joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long until Adam shows up with his torch? Weeklies come out tonight so i'm sure he will be posting shortly.

Much to my consternation, I'm waiting for the Week 3-4 flip to cold on tonight's weeklies. Sorry I haven't been around much this week... running numbers instead of forecasting weather.

Much to my consternation, I'm waiting for the Week 3-4 flip to cold on tonight's weeklies. Sorry I haven't been around much this week... running numbers instead of forecasting weather.

Do you really think they will flip? Didn't they actually get warmer on Monday for weeks 3 and 4? It sounds like running numbers isn't something you enjoy which i wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Do you really think they will flip? Didn't they actually get warmer on Monday for weeks 3 and 4? It sounds like running numbers isn't something you enjoy which i wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Yeah. Even if they don't, I suspect the period around Feb 5-10 or so - and maybe longer depending on the NAO - will be cooler than normal at PHL.

I love running numbers. I hate troubleshooting when the numbers don't run right.

weeklies?

Week 1 is still a torch (Jan 23-29). Week 2 is cooling, maybe +3 at PHL, with some hints of a -NAO. Week 3 is weird and not what I was expecting - it looks like a +PNA with a total torch coast to coast in Canada, but temps closer to normal in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. Week 4 sets up a standard +PNA/-NAO configuration with cool anomalies in the Eastern 1/3 of the country.

Week 1 is still a torch (Jan 23-29). Week 2 is cooling, maybe +3 at PHL, with some hints of a -NAO. Week 3 is weird and not what I was expecting - it looks like a +PNA with a total torch coast to coast in Canada, but temps closer to normal in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. Week 4 sets up a standard +PNA/-NAO configuration with cool anomalies in the Eastern 1/3 of the country.

LOL thats the best run of the year

12z GFS says after late this week it gets pretty chilly through the rest of the run. A couple of opportunities thrown in for snow also. No arctic cold or big nor'easters but chilly and wintry, something we haven't had on a consistent basis this winter.

12z GFS says after late this week it gets pretty chilly through the rest of the run. A couple of opportunities thrown in for snow also. No arctic cold or big nor'easters but chilly and wintry, something we haven't had on a consistent basis this winter.

Gorgeous PNA ridge on that 12z GFS.. Too bad the atl doesn't look favorable. Still, it's pretty nice looming and will have to keep an eye towards the end of jan.

Gorgeous PNA ridge on that 12z GFS.. Too bad the atl doesn't look favorable. Still, it's pretty nice looming and will have to keep an eye towards the end of jan.

On the plus side the gfs has had more skill outlooking the pna than nao this winter (the nao and pna outlooks have both been too negative). The NAEFS weekly chances of being warmer than average are also trending downward.

Can anyone summize the 12Z Euro? The 1/2" snow so far this winter ain't cutting it!

Alright between 132 and 144 hrs the 12 Z ECM has another storm system to effect the region. Temperatures are between 30-35 thru out PA..540 line is across Northern PA 138 it sinks to the south but still N slightly of ABE...and all of SE PA is south of the 540 line as well as all of NJ is south of that 540 line..850s are at freezing or slightly below..So right now this looks like this could be the next threat of winter precipitation..Unfortunately because of the 540 line we could be talking about an ice event/ or snow event..

There is also a storm at 180 hrs + but that verbatim would be rain...

Can anyone summize the 12Z Euro? The 1/2" snow so far this winter ain't cutting it!

What i have read in the other forums is there are a couple of threats but they are marginal at best at this time. DT is honking about a low that brings us rain and the Ohio Valley snow, which means good news for us. When DT calls for an inland track, the storms usually end up off the coast.

some timing differences with the late week storm. Euro is the more progressive model (surprisingly?) as it zips an Apps/I-81 runner through Thursday night/Friday AM...0z GFS brings a weak piece of energy through Thursday, main course on Saturday as energy is held back.

Looks to me like we better enjoy the snow we have as it doesn't look good for anymore anytime soon.

Slightly above normal this week, but certainly not the torch previously advertised, followed by a late

week storm tracking west of us bringing a decent dose of rain followed by some transient average

cold. Models have seemingly backed off on any significant blocking in early Feb which continues the

theme of this winter.

Average temps rounding the bottom of the valley and heading up starting late this week.

Looks to me like we better enjoy the snow we have as it doesn't look good for anymore anytime soon.

Slightly above normal this week, but certainly not the torch previously advertised, followed by a late

week storm tracking west of us bringing a decent dose of rain followed by some transient average

cold. Models have seemingly backed off on any significant blocking in early Feb which continues the

theme of this winter.

Average temps rounding the bottom of the valley and heading up starting late this week.

Not what the 12z GFS has to say about it.

I think the GFS is predicting a move toward MJO phase 7/8 by the beginning of February, which may offer help, but for now that's heavy on the speculation and who knows what every other atmospheric variable is going to do by then. I'm pretty much grasping at straws here--I was reading through some of the old threads from 09/10 on Eastern and it got me nostalgic. I won't stop craving those big stemwinders, as it were.

http://www.meteo.psu.../ecmwfloop.html

All the global models are now focusing on a storm next weekend. GFS is suppressed along with the Nogaps. GGEM is a coastal hugger/just inland track while the Euro track looks good, i'm not sure about temperatures. A lot of question marks about next Saturday at this point though some kind of storm looks likely.

http://www.meteo.psu.../ecmwfloop.html

All the global models are now focusing on a storm next weekend. GFS is suppressed along with the Nogaps. GGEM is a coastal hugger/just inland track while the Euro track looks good, i'm not sure about temperatures. A lot of question marks about next Saturday at this point though some kind of storm looks likely.

EC temps are marginal. It'd be a slop fest verbatim. Cold air isn't really available at the start.

EC temps are marginal. It'd be a slop fest verbatim. Cold air isn't really available at the start.

Yes, that is what i thought. However it was a big change from it's oz run. I think there will be a lot of uncertainty (what's new, right!) this week.

Archived