joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully an inch or two of mood snows up north tomorrow in the Lakes Region.

Your ride up will be mostly brown. There's some patchy snow cover by exit 18 but lots of bare spots along the highway. I have full snow cover at my house with about 3" remaining but a lot of the area looks like crud

Your ride up will be mostly brown. There's some patchy snow cover by exit 18 but lots of bare spots along the highway. I have full snow cover at my house with about 3" remaining but a lot of the area looks like crud

Yeah I heard they had like 3-4" with bare spots there. I wonder if I get downsloped tomorrow. How are N-NE winds? I know the Ossipees and the Whites can be a b*tch with that wind direction.

Yeah I heard they had like 3-4" with bare spots there. I wonder if I get downsloped tomorrow. How are N-NE winds? I know the Ossipees and the Whites can be a b*tch with that wind direction.

If the flow is strong enough I start noticing it when the wind backs to about 020-030. It's not too brutal until the whites downsloping takes over with west of north winds.

41.5F for my high. First real patches of lawn on the steep SW slopes afte 1 month of solid snowcover. The deer are loving it as you can see from this snap shot off my weather cam.

Pic at around sunset.

Wow , amazing shot. Beautiful sunset!! Sure hope you have a good fence for the veggie garden. Yikes thats a lot of deer.

Tough to tell in te dark but about 4-6" of glaciated snow here in CEnter Harbor. Have no idea how I've fishing derby is going to happen based in the quick glimpse I saw. Either way, refreshing to see snow in the original GC.

The derby isn't restricted to Winnipesaukee. People can fish any body of water in the state, so I imagine a lot of people will be on the smaller and probably safer lakes.

I thought the Meredith derby was on the lake front. Is there something on Wakewan?

It is... the derby headquarters is in Hesky Park in Meredith on the waterfront. That's where they hang the winning fish on the board and where most of the action and vendors will be. There will likely be quite a few people on Waukewan too and all the other nearby lakes.

Some folks go allllllllllll the way up to the CT lakes region which is three hours north. They are dedicated.

Oh my god its snowing outside. 0.2" so far here at the mountain, coming down decently all the sudden. Radar doesn't look inspiring though.

Its either all or nothing this winter... we went on that 10 day snow binge with at least 1" each day, and then followed that up with 7 straight days without a drop of precip, or really even any clouds.

BTV yesterday was saying the max precip amounts over the next 7 days look to be in the northern mountains with 0.15-0.25" cummulative. Wow, that seems like a riviting week coming up if we can total 1-3" over the next 7 days, lol.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

It looks like snow only started up within the past couple of hours, but there were a couple of tenths of an inch down as of 6:00 A.M. observation time. Prior to this, the most recent accumulating snowfall recorded here was last Saturday morning, when the final couple of tenths fell during that northwest flow/upper level disturbance event. That puts the interval between accumulating snow at just shy of a week, which is notable for this area, even with the dearth of snowfall this season. Apparently there’s some good potential for snow over the next couple of days based on comments in the forecast discussion from BTV; in their synopsis they note the possibility for several inches in the mountains.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

I took some runs early this morning, now sitting in the office going over our snowfall and precip records over the past 5 years to prepare some info for a board meeting, and man some of these recent years were awesome. I yearn for some of these storm cycles and the seasons like 2008-2009 (352"), 2007-2008 (374") have some great periods of snowfall.

Take this period in February 2009... starting 2/19 and ending 2/24:

2/19...7"

2/20...8"

2/21...12"

2/22...2"

2/23...14"

2/24...11"

54" total in 6 days... we need one of those storm cycles this month!

No showers here yet. Anxiously awaiting my 0.1".

And yeah, it sure has been dry lately. I skied out through a beaver meadow nearby to the hosue yesterday and the water has dropped enough so that the ice has collapsed...

I got my .01" early this AM with a brief lowering of vis to about 5 miles for 15 minutes. Sun coming out now and temp getting close to freezing. May even have a bit more melting on the south slopes.

I am starting to get concerned about dryness too. Just so little snow cover to melt and fill the ponds when we have spring melt. But its only Feb 11th and have 6 more weeks to go so we got to get something out of this winter......or yet, maybe not?

I took some runs early this morning, now sitting in the office going over our snowfall and precip records over the past 5 years to prepare some info for a board meeting, and man some of these recent years were awesome. I yearn for some of these storm cycles and the seasons like 2008-2009 (352"), 2007-2008 (374") have some great periods of snowfall.

Take this period in February 2009... starting 2/19 and ending 2/24:

2/19...7"

2/20...8"

2/21...12"

2/22...2"

2/23...14"

2/24...11"

54" total in 6 days... we need one of those storm cycles this month!

I hear ya. Those were some good ski days during presidents week vacation. I remember returning to work exhausted after skiing hard 9 days in a row. The shame of it now, is the base in the woods is really quite good. Firm but edgeable. Just need some fresh on top of it.

Blue sky and 33f now.

Here comes the arctic chill... 0F and breezy at 1,500ft. Walking across the parking lot to the office at 5:15am was quite chilly.

But I can't wait to get a chairlift this morning... clocking near 40mph gusts with -11F at the summit. Wind chill has already hit -40F this morning and we are supposed to keep falling today.

Wow, wasn't expecting BTV's forecast to take quite a snowy turn here over the next 36 hours... I'm not exactly sold on anything more than D-1". Its snowing here this morning, but the flakes are the smallest things I've ever seen. its like a mist at 0 degrees.

Today: A chance of flurries before 1pm, then snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near -2. Wind chill values as low as -34. North wind between 13 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight: Occasional snow showers. Low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -33. Northwest wind between 11 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -25. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

AS OF 400 AM EST SUNDAY...FCST FOCUS WL BE AREAL COVERAGE/INTENSITY OF

UPSLOPE MTN SNOW SHOWERS THRU TONIGHT. WATER VAPOR SHOWS 5H VORT

DIVING ACRS THE OTTAWA VALLEY ATTM WITH SOME ENHANCE MID LVL

MOISTURE STREAMING TWD OUR FA. THIS MOISTURE COMBINED WITH

FAVORABLE UPSLOPE FLW WL PRODUCE MAINLY MTN SNOW SHOWERS THRU

TONIGHT...WITH SOME ACCUMULATION ANTICIPATED. LOCAL BTV 4KM SHOWS

0.25" QPF AT JAY PEAK BY 18Z MONDAY...WHILE THE NAM 12KM HAS

0.19". THESE MESOSCALE EVENTS ARE VERY TRICKY TO FCST...DUE TO HOW

POORLY MODELS HANDLE LLVL MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH VERY COLD

AIRMASS. HOWEVER...UPSTREAM OBS SHOW LIGHT SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH

VORT ACRS CENTRAL/SOUTHERN CANADA. IN ADDITION...SECONDARY SURGE

OF ARCTIC AIR ARRIVES THIS AFTN...WITH PROGGED 85H TEMPS DROPPING

BTWN -22C AND -26C BY 00Z TONIGHT ACRS OUR CWA...WHICH WL HELP

SQUEEZE ADDITIONAL MOISTURE FROM THE ATMOSPHERE. BOTH NAM12 AND

BTV4KM SHOW FAVORABLE RH PROFILES IN THE BEST SNOW GROWTH

REGION...ALONG WITH 1000 TO 700MB NW UPSLOPE FLW OF 20 TO 35 KNTS

THIS AFTN...AND GOOD 1000 TO 700MB OMEGA PROFILES...ACRS THE

WESTERN SLOPES. WL MENTION CHC POPS THIS MORNING ACRS THE DACKS

AND NORTHERN/CENTRAL GREENS WITH LIKELY POPS DEVELOPING THIS AFTN

INTO TONIGHT. THINKING SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACRS THE MTNS WL RANGE

FROM A DUSTING TO 2 OR 3 INCHES OF FLUFF BY MONDAY MORNING. WOULD

NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE SOME HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS NEAR JAY PEAK TO

NORTH UNDERHILL BY MONDAY AFTN. ITS A FINE LINE WITH REGARDS TO

AMOUNT OF LLVL MOISTURE AVAILABLE IN ARCTIC AIR MASS AND IF CLOUDS

CAN DEVELOP ENOUGH VERTICALLY TO SUPPORT ACCUMULATING SNOW OR

JUST FLURRIES. GIVEN LLVL NATURE OF THIS UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWER

ACTIVITY...RADAR WL HAVE DIFFICULTIES DETECTING THIS LIGHT PRECIP

IN THE MTNS THIS AFTN/TONIGHT...AS THE BEAM WL BE OVERSHOOTING THE

TOP OF THE CLOUD/PRECIP.

Anyone know how that northern slope of the Whites is doing this winter? I'd have to imagine its similar to the northern Greens... that area is never talked about but its always highlighted in these orographic precipitation situation. I don't even really know what towns are up there... I'd just assume no one cares or mentions it because the population has to be much less than the upslope region here in VT being so close to Burlington and also including VT's most populated county.

Anyone know how that northern slope of the Whites is doing this winter? I'd have to imagine its similar to the northern Greens... that area is never talked about but its always highlighted in these orographic precipitation situation. I don't even really know what towns are up there... I'd just assume no one cares or mentions it because the population has to be much less than the upslope region here in VT being so close to Burlington and also including VT's most populated county.

Not sure how theyre doing this year, but the towns that get the upslope are Jefferson, Randolph and Gorham.They sit on the NW slopes of the pres range. Its localized though, Randolph along route 2 is usually the Jackpot. Also, the high country North of route 26 gets quite a bit and holds it long into the spring. The acme of this area is Coleman state park. Its around 2300 ft at the parking lot and gets slammed on West-NW winds. Especially compared to Colebrook in the CT. valley thats only 15 min away. Very little falls there.

Nice to awake to snow OTG and bitter cold this morning. Not as many in the ice today, probably because if the conditions. It's just good for the soul to see snow.

Regarding nrn NH a coworker just went snowmobiling in Pittsburgh NH and they had an 18" snowpack at around 1300' . Waist deep at 3000'.

Nice to awake to snow OTG and bitter cold this morning. Not as many in the ice today, probably because if the conditions. It's just good for the soul to see snow.

Regarding nrn NH a coworker just went snowmobiling in Pittsburgh NH and they had an 18" snowpack at around 1300' . Waist deep at 3000'.

Nice.. thanks for the info guys. That sounds about identical to what I have at my snow stakes and would seem fitting as the meso-models always hit that area just as hard as the northern Greens in most cases. I have 17" at 1,500ft and 40" at 3,000ft (46" at 3,700ft co-op stake). And that is a rock solid snowpack that you walk on top of, lol.

Hopefully both upslope regions can pick up at least a few inches from this next round.

Archived