• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Frost Quake Strikes Indiana & Ohio

TheWeatherPimp

Ok, so at first this morning I thought I was losing my mind, but while in the shower my whole house shook (scared the sh*t out of me) and then all of my lights flickered. Obviously my first thought was a transformer problem or a car wreck, however none were reported anywhere close to my residence.

Since then, I got to work and numerous other employees (living at varying locations across the county) reported feeling it but at various different times. I have also checked with other law enforcement agencies across Eastern Indiana and Western Ohio who have had either employees or the public report feeling and hearing it.

No earthquakes on the USGS and the NWS didn't have any explanation for it?

Any ideas...........?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so at first this morning I thought I was losing my mind, but while in the shower my whole house shook (scared the sh*t out of me) and then all of my lights flickered. Obviously my first thought was a transformer problem or a car wreck, however none were reported anywhere close to my residence.

Since then, I got to work and numerous other employees (living at varying locations across the county) reported feeling it but at various different times. I have also checked with other law enforcement agencies across Eastern Indiana and Western Ohio who have had either employees or the public report feeling and hearing it.

Any ideas...........?

Check your backyard...Maybe ET just landed..

On a serious note..Maybe a utility failure somewhere close to you. Check the utility web sites. Had this happen here a couple years ago.

I know there was a big Natural gas explosion overnight that leveled some houses in Allentown, PA, but I don't know if that sound will travel that far. I know when two kids shot a bb gun at a shed full of dynamite in Des Moines once that sound travelled 100 miles shaking windows.

That sounds like a Darwin Award right there!

Any ideas...........?

We live just north of Mansfield, OH and we heard, or rather felt it here too. Like you, it shook our whole house. Definitely got our attention. My husband actually went outside to check and make sure everything was okay with the house. Apparently, it's not just eastern Indiana and western Ohio that experienced whatever it was. We live in north-central Ohio. We do live close to a National Guard base (Mansfield Lahm Airport), but they only fly C-130s out of there. I think the time was between 7:00 and 8:00 this morning when it happened.

I know there was a big Natural gas explosion overnight that leveled some houses in Allentown, PA, but I don't know if that sound will travel that far. I know when two kids shot a bb gun at a shed full of dynamite in Des Moines once that sound travelled 100 miles shaking windows.

This sounds silly, but I wonder if it could actually be true. Perhaps the atmosphere is favorable for transmitting sound west of the explosion (ducting?). I haven't looked at wx obs or timing, so I don't know if this is reasonable, but that would be something if the sound traveled across states.

This sounds silly, but I wonder if it could actually be true. Perhaps the atmosphere is favorable for transmitting sound west of the explosion (ducting?). I haven't looked at wx obs or timing, so I don't know if this is reasonable, but that would be something if the sound traveled across states.

Here's a nearby sounding from this morning

ILN.gif

I said on his fb page the gas explosion. I'm curious what it was. I was sleeping but I do recall at 330am dozing off and jumping up cause it sounded like something fell in my house or someone tripping. I got up to make sure no one was breaking in or something like that. But never did figure out what it was.

Whats weird is that everyone is reporting it occurred at different times, all in between 4:30 and 8:00 AM, but everyone reporting they heard and felt the same type of thing. I can tell you personally that I have felt the last two minor earthquakes that occurred, and this "shaking" was much stronger than both of those. I hurried and shut the shower off and got out to make sure I had no damage and that neither one of my wall mounted tvs fell off. Like I said, I've checked with numerous other dispatch centers and EMA offices across the area and several have reported the public calling in and reporting the same thing and facebook is lighting up with people talking about it. Very weird.

I am really reaching here but could it be some sort of pressure wave moving through gas mains because of that explosion? Perhaps that would explain the quake like feel? Again I realize that is a big stretch. One reason I am putting this idea forward is it might explain the different times it was experienced based on how it moved through the pipes. It would not be like a uniformally moving shockwave through the atmosphere that quickly dissipates as the energy disperses over an ever increasing area. In the pipes the energy can remain more concentrated over much longer distances.

I am really reaching here but could it be some sort of pressure wave moving through gas mains because of that explosion? Perhaps that would explain the quake like feel? Again I realize that is a big stretch. One reason I am putting this idea forward is it might explain the different times it was experienced based on how it moved through the pipes. It would not be like a uniformally moving shockwave through the atmosphere that quickly dissipates as the energy disperses over an ever increasing area. In the pipes the energy can remain more concentrated over much longer distances.

Anything's possible. I have several friends in local media here in Dayton and they are checking with Wright State seismologists for answers as they have been getting calls flooding their news room.

Do you live by any military installations?

When I was living in Alabama this happened. There was a booming sound at about 11 PM that woke people up all over northern Alabama. Nobody knew what it was until the next afternoon when Redstone Arsonal came out and said that a rocket engine that they were testing blew up later than they expected it to.

From our EMA Office:

Darke County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management We are investigating reports of some kind of loud "boom" and shaking this morning. So far there is no explanation. Ohio Emergency Management is assisting us and we have reached out to our neighbors in Indiana. The geological folks in Columbus are also investigating. Did you experience it??

Im not sure how it works, but dont different gas companies, have different pipes? Like I said I am not sure but if that is the case it could throw that theory out of the water.

From our EMA Office:

Darke County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management We are investigating reports of some kind of loud "boom" and shaking this morning. So far there is no explanation. Ohio Emergency Management is assisting us and we have reached out to our neighbors in Indiana. The geological folks in Columbus are also investigating. Did you experience it??

Interesting. I just wonder if that is what I heard @ 3-330am it almost sounded like something heavy fell and hit the floor. Didnt feel any shaking but I was, however, dozing off at the time.

Interesting from Mobile, AL yesterday..

MOBILE, Alabama - Some suspicious sounds caught the attention of many viewers Wednesday afternoon in Mobile.

Did you hear them?

A lot of people in the areas of west Mobile, Semmes, and Saraland said loud booms shook their windows.

Thomas Dixon was working at his business on Riley Street in west Mobile and said, "It just sounded like somebody running with a shotgun, or a sonic boom. Its aggravating, because you're in your shop working, its like, okay, boom, and then all of a sudden, boom, and then all of a sudden, boom."

But the mystery is solved.

Authorities at the Metro Firearms Training Facility near Big Creek Lake said the booms came from there.

They said the booms were from ammunition being used as part of homeland security training, and working with bomb sniffing dogs.

I'd say maybe it was training day around OH and IN, but surely not at 3am.

Do you live by any military installations?

When I was living in Alabama this happened. There was a booming sound at about 11 PM that woke people up all over northern Alabama. Nobody knew what it was until the next afternoon when Redstone Arsonal came out and said that a rocket engine that they were testing blew up later than they expected it to.

wright-pat is the first thing that comes to mind.

anyways i heard about it when i was talking to a friend on the phone this morning. He asked if we felt some kind of big rattle like an explosion this morning. I told him he was probably dreaming....then i saw this stuff. weird

Im not sure how it works, but dont different gas companies, have different pipes? Like I said I am not sure but if that is the case it could throw that theory out of the water.

That is a good point but I think much like the electrical grid major pipes are interconnected nationwide. Perhaps someone with more expertise in this area could comment on this?

Interesting. I just wonder if that is what I heard @ 3-330am it almost sounded like something heavy fell and hit the floor. Didnt feel any shaking but I was, however, dozing off at the time.

Interesting from Mobile, AL yesterday..

I'd say maybe it was training day around OH and IN, but surely not at 3am.

Yeah, I can definitely tell you it was not any training with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

Yeah, I can definitely tell you it was not any training with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

Well I just found it odd they were hearing them yesterday, was just a different theory. I am thinking we only have one real thing to go along with and that is the explosion in Allentown. I find it hard to believe the sound would make it all the way to western PA, and still have enough force to shake a house. The other thing is the times people heard it. It wouldnt take that long for a sonic boom to travel. Hopefully the EMA can give some answers. It was a UFO I tell ya, a UFO! lmao. JK

Well I just found it odd they were hearing them yesterday, was just a different theory. I am thinking we only have one real thing to go along with and that is the explosion in Allentown. I find it hard to believe the sound would make it all the way to western PA, and still have enough force to shake a house. The other thing is the times people heard it. It wouldnt take that long for a sonic boom to travel. Hopefully the EMA can give some answers. It was a UFO I tell ya, a UFO! lmao. JK

Are there any reports of people hearing sounds in any other part of PA or NJ? Since Allentown is so close to the NJ border, it would make sense that if people heard it in the midwest, people hear it in NJ and the rest of PA.

Agreed. It would be hard to believe that sound would travel that slow and again, I guess many people are reporting the booms at different times. I tried to look up some mining locations in Western Ohio and Pennsylvania in theory that maybe someone was doing some blasting. One mine in Pennsylvania released a public notice that they would be blasting. Unfortunately my research stopped there when they said they would be testing on 2/27-2/28 and they would not blast during the night. But, all of this is very weird indeed.

Are there any reports of people hearing sounds in any other part of PA or NJ? Since Allentown is so close to the NJ border, it would make sense that if people heard it in the midwest, people hear it in NJ and the rest of PA.

Yeah in the air the speed of sound would definitely get it there quicker than when the reports first came in. It would also make sense that if it were tied to the PA blast that people would have experienced it to the east as well (perhaps north and south too).

Archived