SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 19th 2012 Winter Storm Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct. Harris is off of 221 just over the line by a few miles.

Winds have really picked up over the past hour. Temp is bouncing from 44-45......

Good luck folks!

Good luck Mark! and all you NC folks! You dont have any idea how jealous I am!! Sucks not being a part of this one but at least somebody is going to see some snow.

Roanoke, Va. reporting light rain/snow mix at 38/31

That is a good sign , just checked the ob and mixing with 38/31. VT is reporting -SN at 36/36, evidence that despite some surface warmth, what is going on aloft is quickly overcoming it. Who says you need a 2mT at or below freezing. Will be interested to see if that continues into the early afternoon for places like GSO, do they transition with wet bulbs still in the mid 30's.

Thanks man..

But I think I will be sitting this one out. I think Rutherford County will be split in half and this end of the county always gets the short end.

Good luck Mark! and all you NC folks! You dont have any idea how jealous I am!! Sucks not being a part of this one but at least somebody is going to see some snow.

Figured I would wake up to a Winter Storm Warning.

SURRY-WILKES-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DOBSON...WILKESBORO

355 AM EST SUN FEB 19 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

UNTIL 6 AM EST MONDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 6 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS AGAINST THE BLUE RIDGE.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW.

* TIMING...RAIN MIXING WITH SNOW BY LATE MORNING...CHANGING TO ALL

SNOW BY LATE AFTERNOON. SOME SLEET MAY MIX IN. SNOW TAPERS OFF

AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS MAINLY THIS AFTERNOON AND

ESPECIALLY TONIGHT. REDUCED VISIBILITIES IN HEAVIER SNOW THIS

AFTERNOON AND EVENING. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING IN THE MID 30S BY DUSK...AND DROPPING

INTO THE MID TO UPPER 20S TONIGHT.

That is a good sign , just checked the ob and mixing with 38/31. VT is reporting -SN at 36/36, evidence that despite some surface warmth, what is going on aloft is quickly overcoming it. Who says you need a 2mT at or below freezing. Will be interested to see if that continues into the early afternoon for places like GSO, do they transition with wet bulbs still in the mid 30's.

Especially with damming and a NE to NNE wind component- the wind direction forces the colder air into a path of least resistance- means a good bleed south for the NC piedmont during the late morning/early afternoon. I would be really worried about the validity of this storm if I saw any wind direction from 270 to 360- radar signature looks like it is going to start filling in rapidly over NC as well

This was supposed to prompt a met to say: "No, wait, our supersecret in-house model shows a quick burst of 1-2 inches for you tonight!"

Sigh ....

43/41 at the Shelby Airport .....

12z NAM and morning RUC runs pretty much take CLT metro out of the mix for even a dusting. Might see some back end flurries, but the U.S. 74 corridor folks look to be spectators on this one -- good luck to y'all along I 40 and in Triangle.

Here is a picture a friend just sent me from Floyd County VA. She said the car thermometer was reading 29. This is above 2000', but she said it was snowing all the way down to just West of Bassett, VA and she said there was sleet in Ridgeway VA where her thermometer read 37. There is no doubt that the cold air is arriving aloft. Just need the heavier bands of precipitation now to bring it to the surface.

post-1075-0-16341400-1329662306.jpg

Archived