, is it going to get more accurate farther out in forecast time?

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, but this winter these overly phased euro solutions beyond day4 have not worked. Can it still snow from this system, with that cold high to the north if true, yeah. But the teleconnections would favor a faster moving system, likely trending north (both the nao and pna are outlooked to be in warmer phases) and with less of an impact than the current op Euro would indicate.

There is more accuracy in teleconnection outlooks because they are based on 500mb where model skill is more accurate farther out in time than at the surface. There are hot spots where the models are more accurate globally and can be used to corroborate model outlooks elsewhere which are not as skillful. You'll see e.g.pmdepd/hmd(s) say how the forecast over the conus does/does not "teleconnect" well with the closed low over.... An outlooked 500mb low over Baffin Island does not teleconnect well with a hecs in our area. Plus look at the wavelengths even on today's Euro prog, its awfully short and the pattern is pretty progressive (kind of like last weekend's non-event) which would lean toward a lighter event. The history of the Euro this winter beyond 120 hrs beside this past weekend, as been well not heads and tails above the rest. How much snow did we get on Thanksgiving, Christmas, early January, etc? Even today with the Friday low, its way slower than any other model and a couple of days ago it was land bombing the low through New England (go look at the start of Typhoon Tip's thread) and gave us about 1.5 to 2.5 inches water equivalent. If its still inaccurate with the Friday system, is it going to get more accurate farther out in forecast time?

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, but this winter these overly phased euro solutions beyond day4 have not worked. Can it still snow from this system, with that cold high to the north if true, yeah. But the teleconnections would favor a faster moving system, likely trending north (both the nao and pna are outlooked to be in warmer phases) and with less of an impact than the current op Euro would indicate.

Thank you for the excellent explanation and the time to you took to explain

good call.

Archived