• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a low sun angle, the difference isn't as bad, but recall March 2010 when we were busting like 5-6 degrees higher than MOS on NW flow. No snow in Quebec helped with those temps.

Yeah...we had BTV in the WxChallenge with no snow in mid March. I think I finished 2nd overall in the country by knowing enough to go way above MOS. I think there were a handful of days where they were mixing up to H85 even on light wind days. lol

Especially with a low sun angle still, I don't think snow cover is going to be the huge factor that busts up our winter. It's not going to be "Oh well we would've gotten 30 inches to end January, but darn, there wasn't any snow cover in the Midwest so instead we're sunny and in the 50's."

There is snow cover immediately to our north and northwest, so that intrusions of arctic air, should the pattern allow, will not be significantly modified.

How do you know the Broncos will not win?, do you not believe in jesus. Shame on you.

They'll need his help being a 9 point home dog !

I guess you became alot more religious tonight.

P.S. You guys are lucky sob's drawing them, it is like a bye all the way to the championship game.

Especially with a low sun angle still, I don't think snow cover is going to be the huge factor that busts up our winter. It's not going to be "Oh well we would've gotten 30 inches to end January, but darn, there wasn't any snow cover in the Midwest so instead we're sunny and in the 50's."

There is snow cover immediately to our north and northwest, so that intrusions of arctic air, should the pattern allow, will not be significantly modified.

I don't think people are thinking that..just in marginal cases like icing or borderline 32F snows.

I don't think people are thinking that..just in marginal cases like icing or borderline 32F snows.

Exactly....he keeps sensationalizing the other perspective in order to garner more support for his stance.

It matters.....no one said it's the difference between January 2011 and January 2012.

One thing I started noticing on guidance today is that for the Thursday storm, there could be the threat of some marginal icing in the interior. Too far out to say much in the way of detail.

Perhaps the most positive sign of this winter. Many had totally written Thursday off early as nothing but a rain storm for all. Although still a rain storm for most the guidance continues to come in colder. It was pointed out on Thursday that the Euro ENS seemed to indicate that colder scenarios were on the table.

There's also only snow to our due north or NNW. There is no snow cover over most of the Great Lakes region so any air advecting in from the W is going over bare ground. It helps modify our airmasses before they get here, and thus sets us up for a little less wiggle room for the next event.

Its never the primary driver, but it can begin to feedback on itself as a secondary variable.

Perhaps the most positive sign of this winter. Many had totally written Thursday off early as nothing but a rain storm for all. Although still a rain storm for most the guidance continues to come in colder. It was pointed out on Thursday that the Euro ENS seemed to point out that colder scenarios were on the table.

We've seen events trend colder, then back pedal at the last moment...most notably the Dec 23 event.

There's also only snow to our due north or NNW. There is no snow cover over most of the Great Lakes region so any air advecting in from the W is going over bare ground. It helps modify our airmasses before they get here, and thus sets us up for a little less wiggle room for the next event.

Its never the primary driver, but it can begin to feedback on itself as a secondary variable.

Yeah I don't know why Sam is trying to argue. Garbage airmass advecting over brown ground, or garbage airmass advecting over snow cover. That's a difference between 31F and 33-34F imo.

Exactly....he keeps sensationalizing the other perspective in order to garner more support for his stance.

It matters.....no one said it's the difference between January 2011 and January 2012.

WTF? Sensationalizing in order to garner support? Yeah that's definitely how I get my kicks, trying to "garner support" on an online forum.

The reason I'm arguing is because that's definitely not our first concern. Sure it can feedback on itself as Will suggests, but plant a mega low over Alaska and over Greenland, the reason we're not getting snow here isn't because of insufficient snow cover to our west.

Archived