joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One Year Later: Remembering the KU Boxing Day Blizzard HECS

Hailstorm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember the evolution because we were tracking the storm that nailed Cape Cod on the 20-21st. I can't remember exactly how it went.

I remembered that storm too. It was progged by the some medium range runs, including the Euro and GFS to gives us major snowstorm in NYC metro. That one didn't turn out well, because there was a huge low in the Pacifc, was screwing the wavelengths.

Trust me, it was the 18z run of the gfs on 12/17/11 that had a 500 low go from california to just under NYC that got the weenies stiring.

I remember it because I had to leave work early with a migraine and I could barely drive home.

I crawled into bed and couldnt get the model run out of my mind.

I think I remember that GFS run too. But at that range, all you want to see, is the models just pick up on threat. Which I believe they all did, in some form.

Upton HWO on 12/21/2010 in the morning:

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CHRISTMAS

NIGHT INTO SUNDAY NIGHT. LOW PRESSURE IS FORECAST TO TRACK FROM

THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY CHRISTMAS EVE TO OFF THE SOUTHEAST

COAST ON CHRISTMAS DAY...THEN UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD ON SUNDAY.

SINCE THIS IS STILL SEVERAL DAYS AWAYS...THE EXACT TRACK AND

DETAILS OF THE STORM WILL LIKELY CHANGE.

12/21/2010 6z DGEX accumulated QPF:

DGEX QPF.gif

12/21/2010 12z Euro:

day5.gif

slp.gif

day63.gif

day61.gif

12/21/2010 12z UKMET:

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

12/21/2010 12z GGEM:

ggem1.gif

12/21/2010 12z JMA:

post-20962-1292982848.gif

There is a one "IF" factor.... that would have made this storm the king.... The duration...

i think the last two blizzards that really lasted longer but not as strong as the boxing day blizzard is pd2 and blizzard of 96. those storms werent nearly as strong but there duration made up for there strength. boxing day had it lasted the duration of 96' forget it the accuweather map of 30"+ could be expanded 2 times plus, not counting the extreme winds we experienced as well.

i think the last two blizzards that really lasted longer but not as strong as the boxing day blizzard is pd2 and blizzard of 96. those storms werent nearly as strong but there duration made up for there strength. boxing day had it lasted the duration of 96' forget it the accuweather map of 30"+ could be expanded 2 times plus, not counting the extreme winds we experienced as well.

Both of those storms had much more widespread coverage of heavy snow also. For as strong a storm as Boxing Day 2010 was, it had a pretty small area of heavy snow accumulations. Unfortunately, I was just a little too far west, which is why this one will be remembered as nothing more than an ordinary snowstorm to me (only ended up with 9''). Frustrating, especially since back at college at Rutgers (just 25 minutes away), they got more than double what I got.

Both of those storms had much more widespread coverage of heavy snow also. For as strong a storm as Boxing Day 2010 was, it had a pretty small area of heavy snow accumulations. Unfortunately, I was just a little too far west, which is why this one will be remembered as nothing more than an ordinary snowstorm to me (only ended up with 9''). Frustrating, especially since back at college at Rutgers (just 25 minutes away), they got more than double what I got.

yea the boxing day storm outside of the jackpot zone it was general 9-15 inches. here on long island i only got like 15" nyc got like 12" but nenj got over 2 feet in some spots. thats what makes me still believe the two storms that i named are still the top two i experienced due to as you said the much wider coverage of the heavy snowfall

yea the boxing day storm outside of the jackpot zone it was general 9-15 inches. here on long island i only got like 15" nyc got like 12" but nenj got over 2 feet in some spots. thats what makes me still believe the two storms that i named are still the top two i experienced due to as you said the much wider coverage of the heavy snowfall

NYC got 20" on Boxing Day. Brooklyn, Queens and all the boroughs all got 14"-20" as well.

Jan. 26-27, 2011 also dropped 14-20" over all of NYC.

NYC got 20" on Boxing Day. Brooklyn, Queens and all the boroughs all got 14"-20" as well.

Jan. 26-27, 2011 also dropped 14-20" over all of NYC.

I still wonder to this day if I undermeasured the Boxing Day Storm...recording 11.0" in Port Jeff....the two towns that bookend me...East Setauket and Mt Sinai... came in with 15.0" and 14.2"....it was a tough storm to measure because of the wind....

I still wonder to this day if I undermeasured the Boxing Day Storm...recording 11.0" in Port Jeff....the two towns that bookend me...East Setauket and Mt Sinai came in with 15.0" and 14.2"....it was a tough storm to measure because of the wind....

i thought it was mostly rain on the island for this storm.

I still wonder to this day if I undermeasured the Boxing Day Storm...recording 11.0" in Port Jeff....the two towns that bookend me...East Setauket and Mt Sinai came in with 15.0" and 14.2"....it was a tough storm to measure because of the wind....

Check upton's precip total and use 10-12 to 1.

I remember that your part of LI received about 1" of precip while NYC was close to 2".

Check upton's precip total and use 10-12 to 1.

I remember that your part of LI received about 1" of precip while NYC was close to 2".

I'm located about midway between Islip (1.00") and Bridgeport (0.83")...so, in retrospect, maybe I did a good job....

Thanks for the advice AG...

I'm located about midway between Islip (1.00") and Bridgeport (0.83")...so, in retrospect, maybe I did a good job....

Thanks for the advice AG...

The banding outside of the superband over earthlight was sporadic.

That's why LGA reported 14" and so did I in Astoria, while 7 miles east in Bayside at work, I had 18"-19".

Jan.26-27, 2011 was a widespread 14"-20" which is why I love that storm more. Not to mention the over a dozen lightning and thunder strikes I had. At one point it was non-stop lightning while ripping 3"-4" and hour and winds of 40+mph.

I think a lot of people were sleeping when the amazing band came over all 5 boroughs at 12:30am, Jan. 27, 2011. I've never seen snow, lightning and wind like that before. It was absolutely incredible.

I remember talking to Sundog and Trials on the phone and we were all at a loss of words from midnight until 4am.

The banding outside of the superband over earthlight was sporadic.

That's why LGA reported 14" and so did I in Astoria, while 7 miles east in Bayside at work, I had 18"-19".

Jan.26-27, 2011 was a widespread 14"-20" which is why I love that storm more. Not to mention the over a dozen lightning and thunder strikes I had. At one point it was non-stop while ripping 3" and hour.

too bad outside of me you and earthlight everyone went to be thinking the storm was over. All of I-95 was lit up, it looked like one big line of thunderstorms on radar.

Archived