Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I love this place, haha.

A 20% chance of snow showers on the point 'n click forecast this morning turned into 5" of snow on my car at the end of the day.

Still dumping.

Great pics!!! I have been very happy with my mood snow all day, but certainly wouldn't have minded 5" of the stuff :)!!

Wow! Did not expect that today. I'm speechless... just over 5" in the parking lot at 1,500ft between 10am-4pm.

Now I'm down in town and we've got around 4" of new snow today and it is still snowing. 3" from a trained spotter a couple hours ago makes sense.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

STOWE 3.0 246 PM 12/25 TRAINED SPOTTER

I’m out an about at the moment, but around 10:30 A.M. the snow had recently started up at the house there was already 0.7 inches of very dry snow on the snowboard. Here are the observations from that point:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 18.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-9 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

I didn’t get to look at the radar, but I suspected that there was a nice shot of snow coming in with the way it was building, and checking on our web cam there’s another 3.2 inches out there now, so it looks like we got blitzed along with what you were seeing. Wish I’d been there to watch, but it should be a nice addition to the slopes, even if it’s very fluffy stuff.

I’m out an about at the moment, but around 10:30 A.M. the snow had recently started up at the house there was already 0.7 inches of very dry snow on the snowboard. Here are the observations from that point:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 18.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-9 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

I didn’t get to look at the radar, but I suspected that there was a nice shot of snow coming in with the way it was building, and checking on our web cam there’s another 3.2 inches out there now, so it looks like we got blitzed along with what you were seeing. Wish I’d been there to watch, but it should be a nice addition to the slopes, even if it’s very fluffy stuff.

LOL, with 3.2" and 0.7" you have exactly the same amount of snow as I do at my place... 4". I still can't believe how hard it was snowing at times this afternoon. If we get some more snow tonight with the cold front and additional upslope, we'll verify Winter Storm Warning amounts. Plows are out in town, holiday lights are on under the snow, its a Christmas night to remember out there.

Given 5" in the Mansfield parking lot and 6" at the top of the Gondola, I would have to imagine that Bolton Valley got crushed this afternoon, too. Seeing as Bolton is reporting 4" as of 2pm, they were probably at 5-6" too by 4pm. I'm a little surprised Smuggs reported only 3" after 4pm today, as the lower elevation towns around the Spine have more than that right now.

Wow had a more interesting ride home from Christmas weekend than anticipated. Hadn't looked at a computer or watched TV since Friday so this was unexpected. Very light snow at 10 am turned moderate by 3Pm and still going strong out there. Looks like about 2.5" at this point and the forecast is for 4-5". Sweet. Perfect snow for christmas day. Looks like it will get washed away by mid week but what great Christmas weather.

Posted this in the clipper/windex obs thread... but wow, I am speechless at how much snow came out of the sky when models were showing around 0.1-0.25" liquid for the event. Plow drivers are out in full force this morning. It looks beautiful out there... no wind in the village with snow stacked up high on every tree and object.

We verified Winter Storm Warning amounts out of that puny little system thanks to the Greens.

800ft in the village... *note I forgot to clear my measuring area, so that new snow overnight is just the increase in storm total depth. I have 7" on the ground in the past 18 hours.

New Snow overnight: 3.0"

Storm Total Depth: 7.0"

Total Snow Depth: 9.5"

1,500ft base of ski resort...

New Snow overnight: 3.5"

Storm Total: 8.5"

Snow Depth: 12.0"

In contrast, my buddy is reporting a half inch total in BTV in the valley. Long Live Green Mountain Upslope! haha... I suffered through 5 years living in the CPV outside of the upslope region, so now its time to reap the benefits.

800ft in the village... *note I forgot to clear my measuring area, so that new snow overnight is just the increase in storm total depth. I have 7" on the ground in the past 18 hours.

New Snow overnight: 3.0"

Storm Total Depth: 7.0"

Total Snow Depth: 9.5"

That’s great to see, current event total for our location looks to be 5.1 inches, but I won’t be able to run the more detailed liquid analyses until later. Hopefully the holiday resort visitors are loving the new snow and scenery. For the areas that have reported in so far, I’ve got the north to south list of event totals (48-hour snow totals) at Vermont ski areas below. The Smugg’s to Bolton stretch along the spine looks to have done nicely with this one, with Mt. Mansfield right in the sweet spot – glad to have you out there doing the snow analyses PF:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 7”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Bromley: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

LOL, with 3.2" and 0.7" you have exactly the same amount of snow as I do at my place... 4". I still can't believe how hard it was snowing at times this afternoon. If we get some more snow tonight with the cold front and additional upslope, we'll verify Winter Storm Warning amounts. Plows are out in town, holiday lights are on under the snow, its a Christmas night to remember out there.

Given 5" in the Mansfield parking lot and 6" at the top of the Gondola, I would have to imagine that Bolton Valley got crushed this afternoon, too. Seeing as Bolton is reporting 4" as of 2pm, they were probably at 5-6" too by 4pm. I'm a little surprised Smuggs reported only 3" after 4pm today, as the lower elevation towns around the Spine have more than that right now.

Damn! As I said earlier..it is these "clipper" systems that always over perform for the greens. Always. We forget about them and next thing you know there is 5-9 fresh and it's a powder day.

Looks like this next event will come in a little warm. And that's not a bad thing. A little warmth will pack this new fluff down and boom now there's a legit base EVERWHERE. By next weekend, it's game on.

That’s great to see, current event total for our location looks to be 5.1 inches, but I won’t be able to run the more detailed liquid analyses until later. Hopefully the holiday resort visitors are loving the new snow and scenery. For the areas that have reported in so far, I’ve got the north to south list of event totals (48-hour snow totals) at Vermont ski areas below. The Smugg’s to Bolton stretch along the spine looks to have done nicely with this one, with Mt. Mansfield right in the sweet spot – glad to have you out there doing the snow analyses PF:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 7”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Bromley: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

Yeah, J.Spin... just FYI I know SkiVermont is showing 14" for us in the last 48 but that's really the last 72 hours. We have 10" last 48 hours (and Bolton has 10" in 48 hours, on their website, so it seems this stretch of the Greens got it good). Their reporting system is sort of interesting depending on how you imput the numbers or update midday. It likes to add totals too much. I sent an email out to a lot of upper level management that our competitors to the north and south seem to be reporting signficantly less snow, however I am extremely confident in my snowfall report this morning. It is the real deal, haha.

One responded saying "Why and how could you be wrong? There was 7-8" on my driveway in town. I thought there might even be more than 8-10 up here" etc, etc.

It appears we just got lucky.

Well, only 0.6" here yesterday/last night. Seeing what happened in the Greens, I'm surprised we didn't get a little more than we did. A few weenie flakes flying as I type.... ;)

Looks ugly for tomorrow night...even back to the NW. Ugh. There's been a paucity of phasing over the past few years. That might be about the only hope at this point.

If the current forecast comes to fruition, given the very cold and frozen ground beneath 3-5" of snow, I'd better have several buckets of sand on hand come Wednesday morning. :axe:

Just skied two runs and holy sh*t... I won't change my snowfall totals but 8-10" might be low. Hard to describe the scene out there this morning...still snowing, boot to knee deep blower powder. Around 18" in the past 3-4 days and it looks like it, too. Trees are just absolutely caked with snow... woods look buried... no more high grass showing on closed trails.. etc.

Just skied two runs and holy sh*t... I won't change my snowfall totals but 8-10" might be low. Hard to describe the scene out there this morning...still snowing, boot to knee deep blower powder. Around 18" in the past 3-4 days and it looks like it, too. Trees are just absolutely caked with snow... woods look buried... no more high grass showing on closed trails.. etc.

paradise. far northern new england is extra special all year round.

was looking at my weather journal from last year and despite the prolonged warm, nearly snowless pattern, we only had 15" snow by end of december last year, which is what we received so far this season. That was topped off by 56F weather on the 31st and 1st and all the snow was melted away. It wasn't until mid-jan where we finally locked into a good pattern and my snowmobile season commenced. Although this season has been off to a slow start, we're not that far off from where we were last year. The upcoming rain is unfortunate, but seems like we have at least one heavy rain event around x-mas every year or so. Fingers crossed the pattern changes for the better after midweek, but other discussions don't sound promising.

was looking at my weather journal from last year and despite the prolonged warm, nearly snowless pattern, we only had 15" snow by end of december last year, which is what we received so far this season. That was topped off by 56F weather on the 31st and 1st and all the snow was melted away. It wasn't until mid-jan where we finally locked into a good pattern and my snowmobile season commenced. Although this season has been off to a slow start, we're not that far off from where we were last year. The upcoming rain is unfortunate, but seems like we have at least one heavy rain event around x-mas every year or so. Fingers crossed the pattern changes for the better after midweek, but other discussions don't sound promising.

It will get better.. :snowman:

Snowfall totals from Lamoille County from this Clipper/Windex Event.

Trapp Family Lodge is located in town of Stowe (village of Moscow) at 1,400ft so it makes sense that they would come in with a similar number to my 8.5" at 1,550ft. About an inch to an inch and a half less in the Village than here at the base of the mountain.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

2 SSE SMUGGLERS NOTC 8.5 804 AM 12/26 STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT

2 NW MOSCOW 8.0 924 AM 12/26 TRAPP FAMILY LODGE

STOWE 6.8 804 AM 12/26 STOWE VILLAGE

CAMBRIDGE 6.0 953 AM 12/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

MORRISVILLE 5.5 859 AM 12/26 PUBLIC

2 S EDEN 4.2 929 AM 12/26 CO-OP OBSERVER

5 N JEFFERSONVILLE 4.0 917 AM 12/26 CO-OP OBSERVER

3 NE HYDE PARK 3.6 1019 AM 12/26 COCORAHS

I just saw that the BTV NWS has their first map out for the upcoming midweek storm – as of their early afternoon update they’re going with a general 3 to 7 inches for Northern New York and the Central and Northern Greens. I’m not sure how much liquid is going into the snowpack on the front end of this event, but hopefully it will work out like the last one by consolidating and substantiating the base for the powder that follows.

26DEC11B.jpg

... we only had 15" snow by end of december last year, which is what we received so far this season.

You've had only 15" so far this season? Wow, we're separated by only 10 miles or so and I'm closing in on two feet. But anyway, I agree with what you're saying. Once this rainstorm moves along and we can concentrate on the clips, it'll be business as usual for NNE.

Archived