• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Carolina 4-16-2011 Tornado Outbreak Pics, Vids, Personal Accounts Thread

eyewall

Great pics and vids Jeremy and Alan. It must be absolutely amazing to go through an experience like that, glad everything is ok for you personally..and wishing the best and speedy recovery for the others who were impacted. Great call also Alan and its good to know we have some expert forecasters right here on this forum. I was so busy with non-weather work that day, so just now getting a chance to really see all of this. I will say NC has been wracked pretty badly over the last couple of weeks, with all the major hailstorms,high non-storm winds, weak and strong tornadoes and loss of life and property. We need time to recuperate.

Thank you and this is very true. I honestly would be ok with a long break right now without question. On a side note I think this is the first youtube video I have posted that was popular enough to bring out the trolls.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you and this is very true. I honestly would be ok with a long break right now without question. On a side note I think this is the first youtube video I have posted that was popular enough to bring out the trolls.

Great vid man, congrats. Here is a contrast adjusted screen cap of that vid I posted. Amazing structure

for the East coast

42d4d0af-9b68-216e.jpg

You guys seen this?There are three vortexes, looks like that was filmed right before it entered Raleigh, you guys would know where it might be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRNwsm-GmKg

wow , amazing to this this happened in NC...those are suction vortices..something usually reserved for the best twisters in the alley. EDit..come to think of it I don't think SV touch the ground. Either way, amazing vid.

You guys seen this?There are three vortexes, looks like that was filmed right before it entered Raleigh, you guys would know where it might be.

Ignore the title. That is from Alabama. I believe I saw that video from the original poster, plus they mention Beatrice - there's a Beatrice in AL, not in NC.

I believe superstrm 93 posted this volume scan of the Raleigh tornado as it was overhead.( sorry if i handed out missed who posted this) I think this pic is extremely impressive and clearly shows the tornadic supercell's impressive structure. You can see the tornado/meso cyclone itself extending up to about 17k/ft..

This one was too close to home. Not as close as Alan, but it hit 11 miles from my house. The Wake Crossroads community near Rolesville was hit hard. I'm guessing that is where Alan is near. My son goes to preschool at a church there. Luckily, it was not hit. This was just crazy. The video of the tornado from WRAL coming into downtown showed a monster. It looked so huge. I had my wife and kids in the tub and was running back and forth to the TV to hear what was going on, and then the power went out. That was such a scary feeling. I think this will go down as the biggest tornado outbreak ever in NC. So many tornados and so many areas affected.

And if you want to relive the coverage, WRAL has over 9 straight hours online from when they strated covering the tornados. It gets really wild at the 1 hour and 20 minute mark when the tornado is coming into downtown Raleigh. Seeing that tornado coming in live was sureal.

http://www.wral.com/news/video/9452204/#/vid9452204

It passed just a little more than 1 mile away from my house (between Holly Springs and Raleigh). The most I experienced was about 30 seconds of fairly heavy wind during its closest approach. So I was fortunate, but it was still surreal being that close.

Today I passed by a swath of uprooted trees and debris in several neighborhoods off Ten-Ten Road just east of Holly Springs Road, but didn't see any serious structural damage. That seems consistent with the preliminary NWS report indicating it was an EF1 before reaching Raleigh.

Posted my vid earlier in the Apr. 15-16 thread. Maybe it's okay to re-post here in the video thread.

One thing that spooked me was that during my time in Wilson -- and even after, when I was a good 10 miles east of Wilson, getting into position for the next storm, I saw pieces of building material spinning down out of the sky. Never saw that before, certainly not when I was miles away from a tornado. Freaky.

Thanks Jeremy for your report to SKYWARN and the excellent video. Your report helped keep many in Wilson informed and safe, especially our family as I was listening to 146.880 at the time while monitoring on the front porch ...It has been a very busy day. I was able to view a lot of the damage within the blockaded zones in Wilson Sunday morning, and must say we are very fortunate that no lives were lost or serious injuries occurred, amidst all the property damage.

Posted my vid earlier in the Apr. 15-16 thread. Maybe it's okay to re-post here in the video thread.

One thing that spooked me was that during my time in Wilson -- and even after, when I was a good 10 miles east of Wilson, getting into position for the next storm, I saw pieces of building material spinning down out of the sky. Never saw that before, certainly not when I was miles away from a tornado. Freaky.

Great video!

Thanks Jeremy for your report to SKYWARN and the excellent video. Your report helped keep many in Wilson informed and safe, especially our family as I was listening to 146.880 at the time while monitoring on the front porch ...It has been a very busy day. I was able to view a lot of the damage within the blockaded zones in Wilson Sunday morning, and must say we are very fortunate that no lives were lost or serious injuries occurred, amidst all the property damage.

Your welcome but the actual person who made the report was my chase partner Kevin Smith. He was the one manning the radio.

just noticed how close the Sanford tornado was to the nuclear power plant. i'm sure that its capable of surviving a EF-3 with no problems though.

Sorry to intrude on your thread, one was taken offline in VA if you hadn't see that:

Twister cuts power to Virgina Nuclear Plant - MSNBC

Reactors at Dominion Virginia Power's Surry Power Station shut down after what appeared to be a tornado touched down in the station's switchyard and access road, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

Archived