Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly OT, knowing Josh and islands, but considering ease of flying to Hawaii, 2 decent sized islands with road networks, Oahu one island over from Kaui, would Josh chase the next Iniki threatening the Aloha State?

Nope.

1) I hate island chasing-- so not my thing-- and 2) HI doesn't get good 'canes. It's like Bermuda: for some reason, people associate HI with intense hurricanes, but the reputation is totally undeserved. Yeah, Iniki was cool, but that is it with regard to strong hurricane landfalls in HI for the last 50 years. So Iniki was essentially a fluke and I wouldn't expect that to happen again anytime soon.

:angry:

You never want me to have any fun.

It's time to shoot for something bigger than a cat 2.

The 2008 analogy is scaring me.

In other news....

Cory gave me the specs for BASTARD. Gonna start on one soon. Thought about waiting till y'all did more testing in SA to make sure that there isn't any kind of design flaws that were causing the issues with the kestrel.

It's time to shoot for something bigger than a cat 2.

Dude, check Post 1!

The 2008 analogy is scaring me.

Yeah, me, too.

In other news....

Cory gave me the specs for BASTARD. Gonna start on one soon. Thought about waiting till y'all did more testing in SA to make sure that there isn't any kind of design flaws that were causing the issues with the kestrel.

Very cool. Cory mentioned it to me. I think it was probably just the Kestrel I had-- must have been defective. The readings you got near Morgan City during Gustav seemed appropriate to me.

Do/did you aim the car downwind, so as to minimize rain on the windshield for best visibility, and only face into the wind when worried about unseen debris hitting the car?

Sorry for the delay. :D

Yeah, kind of. Which way to face the car is always a bit of a puzzle. As much as possible, I try to orient it so my window is downwind-- so I can get a shot through the open window, without the wipers going. That is definitely best.

But wherever I am and whichever way I'm facing, a sudden, interesting occurrence-- like a tree blowing down or a roof ripping off-- doesn't always happen downwind from me. It might happen upwind. In fact, the action usually doesn't happen exactly where I want it to, and so, for example, I get messy-- but interesting-- shots, like the one near the beginning of the Karl video, with debris flying toward the car (timestamp: 11:35 am). The wipers are going, the windshield is wet, the camera is shaking-- but, hey, it's my favorite shot in the video.

You can get nice shots through the windshield if it's facing downwind. The car was oriented pretty well as the cyclone's backside started up (timestamp: 12:20 pm) so that I could get a relatively clear, steady shot of destructive winds through the glass, without the wipers going.

A few times on that chase, flying debris nailed me from behind. There was a lot of flying debris in that chase-- way worse than usual. The air was just filled with it.

Nope.

1) I hate island chasing-- so not my thing-- and 2) HI doesn't get good 'canes. It's like Bermuda: for some reason, people associate HI with intense hurricanes, but the reputation is totally undeserved. Yeah, Iniki was cool, but that is it with regard to strong hurricane landfalls in HI for the last 50 years. So Iniki was essentially a fluke and I wouldn't expect that to happen again anytime soon.

The only US state in the tropics, and yet it does go a decade or more at a time. Of course, it is small. If it were as big as Texas, the state had a major in 1999 but we've gone majorless since 1983 (when I was in the Navy). Then again, we're not in the tropics...

Having been to Honolulu (in Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1982, manned the rail and saluted the USS Arizona, then went into Waikiki and did kamikaze shots with the guys because we were in Pearl Harbor on December 7th), a Cat 4 roof tearing off storm hitting Oahu would be something to see.

Maybe instead of us hanging out in Corpus for a few weeks you should just find somewhere in the new landfalling hotspot of Matamoros - Veracruz.

Jorge is getting all the action.

Hush, troll. :D

I'm enjoying Arlene from the sidelines. It's kind of relaxing to not feel like I have to chase this one-- to just watch on satellite and radar.

Real international men of action, the gay James Bond as it were, would chase Japan when the Atlantic is dead and the East Pac has tropical depressions headed for cold water.

Plenty of time to get down to the consulate and apply for a visa.

Ha ha, gay James Bond. The thing is, Japan rarely gets really hawt, yummy cyclones-- usually unraveling crap. Hardly seems worth the schlep of the expense.

Ha ha, gay James Bond. The thing is, Japan rarely gets really hawt, yummy cyclones-- usually unraveling crap. Hardly seems worth the schlep of the expense.

You spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. And you have cover to suddenly move out of Los Angeles.

Who knows where you were when bin-Laden got killed.

The marathon training is good cover for staying in shape as a 'wet operative'.

Remind me never to make you mad.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in the early stages of plan making for the Dolly chase when you were at the conference in 08.

Just sayin'....

Hey, what's up, dude? I've been at the conference, and between that and trying to stay on top of work, I've not been following too closely.

Is 90L looking like a W-Gulf threat to you? How funny that I'm going to be in TX this coming week. :sun:

I saw you mention Claudette in another thread. I would totally wub a Claudette. A Cat 1 can be hawt, and that was an example of Cat-1 hawtness.

I don't think 90L is the next Claudette. Claudette was already a TC, and while it came close to dying in the Caribbean, it managed to survive.

I think the earliest Texas thread just came off Africa, and I don't see model love for it, so I'd guess no earlier than early-mid August.

I still have hopes for 90L as a rain enhancer.

Hey, what's up, dude? I've been at the conference, and between that and trying to stay on top of work, I've not been following too closely.

Is 90L looking like a W-Gulf threat to you? How funny that I'm going to be in TX this coming week. :sun:

I saw you mention Claudette in another thread. I would totally wub a Claudette. A Cat 1 can be hawt, and that was an example of Cat-1 hawtness.

Looked like the wave at least would make it into the GOM. Weenies took over yesterday thinking that development was imminent when most of the mildly favorable conditions were days away.

Crazy as it sounds it has that Dolly like feel where it's just a wave until it gets near the YP/YC and then things get interesting. Don't get me wrong. It has nowhere near the organization or consensus of development Dolly had with her trek across the Caribbean, just the timing and potential future track.

Archived