• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

You've had only 15" so far this season? Wow, we're separated by only 10 miles or so and I'm closing in on two feet. But anyway, I agree with what you're saying. Once this rainstorm moves along and we can concentrate on the clips, it'll be business as usual for NNE.

yeah, check my sig. We only got 5" on 10/31. Bring on the clippers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've had only 15" so far this season? Wow, we're separated by only 10 miles or so and I'm closing in on two feet. But anyway, I agree with what you're saying. Once this rainstorm moves along and we can concentrate on the clips, it'll be business as usual for NNE.

Yeah I'll take clippers all day after what happened yesterday and last night, lol. And if they are strong clippers I think we all do pretty good with those light 2-5" snowfalls. Its better than taking chances with this cutting west crap of the southern stream.

Honestly the rain we get shouldn't knock this completely down to the ground and I think it'll just add some substance to the snowpack and then allow us to put some snow on it on the back end.

PF- don't sweat tomorrow night to much. I think the storm will bring enough back end snow to really not be much of a big deal. I mean I could be wrong but these messy storms somehow always seem to just hammer above 2000ft as that mid level low swings trough. the models are all over the front end synoptic precip but never really compute how that lingering pool of cold moist air just wants to snow. I'm pretty stoked. A little warm up, creaming out the base, snow on top without a flash freeze. Woof. A few clippers on the way. Tell where to sign u for that?

Event totals: 5.1” Snow/0.32” L.E.

We’ve been traveling around New England a bit over the past couple of days, so we were away for much of the recent upslope event, but now that we’re back I was able to run the liquid analysis on the rest of the snow; the final totals are posted above.

As for the trip, I’ll provide a quick weather-related synopsis. As I detailed in my Sunday post, when we were leaving the house around 10:30 A.M., snow had already started. I measured 0.7” of very fluffy new snow on the snowboards and cleaned them off for the next round. I thought that the snow was going to start much later in the day, and you could tell that the snow was ramping up in intensity, so it had that feeling of a decent upslope dump. It was a little frustrating to leave at that point, but I set up our web cam monitoring the calibrated measuring boards I set out when we’re away on these types of occasions. I’ve got a couple of wooden blocks with 2-inch increments that are about 4 inches high, and then one larger block with 3-inch increments that is about a foot high. Doing a quick frame grab from the web cam allows me to blow up the image in Photoshop and get a good measurement on the snow that has fallen.

So we headed south on I-89, and because of the storm the driving was actually a bit slow all the way through to that Northfield-Brookfield stretch (the high point of I-89) before finally tapering off in the Randolph-Bethel area. Natural snow was actually present on the ground for a good chunk of our trip – the point at which it finally faded was around the junction of I-89/I-93 and the I-93 toll plaza in New Hampshire. This trip was one of the more dramatic examples of NNE/SNE weather dichotomy; we left Waterbury with a temperature of 18.7 F, with full-on winter conditions of building snowfall, tricky travel, etc., and a few hours later we were along the east coast of Rhode Island (Barrington) where the temperature was ~40 F with breaks of sunshine, relatives were hanging out in the back yard and kids were playing on the trampoline. While 40 F isn’t all that warm (and may not even be that far from average for coastal Rhode Island), the 20 F plus change in temperature and coming from a snowstorm to beautiful green grass was a bit of a shock. It was really fun hanging out outside though. We headed north to the South Shore area (Norwell) that evening, and the temperature during the drive was even warmer – it was mid 40s F with some rain.

I generally haven’t had to use my larger calibrated block for snow measurement when we’ve been away, but when I checked the web cam and saw that the smaller blocks were basically buried under the new snow, it was clearly one of those occasions. A special thanks to Powderfreak for his many updates on the storm – the Stowe shots from both in town and on the mountain look great. I’m especially excited for all the holiday visitors to Stowe and the surrounding area that definitely got their money’s worth in terms of Vermont winter scenery and snowfall – on Christmas Day no less! It was fun visiting with family over the holiday, but it’s definitely nice to be back in the land of snow magic; I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of these next few snow events.

Holy inversion this morning...

I had 9F at my place at 800ft (MVL was 6F at 730ft)... then at 1,550ft it was 26F when I got here (since fallen to 24F).

A full 20F difference between MVL at 730ft and base of ski area at 1,500ft... that's an impressive gradient for 800 vertical feet.

I woke up this morning and walked outside and was like holy crow its cold out here... then I got up to the mountain and stepped out of my car and it feels ok in just a long sleeved shirt, haha.

Well, it got down to 10 here overnight, sitting at 16 now. Precedent cold ain't gonna help though.

There always seems to be one of these inland runners somewhere around the Holidays to f- things up...and it sounds like the type of system that leaves our driveway impassible without a liberal application of sand. I have barrels full of sand strategically placed up along the road on the steep part and I went out filled up a few buckets yesterday for the dooryard.

Not looking forward to this. :arrowhead:

I had 9F at my place at 800ft (MVL was 6F at 730ft)... then at 1,550ft it was 26F when I got here (since fallen to 24F).

A full 20F difference between MVL at 730ft and base of ski area at 1,500ft... that's an impressive gradient for 800 vertical feet.

I woke up this morning and walked outside and was like holy crow its cold out here... then I got up to the mountain and stepped out of my car and it feels ok in just a long sleeved shirt, haha.

Long time lurker here. Im at the base of sugarbush at about 1500' and its 34 degrees. Amazing difference. Hoping tonight isnt too disastrous.

I was wondering how drastic the inversion was. It was 24° at my house but felt much colder here at work in downtown Montpelier but there isn't a thermometer arout to check the temps.

Since rain is a-comin', I took the kids to the hill next to us for their first experience with sledding. A good time was had by all.

As a kid 30+ years ago I'd stand up on my sled as I went downhill. Thought I'd give it a shot again. Sled stopped, I didn't. I cashed in pretty hard.

They would have been picking me up with a shovel to place on a stretcher after looking at your pic with my back.......... :axe:

Since rain is a-comin', I took the kids to the hill next to us for their first experience with sledding. A good time was had by all.

As a kid 30+ years ago I'd stand up on my sled as I went downhill. Thought I'd give it a shot again. Sled stopped, I didn't. I cashed in pretty hard.

lol. I used to stand up on the plastic sleds too. Many bruises. I think the roll up plastic sleds were the most fun, but dangerous. Went down a steep hill once and a small thumbsize tree root was sticking through the snow. Well it ripped through my sled, through my jeans and managed to whack my tailbone. It was a long painful walk home.

I popped up to Bolton to check out the results of the recent clipper/upslope snow and get in a couple runs. Temperatures were around freezing at the main base (2,100’) and probably a few degrees below freezing up around the Vista Summit (3,150’). At around 3:30 P.M. a little light sleet started to fall, and that was on and off. I arrived back at the house to find light snow falling and a temperature of 34.3 F.

Archived